Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange hissing noise while reversing up driveway with steering wheel at full lock?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange hissing noise while reversing up driveway with steering wheel at full lock?

Car: 2006 Evo MR (w/ 5 speed swap)
Mileage: 45K

This has been happening for a while, but it seems to be getting louder and am now wondering if it's normal. When I am backing into my driveway (narrow street) the car will hiss loudly from the wheel well when the steering wheel is almost completely turned. As I turn to the center it goes away.

I'm not sure if this is an ACD issue or a steering pump issue or if it's just normal evo random noises. I did search, but didn't find anyone else with the same problem.

Would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

-Ken
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you leaking any fluids? Check your power steering reservoir. Does it sound like a pump kinda hissing noise? Is it by the timing belt side or drivers side wheel well?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Not leaking any fluids and it sounds to me like it's from the driver wheel well, but not sure if that's just because my window is open on that side listening for it.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Power steering systems should never be held at the lock. The noise you're hearing is the pump attempting to do what it cannot, hydraulically assist your steering. At the lock, there's no place for it to go.

It's bad for the pump, and generally bad for the system. If it's getting louder, it could be your pump experiencing more wear.

My advice for you, and everyone... don't hold your wheel AT full lock. (That can be defined by basically any odd noise you hear). Those extra 2 degrees of wheel angle aren't going to help you... make an extra point in your turn.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ughhh...makes sense. Unfortunately, the steering radius on these cars is so effing horrible haha.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Are you leaking any fluids? Check your power steering reservoir. Does it sound like a pump kinda hissing noise? Is it by the timing belt side or drivers side wheel well?
I'd say check the fluid level too. Could be too low and your asking to much from the pump.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
My advice for you, and everyone... don't hold your wheel AT full lock. (That can be defined by basically any odd noise you hear). Those extra 2 degrees of wheel angle aren't going to help you... make an extra point in your turn.
That is some good information. Seems like common sense but I didn't know this about the PS system.