Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IV Replacement Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV Replacement Turbo?

Hi guys I had my evo IV dyno tuned the other day on a dyno pack dyno made 170kw at the wheels but found out turbo has shaft imbalanced whistles quite loud what is the best replacement turbo for an IV I have an evo 6 turbo on it at the moment. Dont want to do modifications just want a bolt on. car is internally stock just has aftermarket fuel pump, air intake, cold air box, aftermarket coils and hks plugs.

Also I have the standard 16"rims whats the biggest tyre size I can go for as surely the stock 205/55/16 is too skinny and high profile?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by damien666
Hi guys I had my evo IV dyno tuned the other day on a dyno pack dyno made 170kw at the wheels but found out turbo has shaft imbalanced whistles quite loud what is the best replacement turbo for an IV I have an evo 6 turbo on it at the moment. Dont want to do modifications just want a bolt on. car is internally stock just has aftermarket fuel pump, air intake, cold air box, aftermarket coils and hks plugs.

Also I have the standard 16"rims whats the biggest tyre size I can go for as surely the stock 205/55/16 is too skinny and high profile?
Hey Damien. Welcome.

The Evo 6 turbo (from the TME) is probably one of the best turbo's Mitsubishi ever made, and is superb for your vehicle.

HOWEVER...

A few things.

1. The E6 turbo and the E6 TME turbo's are different. So if you have a regular E6 turbo, the TME would probably be an upgrade.

2. I would probably suggest looking into rebuilding the turbo (depending on what's actually broken) and spending the money on an exhaust system. The turbo is part of the exhaust, and simply going to a bigger turbo (like you have with the E6 turbo) won't necessarily yield power gains, because it will be restricted by the exhaust. I rebuilt my Evo 3 turbo for less than $100 USD.

3. You'll need to run at least an Evo 5 ECU to take full advantage (in addition to the necessary supporting mods) of an uprated turbo. The E4 ECU isn't really "tunable", so bumping to the 5 computer makes the car tunable.

Honestly though... if you're looking for a "stock" turbo feel, you should get an Evo 4 turbo. Although if I recall correctly, the Evo 4/5/6 turbo's are all the same spec, but the Evo 5/6 use a bigger intake inlet. The Evo 6 TME turbo is very different, and that would probably be the biggest turbo you'd want on stock internals on a 4. That doesn't count aftermarket products.

If it were my money, I'd rebuild the turbo you have, get exhaust, get an Evo 5 ECU, and get a tune. Be done with it, and enjoy the heck outta a great car.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry... about the wheels.

On the E4 you can probably just BARELY fit 215/ width tires. Don't quote me on that though. If you're looking for a nice mod, most people running 4's will get the 17 inch wheels from the E5, run the 215's (again, these BARELY fit) and then you can upgrade your brakes to the Brembos.

If you want lower profile though, your best bet is upgrading the wheels.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:12 PM

Hii mate thanks alot for the info I already have 3" exhaust system and evo 6 ecu and evo 6 fuel injectors, arc cold air box, aftermarket coils and spark plugs got dyno tuned last week made 170 kw at the wheels, but tuner said my turbo has shaft imbalance.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Damien. That's more comforting to know. Are you using an Evo 6 turbo, or the TME turbo?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The evo4 turbo has the smallest turbine housing out of the lot, 9cm.

So anything from a later evo will have a bigger turbine housing so will slow spool up in favour of top end, but I don't think it'll be that noticable.

If you really want a good factory turbo see if you can get a hold of a evo9 RS turbo and chuck the aluminium GSR compressor wheel in it, that way you'll get the titanium exhaust wheel but with the stronger aluminium compressor wheel, the magnesium comp wheel had a habit of exploding.

On my old evo4 I ran evo5 wheels with 225/45/17 tyres, it just fit, although I did have to shave down the rear bumper bracket that sits in the wheel well.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Damien. That's more comforting to know. Are you using an Evo 6 turbo, or the TME turbo?

I am using just the standard evo 6 turbo, I more just want to keep it how is because seems reliable but what does shaft imbalance mean? apparently it could blow out at anytime?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:01 AM

[QUOTE=Yogi_B;10676184]The evo4 turbo has the smallest turbine housing out of the lot, 9cm.

If you really want a good factory turbo see if you can get a hold of a evo9 RS turbo and chuck the aluminium GSR compressor wheel in it, that way you'll get the titanium exhaust wheel but with the stronger aluminium compressor wheel, the magnesium comp wheel had a habit of exploding.

Hey Yogi thanks for that info, so the16/215s should be fine? what profile just seems like has fair bit understeer maybe the tires im using? hankooks optimo k415 16/205/55 seems so small and using 35psi front and rear.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:58 AM

hi , i just saw this post and i have a question . i recently bought evo 4 and never been had evo before . i am thinking to swap the ecu and saw the the best ones are the 5/6 but if i put the TME ecu in my car would you think that will be better than normal 5/6 ? and for the future i am thinking for upgrading turbo , what injectors will i best buy ?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bikriadrian
hi , i just saw this post and i have a question . i recently bought evo 4 and never been had evo before . i am thinking to swap the ecu and saw the the best ones are the 5/6 but if i put the TME ecu in my car would you think that will be better than normal 5/6 ? and for the future i am thinking for upgrading turbo , what injectors will i best buy ?
Hey there m8. Welcome aboard. The ECU from a 5 or 6 is fine because it's able to be modded using ROM software. So going with a TME ECU wouldn't really yield any benefit if you're going to get the car tuned anyway. And they're much more rare, so you're better off going with the others in my opinion.

As for upgrading your injectors... It will all depend on what turbo you decide to go with. Some minor upgrades to the fuel system couldn't hurt, but you'd be better off starting with a fuel pump rather than the injectors.

I would HIGHLY suggest seeking out a local tuning shop in your area and asking them for their advice on how to tune. One that specializes in turbo cars is a must, and one that specializes in Evos is even better.

You can also check out Mitsubishi Lancer Register... those folks are a bit more familiar with the "earlier" Evos. Most of the folks on this site are from the US, and we've only had the Evo since 2003 (Evo VIII).

Welcome though.