Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burning clutch smell...help a newbie out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
The Evo also has one of the worst clutch systems (in terms of user friendliness) of any car out there.
I'll agree with that. The Evo requires the most finesse out of any manual transmission car I've had. (STi came in second place) However, I've had three different clutches between two VIII's and I found the ACT HDSS I used to have the easiest to drive with the most precise engagement point. I think it's more difficult to drive the stock clutch smoothly from a stop then the HDSS or my Competition 6-puck. Seriously.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:04 PM

so the clutch should be sweet? this is the first time i hav encountered the smell so it made me nervous lol and yes the clutch is not stock as i said before it has done less than 13ks.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:05 PM

how can i test if its slipping btw??? 5th gear revving past 3k or something right lol :P
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:07 PM

im suprised that you still have the stock clutch
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_8_REDYG0
how can i test if its slipping btw??? 5th gear revving past 3k or something right lol :P
I would do it in 4th, do a pull at around 3000 rpm. If it's slipping it will rev up to 5k then drop back down a few hundred rpm.

When learning how to drive try this. Make the car move forward with just the clutch pedal and not stall. That will give you a good idea of where the clutch's engagement point truly is.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:12 PM

Just her for a spin to see how everything is. Seems fine can't feel anything different revs didn't drop and the clutch didn't feel any different. Still had a slight smell of clutch, I drove it perfectly, made sure not to ride the clutch and put my foot on the footrest like you guys suggested instead of on top of the clutch, still there was a slight clutch burning smell in the air afterwards once I chucked it in the garage not as bad as yesterday but still there. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just her for a spin to see how everything is. Seems fine can't feel anything different revs didn't drop and the clutch didn't feel any different. Still had a slight smell of clutch, I drove it perfectly, made sure not to ride the clutch and put my foot on the footrest like you guys suggested instead of on top of the clutch, still there was a slight clutch burning smell in the air afterwards once I chucked it in the garage not as bad as yesterday but still there. Any thoughts?
Wait till tomorrow and see.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go under the car and check your downpipe for burnt fluids.

Awhile back my passenger side axle seal was leaking and leaking transfer case fluid all over the downpipe. It smelled very similar to a burning clutch. If that happens to be your problem fix it as soon as possible. The transfer case has about .6 qt of fluid in it and if they are not properly lubricated (ie your fluid spilling out) it will wear the ring and pinion gears causing a very annoying high pitched whine.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Put your left foot on the dead pedal when you aren't using the clutch if you aren't doing that already. That's what it's there for.
THIS^^ had a friend that had the same problem. Told him to do this and he said it remarkably changed his driving habbits. As far as clutch goes.

otherwise check for other leaks and burning things that may lead you to believe its clutch...brakes? fluids? heatwrap? many things can lead you to believe its the clutch.

Last edited by LOLZFWD; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
STy

Originally Posted by Raptord
Put your left foot on the dead pedal when you aren't using the clutch if you aren't doing that already. That's what it's there for.
+1 to this. I had a bad habit of just leaving my foot resting on the clutch pedal, after I started smelling it, I started putting it on the rest/dead pedal and the problem was solved.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:01 PM
STy

OP, are you downshifting or just putting it in neutral and costing to a stop? If you are downshifting, you could be riding it then.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure it's not the brakes you're smelling? Seized caliper?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:36 PM

Just took her for another spin, did a pull at 4th gear and 5th gear everything seemed fine no sliding at all luckily. I still had a slight odour of burnt clutch but barley noticeable tbh. Another thing I'm finding is my shifting is alot smoother when I rest my left foot on the dead pedal..haha anyway cheers for the help guys!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by STy
OP, are you downshifting or just putting it in neutral and costing to a stop? If you are downshifting, you could be riding it then.
Put it in neutral and coast 90% of the time rarely down shift unless I wanna have a quick boost.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
rarely down shift unless I wanna have a quick boost.
Do you rev-match on those occasions? If not, might be a good idea to practice. Rev-matching will further prolong the life of your clutch.

Quick Reply: Burning clutch smell...help a newbie out