Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone know ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know ?

hey guys, im seeing my mech next week so i will ask them then , but was wondering if you guys could help me out for now.

i know this is a really noob question but i' thought i';d rather be safe than sorry. firstly in the pic below on my dump, i was wondering is there suppose to be a bolt on that screw or is it fine? i never had an issue or anything i think but just wondering as i noticed it the other day

another issue i have is not so much an issue but just something anyone could help me answer.
i have full bolt ons, cams, tune etc, and a jasma rated exhaust which is a big muffler and is very quiet on idle.. but at WOT the car goes very loud almost like i have a external dump but not quite.. sound is like a loud shrieking noise.. ive always wondered as my friends have cannon exhausts (invidia hks etc) and they are louder on idle but at WOT they arent as loud ? is this related to my exhaust or something else causing the loud shrieking..

not necessarily a bad thing but just always wondered ! anyone with any info please share thanks !!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not familiar with that exhaust, but the noise may be just the way their resonators are designed. In that pic that is a threaded O2 housing flange so to answer your question, nothing is wrong, that's how it secures on there. The O2 housing is threaded so that's what keeps it on there. Just a different way of doing it vs how you see some oem styles where they have a nut welded from the factory.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Im not familiar with that exhaust, but the noise may be just the way their resonators are designed. In that pic that is a threaded O2 housing flange so to answer your question, nothing is wrong, that's how it secures on there. The O2 housing is threaded so that's what keeps it on there. Just a different way of doing it vs how you see some oem styles where they have a nut welded from the factory.

hmm well i do have a resonator in the catback as well .

thanks for the response tommiM !
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
It is a bolt. No nut goes there. The O2 housing is threaded and the bolt has a spring on it to keep tension on the bolt.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:16 PM

not sure exactly what you mean by a shrieking sound, like a belt squeal shriek or like a "this sounds like exhaust" shriek... anyways, if it's exhaust related and happens at WOT, I would think that is waste gate/O2 related... just speculating, but I would check that area, including the o2 gasket.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:04 PM

No you don't need that at all. The link im posting read it number 4 is the bolts you see. Hope that works for you.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...=3_7&tech_id=1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrippinKent
not sure exactly what you mean by a shrieking sound, like a belt squeal shriek or like a "this sounds like exhaust" shriek... anyways, if it's exhaust related and happens at WOT, I would think that is waste gate/O2 related... just speculating, but I would check that area, including the o2 gasket.
is there anyway i can check without taking the dump off ? check for leaks? would any of taht cause a loud shriek noise? i always thought it was my intake /engine , cams making the noise, but now im not sure.. possibly the dump related or soemthing.. nothing is wrong though, holds boost etc.

Originally Posted by evostreetkilla0
No you don't need that at all. The link im posting read it number 4 is the bolts you see. Hope that works for you.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...=3_7&tech_id=1
link doesnt have anything is jsut blank evomoto site

Thanks for the response guys !
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:26 PM

well, aftermarket intakes can make more of a whistle sounds, but its a linear sound with throttle load. If the shriek is only at wot/near wot i would guess its wg related (again, guessing). I don't think i've ever heard cams make described sound either. as far as checking goes.
me guessa:
O2 housing leak:
I would just feel/use iphone camera to look and see if you can see a break in the connection points/where the gaskets are on the dump side of the housing... if its not loose it may be possible that when it opens on wot the exhaust pressure could be escaping out of on the housing ends... sometimes if i want to find a sound/problem that is situational I can mount my GoPro inside the bay with a light (in a safe, low heat area) and then go drive to see where the sound is. or if you find where there may be a leak, put a piece of heat shield tape on it to see if it pops off when it dumps/leaks.

Wastegate itself: no idea there, if its working properly I don't necessarily see it shrieking.

option 3, a bird stuck in the bay... or just your intake lol
I am kinda curious, regardless
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrippinKent
well, aftermarket intakes can make more of a whistle sounds, but its a linear sound with throttle load. If the shriek is only at wot/near wot i would guess its wg related (again, guessing). I don't think i've ever heard cams make described sound either. as far as checking goes.
me guessa:
O2 housing leak:
I would just feel/use iphone camera to look and see if you can see a break in the connection points/where the gaskets are on the dump side of the housing... if its not loose it may be possible that when it opens on wot the exhaust pressure could be escaping out of on the housing ends... sometimes if i want to find a sound/problem that is situational I can mount my GoPro inside the bay with a light (in a safe, low heat area) and then go drive to see where the sound is. or if you find where there may be a leak, put a piece of heat shield tape on it to see if it pops off when it dumps/leaks.

Wastegate itself: no idea there, if its working properly I don't necessarily see it shrieking.

option 3, a bird stuck in the bay... or just your intake lol
I am kinda curious, regardless

i saw a video that when testing for boost/exhaust leaks spray soapy water on joints n parts and if it bubbles therse a leak there? ? ill try find out how tight and sealed the gaskets all are and flanges, otherwise ill ask a shop when i take my car in soon.
also would you notice boost leak with a faulty gasket in the dump or anything like that ?

again i dont notice anything wrong and feels fine just sounds different to any other evos ive heard get on WOT. exhaust has 100cel cat, massive resonator in the middle , then a fairly big muffler too .. quiet idle, no drone driving, but very loud at wot, the best combination IMO but i am jsut investigating to be sure its all norm lol

i do appreciate the feedback though !
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

okay so just did a few runs coming home from work before. not necessarily on WOT/full throttle, but anywhere beyond 4k rpms i'd say .. maybe it is jsut the intake / muffler + resonator combo ? .. ill try to take a vid for sound, but does anyone know how i can post a video/sound recording ? thanks
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

another issue, i just inspected my exhaust today and found that i had this thin piece of metal/wire loose on my axle back flange (muffler > catback flange) ..

i think its part of the gasket but its come off and it seems the rest of it goes around as a outer layer inbetween the flanges.. is this piece necessary for me to replace or whats the go with it does anyone know ?

Last edited by elim0; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow you're meticulous! If you are worried, I would take it apart and inspect the gasket