Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burning clutch smell...help a newbie out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning clutch smell...help a newbie out

well i drive a 2003 evo viii gsr with 67k miles on it, ive had it for about a month, lol i rarely launch and try my best not to ride the clutch but it happens occasianly in traffic and stuff ya know....anyway ive been getting a distinct clutch burning smell which is worrying me...my clutch is the stock evo 8 clutch..

Thank you

Last edited by Evo_8_REDYG0; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 AM

Ive gotten the smell about twice.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be your driving/shifting habits. Is this your first manual transmission vehicle? I do occasionally get a clutch smell from my Evo when I do autocross events if it makes you feel any better.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Are you asking a question?

The answer might be that if you're not changing gears or coming to or starting from a complete stop your foot should not be near the clutch pedal.

If that was your question.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you slipping it hard?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:00 AM

Yea my first manual car i think im just riding the clutch a bad habit which i need to break ive been driving for about a month, the smell just worried me since it lasted about 2 hours.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the smell lasted 2 hours i'm guessing you launched it and slipped it pretty good. get ready for a clutch job with that many miles on it and your lack of experience driving on a clutch. take it easy on your clutch and practice in a safe open lot. stop and go stop and go without riding the clutch. dont launch it until you learn the basics first. could get expensive on you.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:46 AM

If this is your first manual car, I would suggest practicing in a parking lot if you have the time. Or find a neighborhood with a slight hill and practice there. That way you can learn where it grabs and get used to the feeling. Since it's your first car, like somebody said before prepare yourself for having to replace your clutch. I wouldn't worry about it since we all had to learn at some point.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_8_REDYG0
Yea my first manual car i think im just riding the clutch a bad habit which i need to break ive been driving for about a month, the smell just worried me since it lasted about 2 hours.
Put your left foot on the dead pedal when you aren't using the clutch if you aren't doing that already. That's what it's there for.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Unless the clutch is slipping its probably your driving. Definitely do not ride the clutch under ANY circumstances take your foot off it. It sounds like you just need some more experience driving and need to try to not slip it so much. You'll get it, it just might cost you a clutch in the end.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
67K miles on stock clutch is pretty good!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:41 PM

sorry i meant the car has done 67k the clutch was replaced and has done about 13kmiles
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry i meant the car has done 67k the clutch was replaced and has done about 13kmiles
Oh. Well, then keep learning to drive and save up for another clutch.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well i drive a 2003 evo viii gsr with 67k miles on it, ive had it for about a month, lol i rarely launch and try my best not to ride the clutch but it happens occasianly in traffic and stuff ya know....anyway ive been getting a distinct clutch burning smell which is worrying me...my clutch is the stock evo 8 clutch..

Thank you
Hey m8. Welcome...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A clutch is a wear item, and the stock clutch, as well as many aftermarket clutches are made from an organic material (that's what you smell). The odor is quite permeating, so it may linger for awhile.

As has been mentioned. If you aren't changing gears, your foot should be off of the pedal. The Evo also has one of the worst clutch systems (in terms of user friendliness) of any car out there. That, compounded with the fact that it's a high performance car, and the AWD, make it a VERY difficult car to get a feel for for someone new to manuals.

But don't fret. We've all been there, and you've got to learn somehow. I would probably NEVER launch your car until you REALLY learn how to drive manual though. Launching an AWD turbo car is very complex, and doing it wrong can be INCREDIBLY expensive. There are a good amount of threads (including some by me) on how to launch properly.

Be careful, save your pennies, and enjoy.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Get on and off the clutch quickly, don't ride it or slip it. If it's your first car with a manual transmission, it can be a little tricky getting it moving from a stop compared to learning on say a civic or something. Parking lot practice is key, you'll eventually get a feel for it.

Quick Reply: Burning clutch smell...help a newbie out