Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust noise

Hey listen guys I got a question okay I currently have a Megan exhaust on my evo 9. Now I would like for my exhaust just to be a tad more quiet.

The tip of the exhaust has to be like a four or five inch outlet now I'm looking for something a little more quiet without attracting any unwanted attention from the laws.any ideas on which muffler should I use. My car isn't raspy or annoyingly loud but hey I love my car.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a turbo back or just cat back on it now?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe adding a resonator?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wait. You bought a performance exhaust system, and you're disappointed because it's loud?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Wait. You bought a performance exhaust system, and you're disappointed because it's loud?
Don't be jumping to conclusions now.... All he said was he has a Megan exhaust.

He wants to quiet it down...like someone else said, I would put a resonator or muffler after your cat/test pipe and before traveling past the rear axle.

This is what I'm going to do to my 3" tbe. At first I loved it....well...for the last 8 years I've loved it...now I'm over the exhaust drone I get at freeway speeds... time to quiet her down a bit!

GL and let us know what you do. I'm planning on a Before/After sound clip so others can hear the difference. Would be cool if you could do a Before/After sound clip as well.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Don't be jumping to conclusions now.... All he said was he has a Megan exhaust.

He wants to quiet it down...like someone else said, I would put a resonator or muffler after your cat/test pipe and before traveling past the rear axle.

This is what I'm going to do to my 3" tbe. At first I loved it....well...for the last 8 years I've loved it...now I'm over the exhaust drone I get at freeway speeds... time to quiet her down a bit!

GL and let us know what you do. I'm planning on a Before/After sound clip so others can hear the difference. Would be cool if you could do a Before/After sound clip as well.
Good call Shadow... usually I'm trying to calm people down. Past couple of days though... I've been feeling flamey. Wait... that doesn't sound right.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Good call Shadow... usually I'm trying to calm people down. Past couple of days though... I've been feeling flamey. Wait... that doesn't sound right.

To be honest, my Invidia exhaust isn't that bad. The canister and tip are huge but the it's tone is a little reserved. This is with a test pipe. With a HFC, it's damn near stock.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...otos-rare.html

Last edited by Thore; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thore

To be honest, my Invidia exhaust isn't that bad. The canister and tip are huge but the it's tone is a little reserved. This is with a test pipe. With a HFC, it's damn near stock.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...otos-rare.html
Haha...

For an actual contribution, my Buschur exhaust is loud as hell, but I really like it.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:23 PM

Sounds like its time for a resonator if you want to keep the exhaust you have now. I've read that HKS,Greddy (Evo2?) and Apexi all make options that are fairly subdued sounding. I would make sure you aren't going to sacrifice too much performance for less sound though... but that's just me. I always listen to a **** ton of clips on Youtube to get an idea what an exhaust sounds like before I buy it (assuming I can't hear it in person).
Old Apr 3, 2013, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or get a new catback exhaust...

RRE Stealth is practically stock sounding

Web Link to write up from RRE on this exhaust showing proven gains over stock. RRE Stealth Exhaust Evo 8/9
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:57 PM

The perrin exhaust is pretty loud on the highway. The drone will put you to sleep if you drive a long distance
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by flashevo12
The perrin exhaust is pretty loud on the highway. The drone will put you to sleep if you drive a long distance
I never had drone with the Perrin. I ran it with a high flow cat at one point and then a resonated test pipe.

AMS with the resonated test pipe is fairly quiet IMO too, with a non resonated test pipe it was unbearable for my taste.