Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Climate controls new look!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jonnyg
the A/C controls on the USDM car certainly are ****ty. no doubt about that. at the same time you have to bear in mind that the USDM car is a LOT cheaper than say the UK model.

I've been discussing this very point with my Evo-VI driving buddy in the UK. In the UK an Evo VIII would set you back about $51k at current exchange rates neither of us can quite believe it.

so, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'd pay an extra $22k to have a nicer looking climate control

and to make matters worse you have to remember it's more than $6/gallon for gas...

This is just bad reasoning. The car in the UK, like any other car in the UK, is more expensive not b/c of extra **** like this, but b/c of other factors that affect ALL cars, all else being equal.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:48 PM

as it happens I'm from the UK so I have a pretty good idea why things are more expensive there

I was being a little sarcastic in the previous post (I don't really think that climate control costs $22K) - I'll try to make it more obvious next time...

Last edited by jonnyg; Feb 14, 2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:35 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Since I tried changing manual AC controls in my old 4cyl Accord with the automatic one from the V6s I can say it's not an easy task. And I actually gave up on it because from the research I've made, beside the controls inside the car you need some more parts too, like the temperature sensors and sheme of where to connect the wires from the new unit etc...
On the other hand, USDM Evo knobs feel worse than the Russian Lada I used to drive years ago. They feel horrible. I'll definitely remove then and see if I can get them replaced with some better quality switches. What especally irritates me is the cold/hot knob. You want to turn it a little but the thing gives resistance so you turn it too much and then have to roll it back... awful.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like SoR mentioned changing over to the JDM auto A/C is not cost effective. I've looked at the wiring diagrams and the fully auto A/C setup uses a ECU for the A/C plus a bunch of sensors and motors we don't even have in our cars. I was really hoping to do this also but have decided to relocate the manual mess in the glove box by getting some custom made cables made up which will free me up another din mount in the dash for audio or whatever else you want to mount up in it.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:20 AM
os2
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SoR
On the other hand, USDM Evo knobs feel worse than the Russian Lada I used to drive years ago. They feel horrible.
oh, boy. I used to own two Ladas, I know what you talking about, still makes me shudder
Did anyone do research what parts (motors, wiring harnesses, sensors, control unit) are required for electronic climate control conversion? If someone makes sort of a DIY kit for let's say $400-500, I'll buy one.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

ladas....hahah those things were funny.

I wish there was a way b/c I just want to put a touch screen in that location and relocate the a/c controls...sounds like a pain in the *** though so ... meh ... spend money on speed instead
Old Feb 16, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

i found an easy fix.. if it begins to heat up in your car,, press the pedal to the right on the drivers side. roll down all 4 windows.. and the when the ac'o'meter says around 140mph.. it will be a very strong nice breeze.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

haha... its in Celsius