Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock Evo9

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your missing the hose for your PCV. Look at your picture, top right side of valve cover, there is a shiny nipple coming out of the valve cover, should have a hose connected. I dont know if that will fix your issue...just a fyi
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:13 PM

OH, I didnt read your full post with the pics...you know about PCV hose, my bad. Good luck troubleshooting.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bpv looks good, maybe there's a crack in that hose running to it. Could be very small.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:21 PM

Any update? I'm new and would like to know do you need a retune every time you put bolt on parts in the car?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:50 PM

Usually you want to retune anytime you change parts that change how fuel, air enter the engine. Most of the time you can get away with not tuning with exhaust components. My best advise would be to read about what your interested in.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clean maff ,check for leaks, make sure bov is on right
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo's are well known not to play well with intake "pipes".

If this is the ONLY thing done to the car, I'm not surprised it runs like garbage. The car will need to get tuned and it MIGHT run alright. The general rule of thumb is to just run a filter with a stock intake snorkel. There was a GREAT writeup on intake filter comparisons done WITH dyno numbers. You can see how each affects each.

I would put the stock snorkel back on, and run the open filter. Then I would look to other mods if I wanted more power, since there are PLENTY of similarly priced mods you could do that would yield similar (or better) gains, and not have the same issues with driving.

But you will DEFINITELY want to get the car tuned.

For the new guys asking about tuning.

No. You don't need to get your car tuned after every little bolt on. But realistically you should. Most people will do their upgrades in stages, and tune then. So snag like a set of IC pipes, a filter, and an exhaust, with the supporting mods (fuel pump) and go get tuned. That way... it's affordable, and yields good safe results.

Contact a reputable tuner and talk about your goals. They're all plenty happy to help you have fun, and make them money.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
when your buddy shifts does it sound like super sequential?if it does bvp is installed upside down.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04

If this is the ONLY thing done to the car, I'm not surprised it runs like garbage. The car will need to get tuned and it MIGHT run alright. The general rule of thumb is to just run a filter with a stock intake snorkel. There was a GREAT writeup on intake filter comparisons done WITH dyno numbers. You can see how each affects each.

I would put the stock snorkel back on, and run the open filter. Then I would look to other mods if I wanted more power, since there are PLENTY of similarly priced mods you could do that would yield similar (or better) gains, and not have the same issues with driving.

No. You don't need to get your car tuned after every little bolt on. But realistically you should. Most people will do their upgrades in stages, and tune then. So snag like a set of IC pipes, a filter, and an exhaust, with the supporting mods (fuel pump) and go get tuned. That way... it's affordable, and yields good safe results.

Contact a reputable tuner and talk about your goals. They're all plenty happy to help you have fun, and make them money.
Great info! Thanks. Would you know whats the price range for tuning will be around?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
depending on where and who tunes your car, i'd say around $200-$400.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04

I have used the JMF pipe in the past and it did not cause any issues.

Did you ever connect the PCV back into the intake pipe? Mine had a nipple to connect the PCV hose back into the intake
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
I have used the JMF pipe in the past and it did not cause any issues.

Did you ever connect the PCV back into the intake pipe? Mine had a nipple to connect the PCV hose back into the intake
I definitely know that some people are running "smooth" intake pipes just fine, but the majority of cars that seem to go that route end up with similar issues. I'm a logical fellow myself, and I can't really figure this out. It has to be something with the actual "shape" of the piping that causes the issues.

Maybe just a bit more bernoulli, and a little less newton and it'd be fine? Who knows... just run the stock snorkel.