Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone here go from Buschur stage1 to stage2?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here go from Buschur stage1 to stage2?

Im looking to add some more power to the evo. Has anyone started with the stage 1 and then upgraded to just the 2nd stage? If so could you feel the difference? Does the car sound different after the ic pipes? If I follow Buschurs path the next step would be thier stage 2 kit. I dont want to spend more than $1000 on it now. So will I even notice the power difference with the ic and intake piping? Im sure its a good thing to do I just dont know if its the best bang for the buck mod? Would it be better to do a set of cams first? I either want to do the stage2 or get a set of 264/272 cams. Let me know what you guys think.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

I am interested in the Buschur stages also. I want to know what will be the easiest to install and the biggest bang for my buck.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I think the way David does his stages is to get to the streetable 300/400 HP range so his stages are built one on the other IMHO you can get more HP quicker/cheaper but you will limit yourself later and end up buying somethings twice as your HP goals increase. The thing I liked the most about the FMIC/IC pipekit was my car spooled QUICKER than stock and saw so much more boost at the manifold I hit fuel cut untill I turned the MBC down... these engines need to flow as much air as possible..the stock system is restrictive the BR system isn't...(and it will support your HP mods into the 550+ range.).
Old Feb 16, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with you that buschurs stages build on each other. But I am just wondering if I should do the cams first or the ic piping kit. If I wanted to spend 1500 I would do stage 2 and the fmic. but I only want to spend 800 for now. So that leaves me with the option of the ic piping or the cams for now. When Im all done I want to have all 4 stages. So which would be better for now??
Old Feb 16, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rACerS
When Im all done I want to have all 4 stages. So which would be better for now??
Heh heh... you'll have a stage 4 and you'll be lusting after a stage 5!

My take is this: Buschur Racing plucked the lowest hanging fruit first when they designed their staged kits. I'd stick with the program. I doubt mixing and matching will hurt anything but it seems to me that each stage was designed for the most bang for the buck at a given level of modification.

The car sounds abolutely sick with the MAF pipe and upper IC pipes. The spool seems quicker.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 09:57 PM
Former Sponsor

I think you'll get more power from the cams but you wont like the way they accent the lag without the IC piping..There's a reason David and Tym do things in the order they do...(But if they told you why... they'd have to kill you next) :-). PS their IC WITH piping seems to be the only one showing big gains on the dyno...(I think its from the increased flow, decreased resistance to flow, and that the air is at ambient temp before it reaches your engine bay...But I may be wrong..I just noticed the quicker spool.. my STI buddies did too...(In a bad way) rrr
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Did you guys feel any seriouse power increase going from stage 1 to 2. Their dyno shows about 60+whp increase. 60+whp increase should put a big dent in your butt dyno.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

There is no way that just an upper ic pipe and a maf pipe could add 60rwhp. I read that the stage 1 results on thier site were with a 2.5" exhaust and then the stage 2 results were with the 3" exhaust, and thats why there was such a big jump in power. But maybe Im wrong. I just wanted to know if I would feel a difference in power by just doing the stage 2 setup, or if it just sets you up for the next stages. And since this is just my wifes daily driver I dont think we will be changing the turbo. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by rACerS; Feb 17, 2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

The best solution would be to call Buschur or David directly. He will work with you to determine the best setup for you and your car. I was not sure what I wanted until I talked to David myself. He was and continues to be very helpful. I finally ordered the complete Stage 3 and will hopefully get it installed in a couple weeks.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

I guess no one here started with the buschur stage 1 and then upgraded to the stage 2?
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I did , I believe it is worth it if you are building up the stages according to buschur. After I installed mine I noticed alot more boost response and a more effective turbo. I had to turn my greddy profec down almost 1/2 on the duty cycle , that show you the turbo is pumping alot more efficient. I also installed a greddy type-s at the time and it helped alot, due to the fact that my stock bov was leaking. I love the difference it created. You may not gain alot on the dyno but your power band should improve alot with this. Boost comes alive at almost 3k rpms now , well full boosting occurs at 3200 rpms for me.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply, Im just going to have to give it a try then.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

I live in Cincinnati and there are not a lot of places around here that can do the work and I can not do it myself. It is almost a 4 hour drive up to Buschur and therefore I am going with Full Stage 3. That way I don't have to make so many trips.

I know a guy that has stage 2 and loves it. I can't remember but I think he started with Stage 2. I do know that hs is very happy with it. Actually come to think of it, I think he has like stage 2.5 everything in stage 3 except the cams and the ecu flash.