Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how safe is driving without acd pump evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xi
So lost of ACD pump = SUPER FUN MODE.
If you want more over steer do the rear diff mod! That makes the car a lot more fun.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
If you want more over steer do the rear diff mod! That makes the car a lot more fun.
Cheap inadvertent super happy fun mode?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont drive with out the ACD pump installed. IF anything you should of just left it on there....i drove around for years with a bad ACD pump and i only recently replaced it. Driving W/NO ACD pump= nooooooo ( Kevin hart voice)
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

you know i did 8 years in the army... and other then a damn good bit of cash on my way out i didnt get much from it...

one thing i did get was this... if you have to think twice about it... its a bad idea. sometimes this is bad advice. but when it comes to a 2800 dollar piece of equipment i don't believe its bad at all...

to the guys who have driven without it... you are retarded...

to the guy who says dumping it was a great idea... you probably suck at driving hence you loosing it when you "never" do... only people who constantly make mistakes say they never make mistakes... and next time i come to chicago with my lil ole car i'll hit you up... see who rounds the corners faster...
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

I am no ACD expert by any means but its obvious that the lubrication of the transfer case has nothing to do with the pump mechanism, hence the separate fluids
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Understeer mode = subaru mode
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
to the guys who have driven without it... you are retarded...
Tell that to my perfectly fine tcase.

To be clear: I drove with the pump installed, but it was non-functional (had unplugged the power connector).
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:53 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
Understeer mode = subaru mode
lol, is that still true?

i thought they fixed that with the DCCD
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to the guy who says dumping it was a great idea... you probably suck at driving hence you loosing it when you "never" do... only people who constantly make mistakes say they never make mistakes... and next time i come to chicago with my lil ole car i'll hit you up... see who rounds the corners faster...[/QUOTE]

Thats your Opinon on ACD, mine is its just not worth the headache. Its just another issue to worry about, and expensive and More of a PITA to deal with, I like to simplify things and i like to NOT have issues to worry about. My evo looks as if ACD was never on it at all, and im fine with that. I have driven so many different cars and have owned so many different types, Ive never lost control of any of them HOWEVER, I dont drive like a moron either and never take one into or past its limits on the streets.To ASSume i suck at driving, because having a faulty acd system causing oversteer and Almost and i say almost losing it, is pretentious. I can easily SAY the evo is one of the easiest cars to take into corners that i have driven, and accounting for the fact the evo does this makes YOU think your a good driver would also be a valid point to take into consideration. Your making this seems as if its a debate of ACD Vs Non ACD, IMO i like not having ACD tons of people have deleted the ACD and have NO wants to go back to it, So they must suck at driving too huh? I never lose control, cause i never push my cars past there limits, i have a nice test strip at work lol, its huge!
The real reason for this thread is "is it safe to run without the ACD pump" i was implying that it wasnt given what i had felt, and went thru with mine.
Also, you should know alot more then ACD and the driver factors in how fast a car can take a corner, tires,Suspension,weight... but im sure you being the Inet hero you are , you already knew that.

Last edited by blowngasket; Apr 26, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

The acd system on our cars is nothing more then a hydraulic clutch pack differential allowing for "locking" of the diff in relation to how much power is distributed to the front wheels vs the rear wheels. When my pump went out I drove it like that for a very long time before finally rebuilding the pump itself. My car is a daily driver so down time while rebuilding the pump was not an option. I just plugged the line coming off the pump with a not and bolt to stop leaking. Now the pump is rebuilt and reinstalled on the car and everything is fine. Drives amazing actually. I agree with the army guy that taking the acd system out of the car is kind of retarded. It cost me $200 for a rebuilt kit and maybe 4 hours to rebuild it. How much did that open diff transfer case cost ya? $1200-$1800??? Makes no sense to eliminate such an awesome traction option for our cars. So anyways there is literally ZERO difference between driving the car with a non functioning acd pump and with driving the car with the pump taken off altogether. The differential just reverts back to an open diff either way with the power being 50/50 to front vs rear. The acd and the actual transfer case fluids do not mix during normal operation and to be exact aren't even the same fluid. So let's put this to bed please. IT IS OKAY TO DRIVE WITH THE ACD PUMP TAKEN OFF THE CAR AS LONG AS YOU PLUG THE HYDRAULIC LINE COMING OFF THE PUMP. lol On a semi related note my friend and I are starting an ACD pump rebuild service company here in Chicago. We are having our own pump plates manufactured as we speak and will shortly be sell the rebuild kits for a lot less then the other guys doing this. I used their kit and the pump plate was 2mm smaller in circumference and was also thicker. The orings they sent me sucked also and leaked. I ended up wire brushing my stock plate clean and buying some vitron orings from dupont and bingo no more leaking and pump works great. Our kits are going to go for around $150 (hopefully if everything goes right) not the $225 other ppl ate charging. We are also going to use vitron orings that are amazing quality and will NOT leak. The plates we are making will be made of a special aluminum brass and titanium alloy that will never corrode or swell and should last forever. Once we have the kits together I will post info on here and on eBay for sales. Also, what the other guys are charging for the rebuild service take about $100-$200 off that price and that's what we are planning on charging for rebuildig these pumps. Email me on here if you in the Chicago area and are interested in having your acd functional again. I have already rebuilt 4 of these pumps now and have about 20 years experience working on cars. My business partner is actually a union hydraulic pump and line rebuilder and mechanic. Perfect guy for this job lol. Thanks, Jason R.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

You say you are upgrading your car by taking the active center differential out of the vehicle. You should of just bought an Evo 7 used instead of the IX and saved yourself 10k-15k. Lol
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just wanted to add, as I rebuild many t-cases a day, that removing the ACD pump and keeping your ACD t-case is very bad.

1) With the ACD pump removed, your ACD clutches have no pressure. This means that the center diff, which used to be an LSD, is no longer an LSD and is now an open diff.
2) If you have more than factory power and go wide-open-throttle, you will spin the front wheels and 0 power will go to the rear.
3) Spinning the front tires will eventually trash the clutches in the ACD unit.
4) Spinning the front tires essentially makes your car a turbo Honda. Might as well just remove the rear diff and all other AWD parts while you're at it.
5) I have driven a customer car with no ACD pump (he purchased the car and didn't know it was missing). It was terrible. Anytime anyone hit the gas it blew the front tires off and I also found the t-case was burned up from doing that.

With the ACD pump removed and no pressure to the center diff, all power will go to the wheels with the least traction. Unlike when it is working with the ACD unit which sends the power to the wheels with the most traction. I like the idea of power going to where there is traction.

If you don't want an ACD pump, you must install a non-ACD t-case. The VCU inside the non-ACD unit is designed to work differently and will give you LSD action on its own.

I tried to make a mechanical spring assembly for the ACD t-case to give LSD action without the pump, but I could never get it to work right. I really wanted this to work as it's getting very hard to find non-ACD t-cases with good VCUs. The way the system is designed to too sensitive to try to preload to work without the pump.

So moral of the story is if you remove the ACD pump from your ACD t-case and drive on it, either you don't have enough power to notice that you just ruined your AWD system, or you like not having the traction needed in the right places. The car feels dangerous IMO.

Just replace it with a non-ACD t-case and keep your car an EVO and not a Honda.

Jack
The following users liked this post:
ModenaTwinTurbo (Jul 30, 2019)
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well if you knew my whole story, youd know my Tcase ring and pinon, and ACD Seal were Shot.
It whined at 20mph.., So selling my bad tcase to jacks, $450, selling my used ACD pump, $400
Selling my ACD ECU, $40, and The ACD Electrical Connectors $40. It got me almost half way to buying a BUILT tcase, with a quaife in it and a hardend ring and pinon. I weight my options on getting mine rebuilt with a quaife, and a new ring and pinon, well thats over 2k easy, Going this route around 1k... If you didnt know A LOT of people delete there ACD systems, its not uncommon.
Its less to worry about, Pump maybe good, but what if the ACD seal goes? How about the clutchs? Id rather not have to deal with it, That Seal or something else goes, you cant drive the car! Thats just me and a few others out there. This is turning into more of a debate weather you should have ACD or not, Im fine without it, read up on why people delete it, and who else has. Some are totally for it, some could care less for it.
Its up to them, right now i have a GREAT Tcase, with a quaife with a LIFETIME warrenty on it and i got it installed for under 1k. Personally, i love it the quaife unit, The Tcase is perfect and was built, It was even easier to get in, and my cars lost some good weight too.
So in my case, it was best to delete it and not worry about it ever again. And trust me i dont miss it one bit.
I also have a quaife Center diff in my trans too :/

Last edited by blowngasket; Apr 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
You say you are upgrading your car by taking the active center differential out of the vehicle. You should of just bought an Evo 7 used instead of the IX and saved yourself 10k-15k. Lol
Evo 7 is not Aval here in the us, you would have to get a 03-04 Evo 8, preferablly the 04 RS. 10-15k? where can i find a under 40k mile 04 RS evo 8 for 10-15k?? And they come with Mivec and the Much better looking Recaro"s too right and a way better looking front bumper correct? A 05 Evo 8 Which has ACD sells for what they do, the IX"s sell for more for other reasons, but im sure you already knew that.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Ya like Mivec, 10.5 hotside, more factory HP and TQ, hmm I'm sure if I'm forgetting something you'll let me know. Jack, although I do respect your knowledge I think you missed the point entirely. I don't think anyone was ever proposing to drive around with your acd pump off the car indefinitely. It's just an evil necessity for some DD while doing a pump rebuild. I never drove the car hard like that, in fact usually drove like my grandma just to be safe and I never launched once or spun the tires once while the pump was down and/or removed. I do notice though with the pump working now that the bump steer I was getting is almost completely gone now. Weird because I always thought it was my lowering springs giving me that bad of bump steer. Perhaps it was the tc hopping thru turns??

Quick Reply: how safe is driving without acd pump evo 9