Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Cursedsm,
Okay but do you know how much air your MAF is measuring on a rainy day, 2,200ft above sea level with a 20mph northwest wind at approximately 63 degree temperature if your driving south at 57mph downhill and have 2 fat chicks in the car with you also

Didnt think so troll
Go eat your ****ing pizza
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by number 8
I don't know, but I remember a certain tuner, telling me to add some higher octane fuel and crank up the boost at the drag strip.
I have had people tell me that too and honestly its bull****. The thing that saves your motor in that case is your using c16 which in that case would be the octane keeping things alive. It is the same thing with e85 it has to do with content of fuel and the cooling property's. But in no way shape or form is it really safe.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Go eat your ****ing pizza
Ahaha, this is one of the best threads in a while
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Cursedsm,
Okay but do you know how much air your MAF is measuring on a rainy day, 2,200ft above sea level with a 20mph northwest wind at approximately 63 degree temperature if your driving south at 57mph downhill and have 2 fat chicks in the car with you also

Didnt think so troll
But after some thinking I can answer this. Are you ready? You have your chocolate milk and pizza at arms reach? Ok then here we go,

your maf is gonna measure like this being the air is thick with humidity and being up at 2,200 feet it will make up for lack there of for air coming in. So with that said dense air with humidity is gonna equil itself out but it will still be heavy air mixture. Now with that said your car is going to pull to the right being there is 20 mph winds even going down hill. The only thing that is gonna stabilize your car is the 2 fat chicks. Their weight is gonna off set the car being one will be in the front seat and the other should be behind you to offset the weight. Now if the one fat chick is behind her fat friend, that's not gonna be a good thing being the slightest cross wind will push the car that way being you have 900 extra lbs which will put more stress on your tires and flatten them some to one side. You get all that?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing i picked up from that is

Never let fat chicks in your evo
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
****s getting intense in here
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Clearly you weren't paying attention. You can have fat chicks in your evo, but you neet to turn the boost up 10 psi and have plenty of chocolate milk and pizza in place of your spare tire.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:41 PM
EvoM Guru

NO you totally missed the point never let 2 fat chicks sit on the same side going down hill with a 20 mph wind blowing northwest now stay on topic damn it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Clearly you weren't paying attention. You can have fat chicks in your evo, but you neet to turn the boost up 10 psi and have plenty of chocolate milk and pizza in place of your spare tire.
You got it wrong too you can't turn the boost up to 10 unless its tuned for it but the rest is correct. But if your gonna have pizza and chocolate in the spare tire well why not put a mini keg in there instead? You gotta stay on topic here this poor guys prob lost as hell
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

NO you totally missed the point never let 2 fat chicks sit on the same side going down hill with a 20 mph wind blowing northwest now stay on topic damn it.
I think we gotta get into the suspension geometry before this can be confirmed
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets get this straight I'm not the one arguing anything, your the one calling me names, continuing to argue everything I say, telling me idk wtf I'm talking about when nothing you have said really helps this dude. Your on this kick about whatever with the maf when it has nothing to do with raising the boost. I am not saying the maf will or will not do that. Even a map sensor will or will not do anything. I am stating if your car is tuned to a certain psi, with x amount of timing that doing anything after that you take a chance of hurting things. That is what this is all about. And how that got into maf or map and altitude and what nots is beyond me.
I agree 100% on that I was strickly referring to a 1lb difference not being a giant deal as driving conditions like hot cold and altitude all can have effects that cause a 1 lb change in boost.. I would assume most tuners would account for that and not tune to such an extreme.. Take care.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:53 AM

Seems a little pointless to worry over 1 PSI for power or tune purposes.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Haha im the same way. But I tune.. He should be at the very least he monitoring the vitals (afr & boost) while cranking up the boost or if he modifies the car, to make sure he is fine. If the OP has no gauges or logging capabilities, then I wouldn't recommend it and it would probably be wise to take it back to Ivey. At 22 psi, there's still some room for improvement.
I made 310 to the wheels. Before I brought it in for the tune I did a ton of research on here to try n get an idea of what id end up with based on the mods I have and what other people have. Looked like I should be at about 340. When I took it to ivey they said id be about there in the mid 20's boost wise. When I picked the car up they said 310 I was surprised it was so low. I did not have a boost gauge at the time. Now several months later I install a boost and afr gauge and Im only at 22 lbs. I expected to be at least 25. I called them amd they said theres not much they can do without swaping cams or adding meth/water. Should I take it somewhere else to get tuned at 25lbs? Would it be worth the extra $500? The race is on may 11th.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Low 300's on pump is normal on a mustang dyno for IX's and basic mods. Full exhaust, LICP, Fuel pump and a tune. This is safe conservative timing/boost with AFR's in the low 11's. Some people claim to make mid 300's with same mods, but I think they are full of sheeit.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:08 AM

I have tubular exhaust mani, 3" 02 housing, full 3" catless turbo back, intake, 3.5" front mount, licp, mbc,big radiator and a walbro 255 in the tank. I believe ivey has a dyno jet not a mustang. So on a mustang it would be what 10-15% lower than the 310 on the dynojet right? I coulda swore id be at least 340 wheel on a dynojet. Oh and I have an viii.

Quick Reply: can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?