Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sell car or part it out?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sell car or part it out?

I have a 03 track car that has a lot of really nice parts on it. I'm trying to decide whether to part it out or sell it as is. The problem I have is such a small market for fully built race cars. It is fully gutted/caged. Car has ams fully built block and head, Hks full turbo setup, stop techs, Tein super racings, shep t case and rearend both have cusco diffs and much more parts those are just some of the main things. Need opinions on what you guys would do?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:18 PM

Part out will probably be the best bet if your looking to get most of your money back but it's going to take more time to source out your parts and find the right buyers.
Selling the car as is will definitely be tough since most buyers are probably looking for more of a complete car, but i'm sure if someone is in the market for a full race car, for the right price you could probably get it sold.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:23 PM

You'll make more if you part it out
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:28 PM

How much do you think I could get for the shell? The cage just barely got finished and is really high quality built.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately built cars aren't an investment. You won't recoup anything close to whats gone into it, but parting it out would get you more than selling it whole. Expect a lot of lowball offers. Even some of the top notch shop cars built by AMS, CBRD etc have really struggled to be sold for decent amounts because people just don't want a built up race car even when its immaculate. The CBRD TT car has been for sale for over a year now, and that car is virtually flawless with multiple magazine covers.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:20 AM

if you decide to part out, id be interested in some of your parts and im in utah too.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:33 AM

Selling the car as is will definitely be tough since most buyers are probably looking for more of a complete car

Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:32 AM

part it out, itll be more work but you will make more money that way
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you plan to sell part it all out, there are plenty of guys here on the EvoM market place with cash in hand ready to buy any valuable parts that come up. You will never make back even close to what you invested unless you part the car out. Most guys that buy used, generally want to do their own mods after they purchase the car anyways. Just make sure you let other potential buyers know what you've returned back to stock.

I've seen guys sell their evos with JDM rear, JDM headlights and JDM tail lights still on the car. Those 3 pieces alone would net around $3000 if sold separately in the market place!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:54 PM

You'd be suprised at what some people will want from a part-out car. Do your homework and detail any item you think can be sold. Panels, doors, wiring looms etc...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:52 PM

definitely part out, if sold as whole youll probably get the worth of the motor alone.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:00 PM

part it out, all cars are worth more in parts.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:28 AM

Pm me when your ready to sell some parts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parting it out will get you a lot of your money back.
It just takes a lot of time since you need to wait for the right buyers.
If you dont mind having a bunch of parts in your possession for a while and dealing with a lot of people to sell your parts to, I would say part it out.
If you want to skip all that, you could just sell it all at once, but you wont get much of your money back as a trade off.

My choice would be to part it out since it sounds like you have a ton of great parts on your car.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:18 AM

Part it out, I learned this from my last car. just gonna require a bit of patience
Upside=you get more money out of your car
Downside= it takes a bit longer to take off all parts

Quick Reply: sell car or part it out?