Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OverBoosting to 28 why??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
OverBoosting to 28 why??

So I'm looking at an evo 9 to purchase which is in great condition.

We test drove a couple days ago and found out it is overboosting to 28

First of all what are the problems with boosting to 28 psi (head lift and coolant in oil is 1 I have read) What else?

Car was put back to stock other than a Walbro and a ported throttle body. It had a works tune which was flashed back to stock (confirmed by owner) and all lines have been checked

Compression (dry test) was all good at 145-150 across the cylinders with some shaft play up to down (minimal) and no in and out shaft play. Plugs look good for the mileage on the car

I have searched but what else can I look for before I get a tuner

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What is used to control boost on the car? You said it is all stock other than a few odds and ends, correct?

Boosting 28lbs isnt necessarily bad for the car but this is assuming it has the proper supporting mods and most importantly a tune catered to that boost level.

Personally I would not buy a car put back to stock but that is just my opinion.

If the price is right however and it seems to be in good mechanical shape, then go for it.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

stock boost solenoid. This guy is pretty good about maintaining his car so I want to see what might be the prob with over boosting to 28. as stated the only mods are Hasbro and the throttle body. no cams etc. should I look at the oil for any milky substance or what should I keep an eye out for? thanks

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silverevo05
stock boost solenoid. This guy is pretty good about maintaining his car so I want to see what might be the prob with over boosting to 28. as stated the only mods are Hasbro and the throttle body. no cams etc. should I look at the oil for any milky substance or what should I keep an eye out for? thanks

A real "leak-down" test will tell you everything you need to know... If you want to take the extra step. Coolant in oil and oil in coolant, are definitely signs of a bad headgasket. Draining the oil will give you a better look at that, vs looking at the dipstick. Those are great dry compression test results. I doubt you have a bad head gasket with those results, something would of showed up.

If the car is over boosting and definitely has the stock boost control solenoid... I bet the vacuum line running to the WGA fell off/ ripped off during re-installation. Does the vehicle always over boost? or does it do it randomly? Regardless of any of that, i would recheck all of the boost control lines. Somethings definitely wrong. Are you positive he reflashed it to stock? Possibly he has the old tune still on there and didnt flash it back correctly. It may of had ECU controlled boost and the WGDC % tables are still set for higher boost? Just throwing ideas out there. It is NOT safe to boost 28psi, without a proper tune.

Let us know.

Last edited by BEKevo; Mar 25, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the good info
from what I understand he has been in contact with works on the tuning and they are sure it was put back to stock. I will ask him to check on the lines again.

any other things I can look for?

Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

bump for any other info
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If it was works tuned its not the boost solenoid you worry about....from memory they changed the boost pills in the lines (the old way to control boost with the stock solenoid). So I'd check the lines from the BCS and ensure the pills in there are stock sized and not Works'
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
If it was works tuned its not the boost solenoid you worry about....from memory they changed the boost pills in the lines (the old way to control boost with the stock solenoid). So I'd check the lines from the BCS and ensure the pills in there are stock sized and not Works'
Totally forgot about that. Thanks for clearing that up codgi OP, check the boost lines... Right next to the WGA (you'll see a 'T'). You need to verify the boost pills size or just ditch the setup for a MBC or better ECU controlled boost.

Last edited by BEKevo; Mar 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In what gear does it overboost? perhaps, 5th gear and try to pull at from like 4~50 miles?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check to see if the vacuum line came off the waste gate also
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ok Check Lines and boost pill. What else?