Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

e85 evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowsnake
I have the same question, but i'm more worried about the block. Mainly seeing rods go through blocks with even just 400hp (E85/cams/injectors/tbe/intake/walbro255) which is the build I have, but only have the tbe and intake installed.

My main concern is blowing up the block since I DD my evo, and i know that not everyone blows them up and people have made more power without problems, so i'm wondering is it in the driving? Spark plug going bad? Injector? Also head studs would be installed too. I only asked because my buddy sent his rod through the block after only a few weeks on e85 =\
Okay well first off i DD my evo (about 20k miles a year) i'm at 122k miles stock block. The tune is probably the most important part. i see that you're from san diego who are you looking to get tuned by? In socal i would only recommend a few very reliable safe conservative tuners (looney tuning, road race engineering, tuning technologies). This will give you a peace of mind. Head studs are not really necessary; They're a hit and miss (installation process), and unless you're running ridiculous amounts of boost, only cover up bad tunes that knock too much. Again with a reliable safe tuner you have nothing to worry about. Keep the boost levels under 28 pounds, you'll still be making over 400 on a dynojet which IMO is a great DD also don't drive her like you stole it, and keep her well maintained and you should be fine. (i do oil every 3k miles, drivetrain flush every 5k, spark plugs every 10k- the little cost of maintenance is cheaper than blowing any of the drivetrain components up).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:26 PM

I do drivetrain every 15k or a little less and at same power levels as everyone else that has posted and have had no issues. I'm on a clutchmasters stage 4 6 puck and act prolite but all drivetrain is stock. The one thing you should also do when you do the clutch is the stm clutch fork stop.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05wickedevo
I do drivetrain every 15k or a little less and at same power levels as everyone else that has posted and have had no issues. I'm on a clutchmasters stage 4 6 puck and act prolite but all drivetrain is stock. The one thing you should also do when you do the clutch is the stm clutch fork stop.
good call on the fork. my last clutch was an ACT 6 puck and the TOB popped off after 60k miles the clutch still had meat too but i said fk it and got a new one while i was in there
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:55 PM

good call and thanks for the reassurance, I've just been saving up for 2+ years and still paying it off, and I would miss it far too much if something were to happen O.o..
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New clutch would be necessary I assume.

My car makes exactly what you are describing (421/382) e85 on stock turbo, stock trans/tcase/ACT HDSS street clutch, the car is fine
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double post
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Think of it like this you going to want more power im at the same road, upgrade everything you can to make your life easier down the road. Replace your clutch and get all supporting mods to meet your goal. Build it now to have a longer lasting evo than wait to the last minute to replace oart by part.

Im getting a 6 puck act clutch It will hold the power I want in the future not to mention it will last me a long time