Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Finally, I have a freak car.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, I have a freak car.

Throughout my years of modding mustangs, Z's, and other rods, I have always been the victim of a poor performing car. Case in point, I had a buddy with a STOCK, down to the paper filter GT (1999) which dyno'd at 255rwhp. Now, do the correction, and there you go. Same thing with my cousin, who bought a Z28 SS which dyno'd at 323rwhp, bone stock.

Well, NO MORE! I have been so put out with dynoing, I never took the Evo down. Last week, my cousin brought out his freshly broken in 90LX coupe, with a 306, which dyno'd at just over 300rwhp during his tune. For giggles, we drug them to the top of the street to run them (my neighbor has 2 miles of road down to his house, hes he is rolling in dough), after setting up my SAFC2, installing my exhaust, and test pipe which came in from AMS.

First run was ugly, me out of the dig, me by 2 cars at the 1/8th mile mark, then shut down.

In disgust, he bolts on slicks, and we go again, this time a 1.4mile run. Me out of the dig, , me by 1 car at 1/8, and me by 2 at the quarter. .

So, Saturday, we go to the dyno, do the necessities to get it on a 2wd dyno, and first pull after cooling down, was 319whp, with an a/f of 12.5:1.

I turn it back some, and get it down to 312whp on the second run with a healthier 12:1 (roughly).

I am going to install the boost controller tonight, but I hate to change anything, with it runningl like this. I will scan in the runs at work tomorrow, I don't have a scanner at home.

Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats man.. are you running a full turbo back, or testpipe and catback? AMS' settings on the AFC?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

2wd dynos are not an accurate measure, find a 4wd dyno then see if you have a freak on your hands.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

way to go, i hope i am close to that with my mods similar to yours.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

/rant on/

Let me nip this now, if someone knows how to correctly calculate driveline loss, including factoring in the AWD system, it will be close to correct. Agreed, not all dynos are the same, however, if the person operating them can interpret these factors accurately, you will be in the ballpark, meaning 93-97% accurate (nobody is going to be 100% accurate, imho) Fact is, if the person running the dyno knows his role, which this guy does, Ford and Toyota have used him for tuning, then you will given a close snapshot of your car's performance.

NOW, what is important to me is this is the SAME dyno that did my Mustang, Mustang Cobra, Z, BMW, turbo protege, and my hauler. It is the same one that has done countless other cars of my cousin's and I for drag racing. Therefore, it is the base I have been using for years, and it will continue to be. In addition, most of the time, the numbers given for my cars were backed up at the strip and on the track, so I think I am pretty close with this guy.
/rant off/
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Just out of curiosity, did you break it in on dyno or synthetic? Hard or easy?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Drove it like I stole it, from day one.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

well , mine had 800 miles on it from the dealership. seems the salesmanager got to drive it for a while before i got a shot at it. hope he didnt baby it to much.

Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by Stop&TurnFreak
/rant on/

Let me nip this now, if someone knows how to correctly calculate driveline loss, including factoring in the AWD system, it will be close to correct. Agreed, not all dynos are the same, however, if the person operating them can interpret these factors accurately, you will be in the ballpark, meaning 93-97% accurate (nobody is going to be 100% accurate, imho) Fact is, if the person running the dyno knows his role, which this guy does, Ford and Toyota have used him for tuning, then you will given a close snapshot of your car's performance.

NOW, what is important to me is this is the SAME dyno that did my Mustang, Mustang Cobra, Z, BMW, turbo protege, and my hauler. It is the same one that has done countless other cars of my cousin's and I for drag racing. Therefore, it is the base I have been using for years, and it will continue to be. In addition, most of the time, the numbers given for my cars were backed up at the strip and on the track, so I think I am pretty close with this guy.
/rant off/
I agree! Peak HP and Torque numbers are a good estimate from a 2WD or AWD chassis dyno. Whether it reads 300 or 310 is of little interest. It is your baseline and close enough for government work. Besides, what do we expect from a formula based upon the work that James Watt estimated an average horse could do in an 8 hour day. Well written Stop&TurnFreak.

Speedlimit...
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mksevo
well , mine had 800 miles on it from the dealership. seems the salesmanager got to drive it for a while before i got a shot at it. hope he didnt baby it to much.

I hope they gave you a nice fat discount for that 800 miles. It's pretty much a used car after that many miles.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 05:50 AM

Correctly stated that James Watt created the random horsepower. 1 horsepower is the power needed to lift 330 pounds a height of 100 feet in one minute. Or a total of 33,000 ft pounds of work. A arbitrary and random number that has become the focus of many of our lives.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 07:12 AM

Beautiful man....but synthetic or regular oil for the break in?

Omar
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

fat discount

1200 dollars more than my best deal, paid 24000 for it when all was said and done, i did try and get an oil change since i to agree with quick oil change after break in. I would use reg oil for the first 500-750 miles then synthetic then after , but just change you oil freq and regularly for the safest margin.. hope to get some 1/4 miles soon after my mods are done.