Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to bring an evo iv from Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to bring an evo iv from Vancouver

I want to bring an evo iv from Vancouver and be able to plate and drive it in the us (Wyoming), what do I need to do?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Win the lottery to cover all the fees.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:50 PM

It would be cheaper to pay someone to keep it registered in Canada and you get your own insurance and drive it. We're pretty lucky up here, we can import any 15+ year old car (STi's, Evo's, Supra, Skylines and they are dirt cheap).
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:51 PM

Just curious, what happens if you're driving a car in the US without 'registration'. Do you get a ticket and your car gets towed?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dozena
Just curious, what happens if you're driving a car in the US without 'registration'. Do you get a ticket and your car gets towed?
Depends where u are and what your doing... Sometimes u can make **** up.. But honestly once it gets popped once or twice there gonna tow it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:07 AM

Good info! Guess I am going to keep looking for a car in the US...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyoevo9
I want to bring an evo iv from Vancouver and be able to plate and drive it in the us (Wyoming), what do I need to do?
It's illegal to do, and anyone that tells you otherwise is simply wrong. It's that simple.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of nice cars here. I don't even want to think about that hassle you'd have to go through with insurance and registration, and taxes. The hassle is not worth being the only guy with this older evo.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
It's illegal to do, and anyone that tells you otherwise is simply wrong. It's that simple.
I have a buddy with a State of Minnesota issued VIN for his '98 STi Type-R.

But hey, I'm simply wrong. It's that simple.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cmspaz
I have a buddy with a State of Minnesota issued VIN for his '98 STi Type-R.

But hey, I'm simply wrong. It's that simple.
Uhh... cool story? Maybe you could shed some light on how this is done, and then I can explain to you how if your buddy ever gets pulled over at all, ever, by a cop with a hard on, or even one that does his job by the book, that his car can be impounded instantly, and ultimately destroyed regardless of whatever you're about to tell me.

It's pretty black and white. Any car can be imported if it's 25 years or older. Or it can be imported for off road use. Or you can bull****, and put a mismatched VIN on a car that shouldn't have one. Or you can buy a fleet of said vehicles, and run them through the federal standards required for crash testing.

I'm not telling you that it isn't stupid, I'm not telling you that there aren't vehicles in the US that were imported, and are driven (I knew a fellow with a Honda Integra). I'm telling you that it's illegal.

Simply because you, your friend, or the company that sold the car to your friend don't understand the laws doesn't make you right... it just means that your buddy has a grey market import that he should feel lucky to have.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:59 AM

What's the rules for 'borrowing' a car?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
varies by state
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Move to Canada. Haha, I've owned an evo IV and they are quite the joy ride. However, the wheel gap is ugly and getting parts from japan specifically for the Evo IV is annoying as hell. I wouldn't bother.

Also they have the bad crank for Crank walk. Mine had no play, but my buddy that also owned one that was completely stock and had 120,000kms on it aquired crankwalk.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Uhh... cool story? Maybe you could shed some light on how this is done, and then I can explain to you how if your buddy ever gets pulled over at all, ever, by a cop with a hard on, or even one that does his job by the book, that his car can be impounded instantly, and ultimately destroyed regardless of whatever you're about to tell me.

It's pretty black and white. Any car can be imported if it's 25 years or older. Or it can be imported for off road use. Or you can bull****, and put a mismatched VIN on a car that shouldn't have one. Or you can buy a fleet of said vehicles, and run them through the federal standards required for crash testing.

I'm not telling you that it isn't stupid, I'm not telling you that there aren't vehicles in the US that were imported, and are driven (I knew a fellow with a Honda Integra). I'm telling you that it's illegal.

Simply because you, your friend, or the company that sold the car to your friend don't understand the laws doesn't make you right... it just means that your buddy has a grey market import that he should feel lucky to have.
The car was imported by a small local dealer. It was done so improperly, I might add. The car was registered somehow (I'm still not sure of the details) and titled. It was sold as a 2.5RS and taxed as such, and a bill of sale was made up for the cost of a 2.5RS, not the $9k more that the car was actually sold for. The dealer sold it to my buddy, and it was fine until the tabs ran out, but renewing registration became a nightmare. The system is in place to verify matching numbers between blocks and chassis, and everything on the car checked out, except that it wasn't technically legal to be registered here.

So they went after the dealer, with the help of a few key law enforcement figures, and in the end the dealer got fined and for the pain and hassle, said figures pushed through a legally issued "blue vin" for the car. It is legally registered with the State of Minnesota, as an imported car, in the same manner a 25+ year-old car would be, through the same system, with the same legaliztion papers.

I realize this is a special case with special circumstances, but at the end of the day my point was that you can't make blanket statements saying something can't be done when under certain circumstances it clearly can. Will your average guy be able to make it happen? Not likely. But that doesn't mean it's impossible as you would have everyone in this thread believe.

Last edited by cmspaz; Mar 21, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
It's registered with the state; that means that it's the same as all the "florida skylines" you see. It's still not legal.

Quick Reply: How to bring an evo iv from Vancouver