Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I know evo's are known to make some strange sounds...but...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know evo's are known to make some strange sounds...but...

So, I took the video while I was driving today...you can hear the sound from :05 - :07. I know its sort of hard to distinguish but it sounds just like it does in real life. To be clear, I'm talking about the loud braaaaap sound...comes in then you can hear the exhaust when it stops.

It only happens in low rpm situations, like second gear 1.5-2k rpm or when I'm luggin it, like when the car is vibrating the most trying to get going (so only when its in motion).

Its coming from the engine...its seriously loud as hell, almost like an o2 dump haha! Any one ever heard this or maybe could point to what it could be? Its hard to diagnose cuz it only happens when the car is in motion. Its happened since I bought the car.

Fun fact: I almost slammed into the car in front of me making this video because I wasn't paying attention. Hence the fevered dash for the clutch at the end hahah

Last edited by R. Burgundy; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure but I think u r just a bit too paranoid. Doesn't sound serious
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:40 PM

I cant tell for the life of me what your talking about, other then drivetrain gear-meshing noise, which is typical in awd cars...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

I believe you but I just don't hear it. I think I hear a new weird sound every time I'm in my 9. Drives me crazy lol. Not sure if its real or imagined.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

I had a strange noise under low rpm load.It turned out to be my turbo exhaust impeller scraping on the casing.Turbo also started smoking through the bushes,so that's how I knew to replace it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Gah sorry people I know it's hard to distinguish. When you're sitting in the car you can definitely hear it its just hard to capture on video.

Originally Posted by MrJuls
I had a strange noise under low rpm load.It turned out to be my turbo exhaust impeller scraping on the casing.Turbo also started smoking through the bushes,so that's how I knew to replace it.
Well this is a place to start I guess. How did you figure out it was scraping? My turbo does not smoke. And if I actuate the throttle from under the hood I can't replicate the sound.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

When i just bought a new one i took the old one out and saw the marks.Also the car started getting very laggy and we couldn't get more than 1 bar boost out of it.So I knew something was up.

I'm not saying you have the same issue but if your car is not pulling like it should it could also be the turbo.I had the noise when it was idling and i was pulling out of the garage,just that little rev higher i heard it...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same sound's at low RPM in my Evo. My evo personally doesn't like to sit below 2k rpm and accelerate. It'll make a braaaaap vibrating kind of noise and not have much pick up due to the turbo not spooling up and making the power needed to accelerate. Under 2k rpm is only good for highway and around town where your not accelerating much, just cruising at constant speed. Just downshift and keep the RPM's up a bit more. This is not an uncommon thing to come across. And it's made more noticeable by any aftermarket exhaust.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Can't hear anything
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I honestly don't hear anything but a normal exhaust tone..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by CDHoff
I believe you but I just don't hear it. I think I hear a new weird sound every time I'm in my 9. Drives me crazy lol. Not sure if its real or imagined.
+1 lol
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03upstatefire
I have the same sound's at low RPM in my Evo. My evo personally doesn't like to sit below 2k rpm and accelerate. It'll make a braaaaap vibrating kind of noise and not have much pick up due to the turbo not spooling up and making the power needed to accelerate. Under 2k rpm is only good for highway and around town where your not accelerating much, just cruising at constant speed. Just downshift and keep the RPM's up a bit more. This is not an uncommon thing to come across. And it's made more noticeable by any aftermarket exhaust.
Sounds like we got the same exact noise.

Thanks to every one who could actually hear it hahah I'm not too worried about it... its more embarrassing than anything else, cuz the car sounds like crap when it makes the noise. But beyond that it runs fine.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:52 PM

you should hear all the noises my car makes. id love to have one as quiet as yours
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is normal noise. It just sounds like normal load; when you're not in the right gear or rather transitioning/hesitating from either to throttle or brake in low rpms. And when was the last time you changed tranny fluids?