Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Timing Belt Tear/Chunk Missing - What the...?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing Belt Tear/Chunk Missing - Updated 4/10 - Resolved!

Hey guys! Posting this up to get some input/opinions on what may have happened, and advice on how to proceed.

I went to check the oil in my Evo yesterday and noticed this:

The motor has around 1600 miles on it. There is a chunk of the timing belt missing and it's somewhat torn. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Has this happened to anyone else? I also noticed that the belt is not "straight", if that makes sense. Some of the belt is closer to the end of the gear, while some of the belt is pushed back towards the motor.

I have an OEM belt on the way from STM right now. Is there anything that needs to be replaced when the timing belt is changed? Since the motor has very little miles on it, I would think most of the stuff, if not all, is still good and can be reused. Any input on that?

On the positive side of things; the belt stopped where it did and I was able to see the damage. If that was hidden, things could be much worse. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Last edited by Leftbehind126; Apr 10, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

You were checking the oil and noticed it. So Im assuming you dont use the timing cover, do you? For one its good that the timing cover wasnt there so you could see the damage of the belt, but what if it happened for not using it!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by adriano_917
You were checking the oil and noticed it. So Im assuming you dont use the timing cover, do you? For one its good that the timing cover wasnt there so you could see the damage of the belt, but what if it happened for not using it!
The car did not have an upper timing cover on it when I bought it. I ordered a cover from a member on here actually. Ironically, it had just shown up about an hour before I found this.

The lower cover is on there. It's just the upper piece that was missing.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your not using the timing cover then my guess is something like a rock got thrown up there from driving and did some damage. Is there any damage or nicks on any of the cam gear teeth?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 03evo_joe
... like a rock got thrown up there from driving ..
Agree.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for a new timing belt! I'm assuming you did the timing service when you put this motor in? If not, then it might be a good idea to do a timing belt service while you are at it....

Sorry to see this happen! Make sure your crank trigger wheel, crank sensor and balance shaft belt are OK while you are at it....you might find some debris down at the bottom of your lower timing cover that might help determine what happened...no guarantee though.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Yup, fod went through the belt.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

It does look like what everyone else is saying, a rock or something else, but I would still inspect everything two times over under the other TB covers while installing the new belt. Let us know if you find anything out of place
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Time for a new timing belt! I'm assuming you did the timing service when you put this motor in? If not, then it might be a good idea to do a timing belt service while you are at it....

Sorry to see this happen! Make sure your crank trigger wheel, crank sensor and balance shaft belt are OK while you are at it....you might find some debris down at the bottom of your lower timing cover that might help determine what happened...no guarantee though.
Yes, those parts are new. I'm very curious if there is anything down in the lower cover. I'll also make sure those parts are checked. If we see something out of ordinary or that needs to be replaced while taking it apart, I'll make sure it gets replaced. If there's anything cool I'll make sure I get a picture.

Originally Posted by 03evo_joe
If your not using the timing cover then my guess is something like a rock got thrown up there from driving and did some damage. Is there any damage or nicks on any of the cam gear teeth?
I'll check tomorrow to see if I notice anything abnormal. I haven't looked at it since taking that picture. I'll also check to see if I can feel any wear spots on the belt as well.

Originally Posted by matrho2792
It does look like what everyone else is saying, a rock or something else, but I would still inspect everything two times over under the other TB covers while installing the new belt. Let us know if you find anything out of place
I'm waiting for the new timing belt to arrive and then it'll be taken apart. For now it's just going to sit. I haven't gotten confirmation from STM about shipping, so I would assume it is not on the way yet.

Thank you for all the input/advice guys! I really appreciate it!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 04:02 PM

Having a new issue guys!

CBRD changed the belt. Then they did the compression test. He hooked up the battery charger for the compression test (to get the car to crank). After putting it back together he tried to start it with no luck. The battery is a piece of ****, and if it sits for too long (over a week) the car needs to be jumped. Well since the car sat for like 4 weeks, the car was dead. They jumped it numerous times. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. When it did start, it will run but you have to constantly give it gas. If you stop giving it gas it dies.

Any ideas? Keep in mind, it was running fine. The only thing changed was the timing belt.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Depending on the age/life of the battery it could be just the battery. Older batteries tend to go bad around the winter season because if they freeze, then their done with. When a battery begins to die, the alternator has to work overtime to run all the electronics as well as charge the battery. I would check that as well. You might also want to check for a parasitic current draw.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

considering cbrd replaced the belt i would assume the timing and everything was all at TDC. Its prolly just the battery. If it is a mini battery it will die while sitting for a period of time. If the battery is old just replace it anyways
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Could be that the battery isn't allowing enough transfer so the car is dying. Grab a known good battery and crank again. That will tell you about whether it is battery or timing. But remember battery etc controls injectors and all. Good to keep up a good battery. And if you leave her sitting oftenget a battery tender
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:42 PM

Yes the timing was double checked by them.

I e-mailed Chad to let him know I want to try replacing the battery first before we do anything else. I'll see about getting another and going up to the shop this week.

Thank you guys! I really hope that is the issue.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I would think that they have a battery tester as well as a way to test amperage from the alternator. Before loading the parts gun and pulling the trigger, I would have those things checked.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Tear/Chunk Missing - What the...?