Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Teaching my girlfriend how to drive the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
STy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dakrush
The look on guys faces when my girlfriend hops in the driver seat of my evo and blows it sideways out of a parking lot banging it off rev limiter is one of the greatest feelings ever.

*story* My girlfriend and I went to get burgers at this order outside at a window type of place. Couple guys come walking over from across the st looking at my evo and talking about it. (its just on coils, stage 3ish, nothing special) Before they could get close to us I gave my girl the keys and she walked by them and hopped in the driver seat. The guys jaws were on the floor as they kept saying sayin "no way" louder and louder as she started it and rolled out of the parking lot. Once out of the lot she put it to the wood and dropped the clutch, topped first out spinning all 4 and then banged second. ( greatest sound EVER) I never scene guys freak out as much as these guys were. I bought the car to have fun and to bring me joy. Never thought one of my greatest joys would come from OUTSIDE the driver seat.
That's awesome!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, I taught my gf to drive on the evo as well.

My trick / advice is that at first don't even let her use the gas pedal. Just get her used to sloooooooowly letting off the clutch and letting the car roll.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 PM

I'm going to be teaching my girlfriend to drive my evo in the next couple months. Hopefully she can get a hang of the exedy twin. Teaching her first in the **** box aveo that she can do whatever she wants to.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had enough trouble teaching my ex to drive Prius (which only does reverse and drive, there isn't even a low gear). I've given up ever teaching a current significant other to drive one of my performance vehicles.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm all for it. I taught my wifey to drive when we first got together and now I'm confident that she can drive anything. Once I find my Evo I'm confident she will be able to drive that too.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:26 AM

Me and my woman are actually going to be mutually using my new 04 WW, building a 2.4 with a reworked evo9turbo, ported hotside ported compressor, td06sl2h turbine/shaft and billet 30r extended tip....Im going to DD it and she is going to autox it while Im in my road race build GSX, see what happens and how she likes my qm 8leg street....at least its torquey enough to come from a stop light hopefully?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I did the same thing let my girlfriend attempt to drive it.

1 month down the road my clutch went out.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my business partners says a man should never teach his wife how to drive, as a wife is accustomed to giving orders and being told what to do and how to do it will likely rub her the wrong way.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:43 PM

I run an exedy stage 2 clutch and my girlfriend has never stalled my car. Im so proud of her (wipes tear)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone from this thread needs a new TC or clutch I may have one for sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope these wives and girlfriends gave you all BUTT SECKS later that night for allowing them to drive the Evo. LOL
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to note is that a tighter driveline is easier to learn on than something with more slack. I taught two people to drive a proper transmission on my old Isuzu pickup, and one on my old DSM with solid shifter base and linkage bushings. My DSM died maybe twice, my truck died numerous times with each. It's just simpler when things are defined and accurate instead of trying to find gears every time with a clutch that's vague at best.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I let my wife drive my evo back to okc from houston 2 weeks after I bought it. While she complained about the clutch she did just fine. Of course her dad bought her a manual car for her first car and said either learn to drive it or walk. First manual car shes driven with any real power though.

Meanwhile, I learned to drive a manual in my dads 17 mile old 2002 Corvette leaving a Corvette club meeting lol.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:25 AM

Taught my wife how to drive my 05 sti, not sure about an evo...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha your insane... i know girls drive cars but i dont let them drive mine...

i dont trust my friends either.. so not just sexiest... mine!