Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Plasti dip trunk lid and roof

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti dip trunk lid and roof

Well I've done my fair share of plasti dipping and I think I'm ready for a bigger project. Before anyone suggests vinyl, I'm somewhat of a broke college student with only about $40-50 to spare each week. I've already plasti dipped the trunk with the $75 Wagner sprayer. It came out pretty well, but I'm planning on redoing it due to some bad texture on the top of the lid because I ran low on plasti dip. I have just about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of thinned plasti dip available to me. That being said, I generally put my plasti dip on relatively thick. Does anyone with experience know if this will be enough for the roof(with a sunroof) and the trunk? Also has anyone done the roof and the trunk lid? I'm not sure if it will look good. Does anyone maybe have some pictures of the roof and the trunk lid in black? It doesn't matter if its vinyl, plasti dip, or actually painted. Does anyone have any opinions on how this will look? I already have my mr wheels, door handles, and fuel door plasti dipped. Any suggestions or comments are welcome, I just don't want to end up doing the trunk lid and roof and end up having it looks like crap, wasting time and money.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I say go for it if you have idle time on your hands and if it come out like crap you just peel it back off.just try and was the car and make sure its fully dry before dipping and that paint should be enough just as long as you do light coats and don't go heavy.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by studioface
Well I say go for it if you have idle time on your hands and if it come out like crap you just peel it back off.just try and was the car and make sure its fully dry before dipping and that paint should be enough just as long as you do light coats and don't go heavy.
I'd agree for the most part. The only reason I'm worried about thickness is because my evo is white, and I had a pretty bad experience plasti dipping a roof of another car with cans. Long story short, it came out way too thin and unpeelable and goo gone just made a giant liquid mess.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Any tips on how to clean the plastic dip wheels?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by toyotabike
Any tips on how to clean the plastic dip wheels?
A power washer on a very low power setting is what I found works best, be really careful if you have any tears or bubbles, because the power washer will rip those apart.. But in reality, brake dust just makes your plasti dipped wheels look more black .
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:29 PM

do it

this would look so sweet
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:55 AM

Looks like I'm at least doing the trunk today. I'll see if I get the ***** to do the roof as well. I'll post pictures when it's done
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

I used a garden hose to clean them and the front still looks a bit brown. I'll try soaking with simple green next time.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:19 PM

I wanted to.plasti my roof. Put up some pics if you end up doing it
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:29 PM

I used a garden hose to clean them and the front still looks a bit brown. I'll try soaking with simple green next time.
Don't be afraid to use a sponge. Just be very gentle. It was a bit windy in the Bay Area today but I should be able to do it sometime this week
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mossontree
Don't be afraid to use a sponge. Just be very gentle. It was a bit windy in the Bay Area today but I should be able to do it sometime this week

What city you from? Im in SF
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:25 PM

What city you from? Im in SF
between the los gatos, saratoga, cupertino area in the south bay
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:05 PM

Vinyl really isnt that expensive and usually (im not sure how good your gun is at spraying) is cleaner and more consistent for large panels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Flat-Black-Air-Release-Vinyl-Wrap-Hood-Roof-Trunk-Door-Bumper-60-x60-/320946821774?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9ebda8e&vxp=mtr