Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sell Evo or Part out?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell Evo or Part out?

So I just cant keep pouring payments into this car. I've had it for 5 years, and although I love it to death, it has just cost me way too much money. The final straw was my motor going out after paying for a new clutch job. So right now the car is not running, but I don't want to throw another 4 or 5 grand to get it back running. I don't know if it would be better to try to sell it as is or to part it out. It has quite a few upgrades to it including turbo and other things. The car has been sitting at a shop for a few months while it was waiting for the new clutch so the paint is faded from the sun. So also aside from not running the car is not in great condition appearance wise either.

I don't expect to get a lot of money out of it, which is a huge bummer considering the amount I put into it and the cost I bought the car for. But I just don't have the funds to deal with this car anymore.

So do you guys think I should try and sell it as it is in not working condition or would it be better to part it out. The problem with parting it out, is that Im worried it would take a while to completely sell all the parts.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post up some pics and details. I am sure you will have some offers to help you consider what to do.

Aaron
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would make more money parting it out but you would also have a lot more time into it. Selling the car as is should be very quick and painless.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

i recommend to try to sell the car but if you put pics of the car i can buy some parts including the trunk mats, liners and the spare board. and a couple more things
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

From El Paso! If you part it out I'm local, what do you have on it ?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:06 PM

Is this the same motor that seized on you a few months ago?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Upgraded FP Green, Ported header, HKS camshafts, Ported O2 housing, 3 inch intercooler, and a few other things. Enkei NT03 wheels.

Aside from the paint fading, there was damage to the front bumper, fender and side skirt that the insurance never fixed (the collision shop I took it to was awful).

I'd love to just throw 5 or 6 grand into rebuilding it, but unfortunately my finances are low right now, which is part of the reason the car is in the condition it is.

I'm honestly a bit depressed because evos have always been one of my favorite cars and mine was so much fun. It sucks having to get rid of it and probably ending up with a worse car.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

You said you keep pouring payments into this car? If you sell or part out, will you get enough money to cover the amount you still owe?

Maybe you can part out some of the pricey stuff like the turbo etc. and if you get enough money from that to pay of the car. slowly piece it back together with stock parts, Drive it or sell it as a running car.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mindoftw
Is this the same motor that seized on you a few months ago?
Yea. The engine wasn't actually seized. What happened was the flywheel was not catching with the starter and not turning over. That's why I replaced the clutch, but I'm guessing the engine was already on its way out before this. Its not completely dead but it has a clearly audible knock on idle and dies after a few minutes of idling.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

I was in a very similar situation years back my man. It's terrible watching your baby sit there, rotting away and not having the funds to make it alright. I feel your pain. I sold mine as-is for practically nothing..

If you have the time I'd part it out, if not then sell high dollar parts and see what you can do with that.

If you do part it out, let me know I may be interested in some things. I am about an hour from El Paso.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importmachine
You said you keep pouring payments into this car? If you sell or part out, will you get enough money to cover the amount you still owe?

Maybe you can part out some of the pricey stuff like the turbo etc. and if you get enough money from that to pay of the car. slowly piece it back together with stock parts, Drive it or sell it as a running car.
I actually have the car completely paid off. I meant pouring payments into maintaining the car. Last year I replaced the turbo, axle, starter, and some other parts. This year I replaced the clutch and flywheel, and now the engine is going out. I just don't have the money to keep throwing into parts.

My only income right now is school loans and I don't like putting a lot of money into the car using school loans.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by def1

My only income right now is school loans and I don't like putting a lot of money into the car using school loans.
BRAVO!!!!

This is by far the most intelligent thing I have seen on Evom!

You are making the right decision! do not put yourself into debt and "waste" your time working on/stressing about a car during the most important years of your life (School)

Get a good education! Get a good job with your education, then use your higher than average income to pay someone else to deal with the headaches. If you like to tinker on your car, and do the work yourself, then do it when it's not your only mode of transport.

My suggestion is sell the evo, buy a honda accord, toyota pickup, or some other car that is dead reliable, put the money you make from the sell of the evo into making your new slow, but reliable car look good and be comfortable, also put some money aside for when it does need maintenance (like tires or the like)
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hatesposers
BRAVO!!!!

This is by far the most intelligent thing I have seen on Evom!

You are making the right decision! do not put yourself into debt and "waste" your time working on/stressing about a car during the most important years of your life (School)

Get a good education! Get a good job with your education, then use your higher than average income to pay someone else to deal with the headaches. If you like to tinker on your car, and do the work yourself, then do it when it's not your only mode of transport.

My suggestion is sell the evo, buy a honda accord, toyota pickup, or some other car that is dead reliable, put the money you make from the sell of the evo into making your new slow, but reliable car look good and be comfortable, also put some money aside for when it does need maintenance (like tires or the like)
THIS. Great advice. Take it from those who have been there or are going through it.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:27 AM

Selling the car as is should be very quick and painless.

Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats price if you were to sell?

Quick Reply: Sell Evo or Part out?