Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whos shipped an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whos shipped an evo?

Need to ship my car, just want to hear from anyone who shipped their car. Who did you use? Was it a hassle or did it go smooth?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had a blown clutch, friction plate, pressure plate and flywheel on a transport.

My recommendation is to disable the car - eg make it impossible to drive if you ship by regular car transporter. It will cost you extra but you car is less likely to get thrashed.

Cut-off switch and keeping the key will work.

Also do not ship across any northern routes on open transporter in the winter, as you car will be pickled. Shipping by train will kill your wheel bearings potentially ....

There are some high-end dedicated closed car transporters but they are usually $$$, eg Passport Transport and others ...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I ship cars all the time.

I've used uShip several times with great success, as well as had a shipper there (that I had used a few times) just contact me on the side and tell me whats up.
I've used auction/industry shippers with average success, typically no problems as they are contract work that is very profitable and they wouldn't want to jeopardize that, but slow delivery.
And I've also used local bidders (contact your local tow companies and they will contract it out even cheaper than uShip will usually get). I've had moderate to good success with that method and it is far and away the cheapest method. My last delivery was 1500 miles and cost me almost $300.

The bad side to that though is you have zero control over who is transporting it, as it is completely in someone elses hands/discretion. This has bit me one time.....
I got a car (not a real nice one, but good paint, running, etc, worth probably 16-18k retail) and the shipper parked a ~1970s Corvette above it. The Corvette dumped it's entire cooling system on my car. All of it. It was like the car got painted, and wouldn't you know the cooling system hadn't been serviced since the 1970s either so it was solid orange rust on everything. I'm guessing the vibrations probably shattered the radiator channels as those old (mid 80s and back) radiators turned to dust when they got old. As if that wasn't enough, it had an oil leak too, which went straight on to the passenger side of the windshield, making it the "cleanest" spot on the car. Thanks god it wasn't a convertible.

I've used covered transport (Waggoners etc) but unless the car is $80k+ it simply isn't worth it for me to spend $1500+ on shipping something that will turn up perfect for $700 from someone else that is bonded/insured to cover it anyway.

Keep in mind that if you disable the vehicle, you will generally instantly double and sometimes triple the shipping cost, as well as cut your available shippers down about 75%. If the car doesn't run, they can't put it on a car carrier, it has to get special treatment.... it also is more often treated like exactly what it is to them, an undriveable car.

Last edited by superbovine; Mar 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:21 AM

I have shipped cars a few times accross country from east coast to west coast when I am transferring stations (military) and if which ever shipper you get, do your research on them, and not just on one site, (as some of them actually go on the sites and review their companies, sad but true). And then..........pray!! lol but so much can go wrong so if they offer a little insurance then pay a little extra and get it. And once u research, like everyone has been saying, the "closed transport" is way $$$$$ so ..........but good luck with your search
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never shipped the evo anywhere but when i had my 350Z i shipped it from the midwest to germany.
came off the boat with not even a scratch and they paid for me to wash the car

i think i paid about 2500 for a closed container w/ climate control. if you get with transportation they can tell you who they typically use. check them out. if you dont like them keep checking out other companies. just make sure they will cover any damages.

DO NOT GET LAZY!!!!! when they go over the car make sure ever tiny imperfection is marked on the inspection sheet. So any thing that is not on the sheet will get covered. if they dont mark small **** on the sheet then they are less likely to cover it because you didnt care enough to mark the little flaws at the beginning.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:15 PM

I think im better off finding a different way to transport the car. I am just the type of person who doesnt trust anyone taking care of something thats not theirs
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:30 PM

if i were to buy an evo thats too far for me to drive home, i would want it shipped. ive looked at uship and also have seen prices of $1029 closed from cali to ny.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost me 980 to ship from CT to AZ
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shipped to and from Italy, the government used a commercial carrier out of baltimore. No problems. Everything was fine.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can tell you stay far away from a company called Transcorp.

I had a great experience with New World Auto Transport out of Texas. They were great and good price....$1300 from Ca. to NJ in a soft shell encolsed trailer.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Shipped my car to Buschur from VA. No issues really. DB said the driver of the transport was a dick. Gonna ship it back to me in a month or so. Paid $475 bucks to go 460 miles.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking into shipping mine to buschur, but read a lot of horror stories. Not a chance i wanted to take so i bit the bullet and drove it there

Joshs evo, i seen your car at buschurs. Saw the colorado plates and was like wtf, that guy is crazy for driving that thing this far.lol
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

I had my Evo shipped from PA to MA in a closed container from Reliable Carriers. The service was slow but the car arrived without a mark on it (and trust me I am real nuts about how I look over my cars) so I cant complain. Besides being slow everything about the service was real professional. I would do it again without worry only if I needed to.