Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice needed thinking of selling!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
IMHO, since the Evo is paid off, it's in great shape (other than the $3K in repairs needed) and it's an RS I'd keep it.

Otherwise, sell it privately. I know you said the clutch is starting to slip, but is the rear diff and transfer case bad? If it is, then I can see your point, but like you said if you fix it you should keep it.

It's cheaper to keep her!
Sorry again for no clarification. Only the gear oils need flushed teh hardware is cool.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
You've owned the car for 8 years and are considering selling it because the clutch is slipping and it needs some drivetrain fluids? Have you beat it to the point you're scared all of your misdeeds will come back to haunt you? If not, then why would you take on a car payment over MAINTENANCE items? You either want a new car or you don't, we can't decide that for you.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

^ Nope haven't beat on it at all. I'm just looking for input from other members who have maybe been in my same situation and learned something they would like to share.

Obviously it's my choice to buy a new ride or not. The problem is I'm 50/50 on it...

The car payment would be low, same insurance rate, and a car made with brand new parts, not parts 8 years old with 122k on them.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. keep the evo. 2. I know you said it needs a clutch, what do you use the car for? There are clutches out there that dont cost 2k lol. And drivetrain fluids are easy, couple hundred in fluids and a saturday afternoon and thats done.

I say keep it. Especially if its paid for.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes paid for. I bought it brand new in 05'. It's my DD, and mountain car when I live out west so that is really what I use the AWD and turbo for is mountain driving. I'm right in the 3k$ range for clutch, xfer case oil, rear diff oil, ac recharge. I just don't want to dump the 3k$ and have some ish come up in a few months and have to drop another 3k$. New ride is a new ride and if I can just mod it lightly it has the warranty...

Thanks for your input man. ^
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Having spent the last 4 months paying off all my debt, and just purchasing a new 13 GSR, I'm obviously saddened by the new car payment, although I did put money down and have 1.79% financing -- it's still sucks to have a car payment.

I did it because I sold my other car before deploying -- you know, that "What if I die" thing in my head. If I could do it all over, I'd much rather not have a car payment and just fix what needs fixing...especially if the car is in great shape.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:28 AM

I'm sort of actually in your shoes and well. My situation is buy and evo 8/9 or a new wrx. I'm going through with the new wrx and when I have more money that I'll have to dump on an evo ill do it but right now I'm gonna need something I know will last me a while with no problems. Lemme know what you think
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Evrblazin,

How much rust is on the car? How long would you plan to keep the WRX? How many miles do you put on a year? What would your car payment be? Are you dead set on a new WRX or have you thought of buying a low mileage used one so you don't take the initial depreciation hit?

I try to keep the cost of ownership on a vehicle under $2000/yr. You may be at the perfect point to get rid of the Evo and get something fresh that you trust. The Evo holds its value very well but in five years your car will be showing some serious age and mileage. It will not be worth the price it is currently commanding. In that same timespan and mileage what will the WRX be worth? Then figure out the difference and see if the cost is worth it. Some other factors to consider are the economy and your job situation.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Are you not replacing the clutch yourself? I cant see a $2500 clutch going into a dd evo with basic mods. Im not understanding where your getting the 3k together unless you are paying a shop to install the clutch, which in that case, I see the cost now.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kr1s
Having spent the last 4 months paying off all my debt, and just purchasing a new 13 GSR, I'm obviously saddened by the new car payment, although I did put money down and have 1.79% financing -- it's still sucks to have a car payment.

I did it because I sold my other car before deploying -- you know, that "What if I die" thing in my head. If I could do it all over, I'd much rather not have a car payment and just fix what needs fixing...especially if the car is in great shape.
Good advice. I definitely remember how bad my evo payment sucked lol
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Are you not replacing the clutch yourself? I cant see a $2500 clutch going into a dd evo with basic mods. Im not understanding where your getting the 3k together unless you are paying a shop to install the clutch, which in that case, I see the cost now.
Yeah I'm not replacing the clutch myself. I have " entry level " automotive skills.

I asked a local mitsu dealer how much just for labor. Service manager said 1,200$
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Geez man lol. I new nothing about cars till I got my 1g dsm. I was too cheap to pay anyone to work on it back then, so I just started diving into **** myself and figured it out.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Mar 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats less than 3k if you do it yourself at least. $1200 max if you get a new stock clutch, used rear diff
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Geez man lol. I new nothing about cars till I got my 1g dsm. I was too cheap to pay anyone to work on it back then, so I just started diving into **** myself and figured it out.
+1 its not being cheap but saving the money for something else or a future repair
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the point of you like the warranty, everyone loves that piece of mind. I would do the $3k in maintenance, and even if something else pops up, it's not a car payment. You have a well sought after car, and at least could get more if you still wanna sell privately after all the work is done.

Quick Reply: Advice needed thinking of selling!