Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by BEKevo
lol
I saw what you said before you edited it back out and I am not trying to argue anything but I agree, I am trying to give this poor guy proper info and the guy who thinks hes calling me out is incorrect that's all. I mean all I am is a troll, but yet I would say my car speaks for itself being I have done everything to it myself except tune it. I am not new to the game of the 4g either but oh well. I am not the one searchin archives for information so what does that tell you?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
I saw what you said before you edited it back out and I am not trying to argue anything but I agree, I am trying to give this poor guy proper info and the guy who thinks hes calling me out is incorrect that's all. I mean all I am is a troll, but yet I would say my car speaks for itself being I have done everything to it myself except tune it. I am not new to the game of the 4g either but oh well. I am not the one searchin archives for information so what does that tell you?

I absolutely agree with you curseDSM. I edited my original statement because I thought the comment was blunt and I didn't want to persuade further arguments lol. You obviously know what you're talking about, you've been contributing to the forums for quite some time. No reason for him to say that..

Btw you're car does show you're ability/ mechanical inclinations, it looks good!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BEKevo
I absolutely agree with you curseDSM. I edited my original statement because I thought the comment was blunt and I didn't want to persuade further arguments lol. You obviously know what you're talking about, you've been contributing to the forums for quite some time. No reason for him to say that..

Btw you're car does show you're ability/ mechanical inclinations, it looks good!
Thanks for the kind words and it is appreciated. My cars a piece hahaha. Honestly he can say what he wants, being like myself and yourself and everyone else he is entitled to his opinions, which to me means absolutely nothing. I have no issues trying to help a forum member out specially if they don't know being we all have to start somewhere. I am fortunate enough to know some really smart people, and I pick their brains all the time and it helps me out as well. What kinda makes me surprised is there hasn't been a tuner really chime in on this, to give their point of view.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Haha im the same way. But I tune.. He should be at the very least he monitoring the vitals (afr & boost) while cranking up the boost or if he modifies the car, to make sure he is fine. If the OP has no gauges or logging capabilities, then I wouldn't recommend it and it would probably be wise to take it back to Ivey. At 22 psi, there's still some room for improvement.

Last edited by BEKevo; Apr 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm a softy for chocolate milk

Then with that said you better go back to them to understand how boost control actually works.

Maybe if he goes back to the archives he will understand it more?

Obviously hes a noob to understanding how things work if he thinks the intake pipe helps with controlling boost . If he knew how things work he would know that the turbo is gonna spin at certain rpms regardless, sure you can make turbo spool faster or slower, or that a mbc or ebc is basically just a valve to control the amount of pressure is being made between the wg pressure and the cylinder pressure to help with the af ratio. Maybe there is something in the archives about how it all actually works? But again who am I? I'm just here to pad my stats

Wow. When your done stroking each other lemme know..

You two are awesome.. I'm sorry. Think about it bud. Your exhaust spins the turbo and th more it spins the more air SUCKED THROUGH THE MAF when the MAF sees more air it gives more fuel.its only a lb. i doubt the car is tuned to the brink... Basically what your saying is a car tuned in colo would blow up at sea level, What do you think takes all those varibles into account. You just won't to tell me how awesome you are. Not answer. The original posters questions. 1lb boost increase. I'm not debating tuning theoryor how an engine works..

Go die

Last edited by AdamAndEvo; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

And give me **** about archives. Your Dailey activity is 48%. You spend half your day on evom you troll
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Oh and your completely wrong. The MAF does not measure boosted air. Please understand how the fuel injection system on these cars works in correlation to boost and ecu parameters before you go telling someone their dumb as a box of rocks

If you had any idea on how tuning these cars works, you would know what you just said has made everyone who has come across this thead lose a few braincells
When on gods green earth did i say the MAF measures boosted air? The is a direct correlation between how much your boosting and how much air is being sucked through the MAF. Hence why some folks go sd to bypass that restriction.

Last edited by AdamAndEvo; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Auto correct
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamAndEvo

You two are awesome.. I'm sorry. Think about it bud. Your exhaust spins the turbo and th more it spins the more air SUCKED THROUGH THE MAF when the MAF sees more air it gives more fuel.its only a lb. i doubt the car is tuned to the brink... Basically what your saying is a car tuned in colo would blow up at sea level, What do you think takes all those varibles into account. You just won't to tell me how awesome you are. Not answer. The original posters questions. 1lb boost increase. I'm not debating tuning theoryor how an engine works..

Go die

Dude calm down... And from just reading your post and prior post, you have no idea what you're talking about. He's just trying to give you advice and you insist on arguing..

Last edited by BEKevo; Apr 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

When on gods green earth did i say the MAF measures boosted air? The is a direct correlation between how much your boosting and how much air is being sucked through the MAF. Hence why some folks go sd to bypass that restriction.
And what is this correlation called?

Last edited by BEKevo; Apr 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a glass of chocolate milk as my drink for dinner.
It was awesome!
Really love that stuff.
So after dinner.
Taking a break from homework/after dinner procrastination of homework by going on to EvoM.
Sees this thread and clicks on it.
Reads "Chocolate Milk."
I dont remember me leaving my computer, but Im back downstairs pouring myself another glass of chocolate milk.
LOL
cursedsm, you are awesome.

As for the OPs question, I would suggest not turning up your boost, even if its just by 1PSI.
Your tuner tuned your car for the setting that are currently on your car.
If you tamper with your current settings, it might and theres a good chance it will, damage something on your vehicle or your vehicle will not perform the way you want it to.
There are a ton of variables to think about, and just a slight increase in boost pressure can make a big difference.

This is just a watered down explanation though.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
im getting the popcorn ready for this show
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

fine I want to learn. Please explain what happens at the MAF when u start to boost .

it sucks more ****ing air into the turbo.

I never said it measured boosted air...

I'm the one that wants to ****ing argue. You keep putting words in my mouth the arguing them with yourselves. Your ****ed in the head. I'm done responding
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

And give me **** about archives. Your Dailey activity is 48%. You spend half your day on evom you troll
Yeah and what is your point? There are days I am on here and I leave and I forget to leave the page. Oh man that makes me a troll being sometimes I have **** to do and forget to close out the page which does happen a lot.

It has been what you have been arguing this whole time with a maf.

fine I want to learn. Please explain what happens at the MAF when u start to boost .

it sucks more ****ing air into the turbo.

I never said it measured boosted air...

I'm the one that wants to ****ing argue. You keep putting words in my mouth the arguing them with yourselves. Your ****ed in the head. I'm done responding
And this is why your being such a douche about things. You are obviously wrong on how you think so if you wanna read "That's what the archives are for." So being your trying to argue an incorrect information just proves what we have been trying to say. I hope your done responding being your making yourself look like an idiot with misinformation and trying to make me look bad which isn't gonna happen.

See this is where you come up with info you thing is correct and it is to a point but the theory is wrong. Now answer this, what happens when you don't run a maf at all? Your example of a car would blow up or have a chance to at sea level if it were tuned in CO yeah there is a good chance of it being your way above sea level, air is denser up there then at sea level. Your maf wont show that being all its going to see is the amount of air coming in. Denser air will make the car always feel better being its still denser air. Weather its metered or not more air is gonna use more fuel. Denser air up in the rockeys will have more of an effect on the way the car runs then say here where I live on a cold day. Your maf will tell the car what air is coming in your ecu decides what it needs to mix for proper burn.

Your air intake is gonna suck in the same amount of air weather it is for 4 lbs of boost or 10 lbs of boost. Obviously your not allowing all that air into the system all at once. Your ecu tells the mas what amount of air it wants to let into the system, hence the mbc or ebc tells it what portion it wants into the system to be allowed for the mixture so that would give your x boost. So with that said, your ecu is tuned to say 10 lbs of boost what is gonna happen when you up the boost 1 lb? Your gonna read more air to fuel and that is gonna be a lean condition. What happens when the car is reading lean? Detonation possibly up top. Being he is on the verge of knock like most tuners tune up top, 1 lbs of boost will more then likely put him over the top, up top with the amount of timing his car probably has which would be say at 11.5:1 and a safe afr up top at that time to say 11.3:1 which say 18 degrees of timing may be to much of an afr and the car knocks and BOOM at 7k,8k.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Apr 18, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

What kills me is you wanna argue that you know what talking about but yet, you haven't said one intelligent thing that makes anyone think that? But yet I am a troll and I know nothing when I have given plenty of supporting info and people backing up what I am saying? Now my question is I want the op to respond to everything that was said and who he is gonna trust.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah and what is your point? There are days I am on here and I leave and I forget to leave the page. Oh man that makes me a troll being sometimes I have **** to do and forget to close out the page which does happen a lot.

It has been what you have been arguing this whole time with a maf.

And this is why your being such a douche about things. You are obviously wrong on how you think so if you wanna read "That's what the archives are for." So being your trying to argue an incorrect information just proves what we have been trying to say. I hope your done responding being your making yourself look like an idiot with misinformation and trying to make me look bad which isn't gonna happen.

See this is where you come up with info you thing is correct and it is to a point but the theory is wrong. Now answer this, what happens when you don't run a maf at all? Your example of a car would blow up or have a chance to at sea level if it were tuned in CO yeah there is a good chance of it being your way above sea level, air is denser up there then at sea level. Your maf wont show that being all its going to see is the amount of air coming in. Denser air will make the car always feel better being its still denser air. Weather its metered or not more air is gonna use more fuel. Denser air up in the rockeys will have more of an effect on the way the car runs then say here where I live on a cold day. Your maf will tell the car what air is coming in your ecu decides what it needs to mix for proper burn.

Your air intake is gonna suck in the same amount of air weather it is for 4 lbs of boost or 10 lbs of boost. Obviously your not allowing all that air into the system all at once. Your ecu tells the mas what amount of air it wants to let into the system, hence the mbc or ebc tells it what portion it wants into the system to be allowed for the mixture so that would give your x boost. So with that said, your ecu is tuned to say 10 lbs of boost what is gonna happen when you up the boost 1 lb? Your gonna read more air to fuel and that is gonna be a lean condition. What happens when the car is reading lean? Detonation possibly up top. Being he is on the verge of knock like most tuners tune up top, 1 lbs of boost will more then likely put him over the top, up top with the amount of timing his car probably has which would be say at 11.5:1 and a safe afr up top at that time to say 11.3:1 which say 18 degrees of timing may be to much of an afr and the car knocks and BOOM at 7k,8k.

Your wrong on so many counts I really couldn't even tell u where to start.
WHAT HAPPENS TO AIR PRESSURE AS YOU CHANGE ALTITUDE?

As you go up, air pressure goes down, because the higher you go, the less air there is pressing down on you from above.

If you were to stand at sea level, at an altitude of 0 meters (0 feet), the air pressure would be 1 kilogram per square centimeter (14.7 pounds per square inch). If you were to move to Denver, Colorado, at an altitude of about 1,610 meters (5,280 feet), the air pressure would be 0.85 kilograms per square centimeter (12 pounds per square inch). And if you were to go to the top of Mt. Everest, at an altitude of about 8,848 meters (29,028 feet), the air pressure would only be 0.3 kilograms per square centimeter (4.5 pounds per square inch).

If his car leans out it will knock. If it knocks the ecu will retard the timing.

If u take off the mass the car goes into retard mode and drives terrible..

If you tune for SD with a MAP sensor then I would be a problem since those are fixed values.

Please explain to my johnBradley loves to remove the MAF and put a 4inch intake on? So the **** can suck my air with out restriction.
M

Quick Reply: can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?