Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best bang for your buck? Im guessing ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bang for your buck? Im guessing ecu?

Hey i wanna do a nice performance upgrade on my evo but im not sure what to get. Ive come to the conclusion that i want a xflash from vishnu but they dont seem to like to answer emails as i sent them one on friday and another yesterday and still no answer. Anyone know how i can get the best performance for not so much cash. So far i have a rmr 3inch catback exhaust and a turbo-xs hp manual boost controller. If an ECU is the best way to go, which one do u recommend?

-----VENDORS-----

Please do not advertise here. Im looking for responces from the average joe evo owner/modder. Not a sales pitch.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

An ECU flash is the easiest and best bang for the dollar deal you can do.
As far as which one to choose I can only comment on the Works P1 and P2. P1 being a dramatic improvement and P2 being just plain hellacious and my favorite. If you were to get the Works flash you could have it flashed for their cat back system to take advantage of your setup. I would ditch the MBC though.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

don't ditch the MBC... it will work fine, best bang for the buck is gonna next be a downpipe, and hi-flow cat.

an ecu flash will enable the tuner to make alot of horsepower, and the best thing is... is the flash is now the "stock" settings, so when your battery is reset you go back to the original settings the tuner put in.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

<EDIT: post removed, hi-jacking>

Last edited by nastea; Feb 17, 2004 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

i'd day get a TB exhaust first. Then get an EBC and finally get a ECU flash.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Along the same lines.... I want to incrementally increase the performance of my evo. I live in Calif, where 91 octane gas is the best I can get. I have played around with the idea of buying toluene and adding some to each tank of gas - expensive and a pain in the ***...

Am I better off getting an ecu and running crappy calif 91 octane gas?

Someone told me that by changing the parameters of the ecu I could get the same performance out of 91 and 94 octane gas. This doesn't make sense to me but is it true?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Best bang for your buck? Im guessing ecu?

Originally posted by XRS-Lift
Hey i wanna do a nice performance upgrade on my evo but im not sure what to get. Ive come to the conclusion that i want a xflash from vishnu but they dont seem to like to answer emails as i sent them one on friday and another yesterday and still no answer. Anyone know how i can get the best performance for not so much cash. So far i have a rmr 3inch catback exhaust and a turbo-xs hp manual boost controller. If an ECU is the best way to go, which one do u recommend?

-----VENDORS-----

Please do not advertise here. Im looking for responces from the average joe evo owner/modder. Not a sales pitch.
Because you live in CA and are stuck with 91octain I would suggest to use a tuner with the most experince with 91octain. There is a big diffrance between 91 and 93 octain tuning.

Just so that you can have a safe and constent power.

ECU reflash is a good idea for a performance mod. I would suggest getting a full exhaust with a highflow cat to maximize performance.

IMHO.

Eric
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Best bang for your buck? Im guessing ecu?

Originally posted by XRS-Lift
Hey i wanna do a nice performance upgrade on my evo but im not sure what to get. Ive come to the conclusion that i want a xflash from vishnu but they dont seem to like to answer emails as i sent them one on friday and another yesterday and still no answer.
FWIW, we were closed yesterday for President's day. And it can sometimes take more than one business day to get an email response from us.

Regards,
shiv
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Oh im glad. I heard u guys were real quick with responces so i was a lil confused. i was working yesterday so the whole holliday thing didnt really register. I also thought maybe u guys still checked ur emails at home or sumthin. I hope u get a chance to answer my email soon. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

If you do hear from the guys by tomorrow, drop me a PM and I'll try to help

Cheers,
shiv
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

u have a pm
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nastea
don't ditch the MBC... it will work fine, best bang for the buck is gonna next be a downpipe, and hi-flow cat.
I was referring to ditching the MBC if you have a Works flash, especially the P2.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:42 AM
Former Sponsor

IMHO use a MBC and drop your boost to 18...it's the only way to maintain timing and keep the car as lean as possible on our 91...You can run higher boost but the ECU will both add fuel and remove timing to avoid detonation...both of these moves KILL HP.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mayhem

I was referring to ditching the MBC if you have a Works flash, especially the P2.
I like work's classey boost lines that come with the P2. But the A/F is just a tad lean for my liking.