Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cracked windshield!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cracked windshield!!!

hey does anyone know how much a new windshield costs for an evo? And where to get one.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: cracked windshield!!!

Originally posted by o3evo8
hey does anyone know how much a new windshield costs for an evo? And where to get one.
I had a rock hit mine. Only cost me 200$ including installation from Diamond Auto Glass here in PA. Mits dealer was going to charge me 450$ for glass plus install!!!
Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I had a rock hit mine. Only cost me 200$ including installation from Diamond Auto Glass here in PA. Mits dealer was going to charge me 450$ for glass plus install!!!
Damn
Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

man those dealerships are just plain robbers...
Old Feb 14, 2004, 07:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I had a rock hit mine last week. Of course it was square in the middle of the drivers side glass. It was small enough that a local glass shop was able to repair it without replacing the windshield. It cost $49.00 and took about an hour. Check to see if a repair is possible. The repair did leave a small blemish, but I can live with it.

Speedlimit...
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

if you can cover the chip with a quarter, it can be repaired.. you will still see the chip, but it should clear it up alot depending on size... the main purpose is to stop it from spreading... the reason why mitsu wants $450 is because tall they do is sub it out to their prefered automotive glass company.. we are the preferred company in our city and we do it whenever they get a car in their body shop thats been in a wreck... check your deductible, if you have a $50 deductible then thats all you pay... your premiums will not go up either... i don't know the price of the glass off hand but $200 sounds about right.. just make sure your getting OEM or OEM approved glass...
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

One thing to be sure of that you get the right windshield when when you have yours replaced. The Evo winshield is lightweight; the lancer windshield is heavier, but will fit.

I ran into this when I had to have mine replaced; the first time the class company sent out the wrong windshield - it was noticeably heavier.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i would check if its same, our glass is cut by 50% to loos weight.
also if i would get some small crack i woulnt worry about it, just fix it with a kit. thats all.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, it was glass for the EVO. And trust me, I wouldnt have gone just anywhere to get it done. DIamond is one of the more well known and respected around here. Lifetime guarantee, and they came out to my house the day after it happend 30 miles and did it in my driveway in 30 minutes.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:08 AM

I would go to the dealer if mine broke. the factory glass is better. I have had aftermarket windshields installed in other vehicles and it is usually distorted in areas. makes you feel like you have someone elses glasses on. also isn't the factory glass thinner that regular glass to keep the weight down. I read that on website.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

wow.... lighter glass? never heard that before... did you hold the lancer windshield while you were on a scale, then grabbed the evo windshield and weighed that one too? listen, all this talk about which one is heavier and thickness is retarded.. all glass is 3/16 thick... there might be a difference between OEM and aftermarket, but you gotta realize something, just because it doesn't say mitsu on the windshield doesn't mean it's aftermarket..... has anyone seen the number of company names under your hood? i can make it easier, look at your brakes, their made by Brembo, thats not a factory Mitsu part, but it must work good enough for mitsu's standards... the same with windshields, LOF, PPG, ACI, Guardian, or American might make all factory mitsu parts with the on it... those companies can make their own glass (exact same glass but without the on it).. we deal with these companies all day long and their quality is supurb... if we did manage to get a defected glass we always inspect it before it goes in the car...
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:20 AM

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/exterior.jsp

here on mitsubishis official web site it indicates reduced thickness glass was used for weight reduction.

it said for the door glass. so I guess the windshield is the same as the regular lancer. but if you want some cheap distorted glass go ahead and get some aftermarket glass.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by treffner
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/exterior.jsp

here on mitsubishis official web site it indicates reduced thickness glass was used for weight reduction.

it said for the door glass. so I guess the windshield is the same as the regular lancer. but if you want some cheap distorted glass go ahead and get some aftermarket glass.

Actually Ive had it on my car for a while with no ill effects. Myabe your not understanding me. Its the actual Lancer EVO windshield they replaced my broken one with. They got it through Mitsubishi, doing a search for best prices. So if you want to go ahead and pay triple for the same windshield then go right ahead.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

then it sounds like a good price.
Diamond Auto Glass has a website? Also I wonder if they have shops around VA?

I just cracked my jetta's windshield
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:29 AM

sorry, as long as you use the factory part It doesn't mattery who puts it in. thats all that I ment. I think for things like body parts it is best to use the factory parts.

Quick Reply: cracked windshield!!!