Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I saw it, touched it in Vegas. Now here are some details.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:47 PM
AJF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I saw it, touched it in Vegas. Now here are some details.

LISTEN TO ME!!! HEAR ME OUT!!!
My father is a Mitsubishi dealer. I saw the REAL Evo VIII in Las Vegas when he took me to the business functions. Now, understand this, the front end of the Evo VIII doesn't look like the Evo VII, infact, on the back of the vehicle, the tag only says in silver letters, "EVOLUTION",
no "number" tags after that. The front end has a mix of a Galant type Mitsubishi Insignia on the front, but it curved like an Acura RSX. The air intake is not two seperate intakes with body between them. Its one whole intake stretched the whole way the size of the Evo VII's. The car in the rear like I described the identification tag. The wing, spoiler, whatever, is very high, like the Evo VII's, BUT the horizontal piece is standard carbon fiber. The car is the same size as an OZ, it weighs less than an EVO VII. The engine is turbocharged and intercooled with Alum. block and heads. Brembo brakes, and Recaro seats in both front and back. 5 speed, yes 5 speed. 17 in. OZ wheels. Its AWD, but still questions weither it has active differentials. 250 horse power. Three spoke steering wheel. I can't tell you much about the inside because at the dealer's introduction to the cars, all cars were locked. The price will be at the lowest $30,000 then ranging up to $37,000. Now, The EVO is
one of two packages, as there is now another Lancer a step up from the OZ. This Lancer looks different from the OZ, similar to the EVO, but less of an engine that the EVO, more than the OZ. ALSO>>>there will be two new SUV's from Mitsubishi, The "Outlander", and another I cannot recall the name of, but its sized between the Montero, and the Montero Sport, about the size of a GMC Envoy. There is a new Galant coming out, thats all I know about that. The Lancer OZ is coming with options now too for stainless steel exhaust and a sunroof. Again, pictures of the EVO VIII have NOT BEEN RELEASED YET!! As you went into the ballroom at the Bellagio in Las Vegas to see the 2003 lineup, if they saw you had a camera, they took it, and if they saw you sneaked one into the ballroom, it was taken. So don't believe any pictures or people who say they have pictures, cause its bull. If you have any questions just
E-mail me at> Blues408@aol.com
Thanks for reading...AJF
Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:59 PM

Cool, Thanks fo the info.
The Evo VIII will have a 6-speed manual transmission when it comes here. I know this goes against what you looked at but a higher-up in Vegas that DROVE it shifted through 6 forward gears. Could be that Mitsu is just really smart about keeping everyone guessing and had 2 types...but my guess is, shifting from outside the glass of a locked door, you may have missed that extra gear.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:12 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

More of the same...

BTW, I'm under the impression that the car shown was just a 7 with the bodywork from the Evo 8.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:13 PM
AJF

Higher-up?

I'm not disagreeing with you, because yes, I may be wrong. But the only car Mits let Dealers drive was the new outlander. But once again, I'm telling you first hand knowledge, I'm positive and I believe its a
5 speed. Only 250 hp, and based on the Rally Car, and looking at the Euro spec., which is a 5 speed, I'm positive its a 5 speed.
Not that this matters but the GT-S is only a 5 speed too.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:20 PM
AJF

....mmmm NO.....

The Evo VII's are right hand drive. Evo VIII's are left hand drive.
This was left hand drive.

Dealers....such as my father, were told that it was the actual car, the real production model.
But you do raise an interesting concept.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Umm...I will NOT pay 37k for a damn Mitsubishi. If I can't get what I want for under 32k I will look elsewhere.
And only 250hp?! I think it will actually be higher than that. Lighter than the Evo VII...what did they do to accomplish that...scratch the AYC?
Lets see 250hp, 5-speed, no AYC all for $37000?! No thanks! I hope your wrong on some of what you said.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:27 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Re: ....mmmm NO.....

Originally posted by AJF
The Evo VII's are right hand drive. Evo VIII's are left hand drive.
This was left hand drive.
Actually there are quite a few LHD Evo VII's out there. What do you think Evolution Imports is bringing to the US?
www.evolutionimports.net
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:36 PM
AJF

okay

Good one...no argument, good point on the body thing, but what I saw was what the EVO VIII will look like, and there are no pictures i've seen out their that look like it. All my details are correct though.
To clear something up as well.....250 hp, turbo charged, yaw control. thats all I have to say. And when I said between 30-37,000 That was an estimate given, not a whole lot of people would have paid $65,000 for a 3000GT VR-4 hard top.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

theres no reason to deny what he said...they had a left hand drive model that was told to dealers would be the final production model...with only 5 months left until launch they posibbly could not make any changes and they wouldnt straight out lie to the dealers and show them a fake production model...the price is probly a little sketchy tho...37k they must be out of their mind...of course this is the same company that charged 40+k for the 3000gt...so who knows.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

AJF, what does the grill look like? Can you kinda describe it? How close is it to the EVO VII grill? Any fog lights? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Re: okay

Originally posted by AJF
That was an estimate given, not a whole lot of people would have paid $65,000 for a 3000GT VR-4 hard top.
That was also back when there weren't many cars for that car to be comepeting against. If Mistu. sets the price THAT high....they're gonna have A LOT of customers thinking about STI's, or 350z's...

$37k.....
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:49 PM

what a pricetag

wow...if it really costs that much, I'd go import a Evo7 from www.evolutionimports.net , at least it will be genuine a Evo7
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

The more I think of it I really can't believe it will cost up to 37k. The announcement for under 30k was made...which would be base price Evo. The only way they could make 7k in options is to make everything such as Brembos, Recaros, 17's, etc. as an option...and have other costly options such as stereo, sunroof, navigation, etc. ....that would be a big mistake.
I don't believe the 250hp quote either....I'm pretty sure they said at the meeting it would be over 250hp...I've heard it will be at least 265hp.
And another thing...your saying it will have AYC...but they're not sure about the acd??
You also confused me on the air intake? Could you explain it better? Also, will it have the big fmic?
I also believe it will be a 6-speed...all the high performance cars now have them...better or not it's big in the marketing aspect of performance autos right now. Hell, even the under 20k sport compacts come with them...SVT Focus, Spec-V, etc.
Surely is smart enough to offer a car that will be a huge hit and great value to boost image and sales on their other cars...afterall that is one of the main reasons we are getting the Evo....
Old Jul 27, 2002, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Here is what Evo magazine says about the VIII. This is more like it!:
"Tuesday 2nd July 2002

Power Hike For Evo VIII

Mitsubishi's Ralliart division in Japan is working on the Evo VIII, which will go on sale in 2003. Visually the update will be pretty mild but there will be some fairly major mechanical changes. Chief amongst these is a new six-speed gearbox channelling drive to a slightly revised four-wheel-drive system that retains the tarmac/gravel/snow switchable diff. There will also be improvements to the brakes.

The turbo engine is easily capable of more power and Ralliart is trying to get around the current Japanese agreement to limit output to 276bhp. The standard car is likely to sport just over 300bhp; RS versions should have nearer 330bhp.

The biggest challenge is weight reduction. RS models traditionally use very thin panels and little sound-proofing but Mitsubishi isn't prepared to market the standard car with what could be seen as quality issues. Carbonfibre aerodynamic aids could be one possible way to achieve lower weight and even more storming performance"
Old Jul 27, 2002, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Great post broeli,

Its nice to see that some people still have enough common sense to realize that would never try to sell the EVO VII short of what is expected. Without the fancy diffs,high output motor, recaros and brembos its not an evolution and it hasn't evolved, which would go against everything the car is about.

Hopefully will leave what makes the current EVO so great and improve on it like Evo magazine says 6-speed,more power (not less) and hey maybe they can spend the extra couple bucks and add some quality to thier cars like subaru has.

Quick Reply: I saw it, touched it in Vegas. Now here are some details.