Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Notchy shifting GONE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm convinced.

I just ordered the 2+8 piece, both in metal from lancershop.com

And I ordered BG Synchroshift from Pro Street Online.

I'll report my findings. I wonder what fluid is in the tranny stock?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

LOL... guys the 2 pc bushings are very easy to install, dont sweat it. I did remove my battery tray to make more room, that was very easy, I would say if I was to do it again I could swap them out in about 10 mins, really its that easy. Once you get the cotter pin out of the shifter linkage all you have to do is use a screwdriver to push the rubber bushing out and but the new bushing in, replace the pin and do the next...Its very easy
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
How big of a difference is it with just the 2pc? I'm debating whether or not to get just the 2pc or get the 8pc as well.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
bump?

by the way...lancershop is on backorder with these 2pc bushings
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Guys reread my post. That is what the whole thread is about. The difference is very noticeable and worth the money.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Installed the metal 2pc bushing set tonight.
Noticeable difference , feels a little more direct, and a little less notchy.
I won't say this is the sweetest mod in the world but its definitely noticeable. Might be alot better with the 8pc bushing set installed also.
The install went very smooth. Took about 30 minutes. The hardest thing about the whole install was not dropping the parts in the engine bay
The directions that came with the kit were pretty good for the small bushing. However there was no instructions at all for the Larger bushing (I think Reverse gear bushing).
All you have to do is reach your hand a little bit underneath the smaller bushing and you will feel the larger bushing. The install is exactly the same as the small bushing except its a little further down in the engine bay.
Becareful not to drop the pin
Good luck.

By the way I ordered mine from lancershop.com .
The stuff was shipped quick and no problems at all.
for Lancershop.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I just had my set installed over the weekend,, But first I would like to say this.

Ever since I got my evo,, last March,,, I have *****ed and complained about the notchy/grindy shift feel. I changed out the stock fluid with stock fluid. This did nothing. Then I bought the clutch line, this did nothing. I then changed to royal purple,, 3 days latter it was worse!!! Changed it to red line, this was better than the RP, but still very notchy/grindy.

This notchyness happens in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, about 60% of the time. This had bothered me soo much I thought about ditching the evo, but a replacement car would be in the $50k range, out of my league. So the bushing kit, 2 piece and 8 piece with BG fluid from Lancershop was my last chance.

All I can say is, man my car shifts like it should have from the get go. The stock bushings are Rubber?? wtf is this?

The car shifts into gear bang bang bang. Although I do have a little notchyness, it is all but 90% gone , and happens about 10% of the time that it use too.

So for anyone with this problem all I can say is get the complete package deal from Lancershop.com. I have tried about everything to get rid of this, and the bushing set is what is going to work. Although I have read that the clutch fork is causing this too, I guess I will have to wait unitl my clutch goes out to relace this. And with 12K miles on it the clutch feels just fine!!! The only other thing that worries me is I just hope they syncros didnt get too chewed up during all this notchy shifting!

So there is my review, and once again I love to drive my car, where before I would cringe everytime I went to throw it into a different gear.

I had a sportcar shop install these for me , so I cant comment on the ease of install, but it only took them about an hour for all three things.

GET THIS SET UP TODAY!!!!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

im in. i just ordered the 2pc kit, and GReddy countershift knob to match my gauges.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 08:18 AM

Even though most of you have replaced the bushings don't forget all that grinding and notchyness caused some damage.

I just order the 2 & 8 metal bushings just as a precaution. Since I got my Evo second gear has been a beatch. I have never had a prblem going into any other gear.

Thanks for all your posts, I will shoot some pics when I do the install.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by petersa9
Even though most of you have replaced the bushings don't forget all that grinding and notchyness caused some damage.

I just order the 2 & 8 metal bushings just as a precaution. Since I got my Evo second gear has been a beatch. I have never had a prblem going into any other gear.

Thanks for all your posts, I will shoot some pics when I do the install.
You should change out your tranny fluid. I put GM syncromesh in mine and it is like it should be now. It was only $30 and a little of my time, but well worth it.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I just did this install last night (the 2 pc set), and it's an improvement. I wouldn't go so far as to say its changed the car, but it was worth the few bucks and the small amount of time it took to do. If you have complaints about the shifting in your Evo, it's definitely a first step. I think I'm going to try the 8 pc set as well, since I'm still having a little grind going into 3rd gear...everything else feels great.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the 2 pc this morning, and it made a noticable different. I used to get crunchy, notchy shift from 1-2 and 2-3 almost 70% of the time. Now it happens like maybe 10, if that. I'll drive it around some more and then decide if I wanna do the 8pc. Oh, and I didn't install the reverse bushing, how often are quicky going into reverse? Anyone who's installed the 8pc, is it harder than the 2pc? I had a ***** of a time getting the new bushing into the end of the cable... But overall:
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

just ordered all 10 peices from lancershop.com , and ran by GM and grabbed 3 quarts of Syncromesh fluid....

I put the syncromesh in..... actually feels a bit better, hope the bushings make evrything even better

-shahul
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:31 PM

I installed these bushings with my B&M short shifter and WOW... The difference is night and day,. It is so much that I think Mitsu should have used this from the factory... Thanks to everyone for the advice to install these!!!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

i installed mine last week. love them!!!!!

Quick Reply: Notchy shifting GONE!!!!!