Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help EVO 9 stuck injector need help (not your typical bad injector case)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help EVO 9 stuck injector need help (not your typical bad injector case)

Hey Guys, I am posting this status looking for some help to get my evo 9 back up and running.

I bought the car from a kid who neglected maintenance on the car heavily. It had some leaky exhaust gaskets and oil leaks but nothing I couldnt fix with a little time and tlc.

After driving 3 hrs home from Norfolk the car drove fine I could hear all the exhaust leaks but I had no issue with driveability or stumbling. no smoke no hesitations.

I get the car home and immediately started fixing little issues: here is what I have fixed to date.

-new valve cover gasket, with pcv
-new plugs
-new oil sending unit
-timing belt job
-new mbc
-new coolant (peak)
-Oil change
-new evo 9 turbo (with new feed and return lines washers ect)
-reinstalled the stock manifold (with oem gasket)
-installed new invidia 02 housing and downpipe (with new gaskets)
-installed new primary 02 sensor (funny thing here is when I removed the old turbo the owner didn't even have a primary 02 sensor on the car, so I was very confused about why the car ran as good as it did with the exhaust leaks and no prim 02 sensor. I feel he may have had it tuned like that)

So after all that is said and done I start the car and it was running on only 3 cylinders and you can see that fuel is just pouring out the exhaust and cylinder 1 plug is extremely wet and clyinder4 is slightly wet.

Okay I thought coilpacks so I replaced those with new ones and there was no change to the car. still dumping fuel..

Okay I thought lets replace the injectors since it is stuck open on cyl 1...
replaced them with good running PTE 750cc injectors.. Started the car and still the same issue no change.

talked to a couple big evo shops, STM, JNZtuning, English racing.... ect they stated there where multiple things that could cause this

-timing off (which I checked and its not)
-bad maf (haven't checked)
-bad tune (probably does have one)
-bad ecu (which they said is highly unlikely)

at this point they said disconnect the ecu completely, and let it do a hard reset for 24hrs and see what the car does/relearns itself before I throw anymore money at it. (currently doing that now, I know by tomorrow morning)

Has anyone on here ever had issues like this? or know any other directions I could go with it? I want my car back up and running now

also leak down #'s
cyl 1 78
cyl2 86
cyl3 86
cyl4 84

out of 90psi

one final note. The car does have some sort of weird ground going on. When I turn on the headlights it turns off the radio but it never affected how the car ran.

Thanks Drew.R
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Leaving the Ecu unpluged wont do anything to the tune.

Get a tactrix cable, [thats a NEED when u have evo] Log thru evoscan, check your current Tune.
Thats what i would do, Im not sure if you need to rescale your injectors or not im not fimilar with 750s.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

with the help of chad from CBRD I was sent a map rescaled for the pte780 injectors. we flash the car and there was no change to the issues.

The car is still dumping fuel bad in cyl 1, some in cyl 4 and a little in cyl 3

any other ideas?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inj problem

If you want i can check your injectors and flow at different pressures for you . I wont charge you unless they have to be cleaned . At lease you will know if it is the injectors or not .
Let me know . I will do that for you
Thanks Frank Race Components Inc A sponser on this forum
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a dvom? If so I would backprobe the injector connector that you think is faulty. Get the voltage reading, if it fluctuates rapidly then I would guess a stuck open injector, if it stays steady then clean the maf, it could be a bad ecu but it's highly unlikely.

Try not to run the car with this issue because the excess amount of fuel will wash the cylinder walls out causing you to loose compression.

Check the wires going to cyl #1 injector plug. If it is continuously ground I'm pretty sure it will stay open. You can also take a long flathead screwdriver and hold it up to the injector. You should hear a clicking sound. That is the injector pulsing opening and closing.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Tonight Im swapping out the ecu and using a Noid light on the injectos to check for any issues.

Does anyone know if a maf is bad it was cause and injector to flow constantly?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Race Components
If you want i can check your injectors and flow at different pressures for you . I wont charge you unless they have to be cleaned . At lease you will know if it is the injectors or not .
Let me know . I will do that for you
Thanks Frank Race Components Inc A sponser on this forum
Thank you but I know the PTE are in good working conditions.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would check the wiring. Does the harness look like it has ever been messed with?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
I am having the exact same issues to the tee. Something that I noticed just before the issue happened is that I was seeing my ethanol gauge go from a standard 8% to 0-2%, which makes me think the gas that sat in my tank for ~7weeks went bad and has affected my injectors. What is odd is the affect on cylinder 4, which is paired to cylinder #1 from an ignition standpoint.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
this may sound stupid but.. swap out the CAS.. and check to make sure the trigger plate is not lose.

the exact same thing happened to mine.. cas trigger plate was lose.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your injector resistor pack for corroded/rusted out wires.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have replaced both intake/exhaust CAS with two different units. I will investigate resistor pack and trigger plate.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

resistor pack is good, 7.1 ohms across all the connections and no rust on connectors. Trigger plate is next.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
this may sound stupid but.. swap out the CAS.. and check to make sure the trigger plate is not lose.

the exact same thing happened to mine.. cas trigger plate was lose.
I think this is the issue...smack!

Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys problem was fixed. turned out to be a grounded cyl 1 injector wire.

Thanks for everyones help.

Quick Reply: Help EVO 9 stuck injector need help (not your typical bad injector case)