Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?

So ive got this race coming up against my buddy were very close in wheel hp and weight. How beneficial would it be to turn my boost up another lb? Im at 22 lbs now recently tuned by ivey. Could I seriously mess the tune up? Would it be worth doing? Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:02 AM

1psi isnt really going to matter. Just get a good launch and dont miss shifts.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

yes it can, my friend boosted his up with his ebc and it messed up his timing and all sorts of things.. he boosted it 3psi + and the car started to stutter as he went higher in the RPM range.. dont do it !
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by foxracing515151
So ive got this race coming up against my buddy were very close in wheel hp and weight. How beneficial would it be to turn my boost up another lb? Im at 22 lbs now recently tuned by ivey. Could I seriously mess the tune up? Would it be worth doing? Thanks
No you cannot "just turn up your boost", and whether it makes a difference or not is irrelevant.

If you're looking for that little bit of a gain, then upgrade the driver, not the car.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is he driving an Evo too ? If so just practice your launching and you're set
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
If you have your car tuned to a certain psi, changing 1 psi will matter. Think of it this way. Imagine your making this perfect glass of chocolate milk. You add 2 scoops to 1 glass of milk. That is the bomb right, what happens if you add 3 scoops of mix to the glass of milk? Exactly its gonna be more chocolateity. Now use the same analogy with your car. Your afr is told to be set at say 11.5:1 and you decide to go up 1 psi. With that said your afr will change being your forcing more air without changing the gas mixture.

Originally Posted by silver_ek
1psi isnt really going to matter. Just get a good launch and dont miss shifts.
see post above

Originally Posted by elim0
yes it can, my friend boosted his up with his ebc and it messed up his timing and all sorts of things.. he boosted it 3psi + and the car started to stutter as he went higher in the RPM range.. dont do it !
Yes this is because your forcing more air into the motor. Car will change from say 22 psi to 25 psi. It will sputter and spit being yeah its forcing the car to do something it isn't told to do.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Pull out some weight in the car. Ie spare tire, jack, rear seats, trunk liners, passenger seat.

Easy to do
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:40 PM

I wouldnt do it, not worth it imo, but im no expert on this!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cursedsm is 100% correct. To add onto what he's saying is that also in a tune depending on how much load and what rpm you're at the ecu refers to a specific set timing and fuel number. By upping the boost you're putting more load on the car going into "foreign territory" that your tuner has more than likely made extremely safe just in case if you accidentally over boost or something. Which will more than likely make your car slower. Plus there is something that the tuner can setup called a "boost cut" which is in case you over boost you'll hit the boost cut, hitting the boost cut feels like you hit a brick wall, saves your engine but not good for racing.

Just practice your driving and take some weight out of the car.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It's not ideal to make changes to levels of boost without appropriate tuning, however you will see a larger variance in boost simply from the change in temps that the seasons bring.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Best mod for a car is a driver mod, just remember that
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Cars got a Mass airflow sensor .. So if u add more mix to your "chocolate milk" it auto adds the perfect amount of milk to keep uour drink "the bomb" wouldn't it? now i have no idea wht your knock count is so if your car hits a fuel cut then just dial it bck. Its one race you paranoid panzys. 1lbs not gonna do anything.. My advice Ditch your spare tire.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Cursedsm is 100% correct. To add onto what he's saying is that also in a tune depending on how much load and what rpm you're at the ecu refers to a specific set timing and fuel number. By upping the boost you're putting more load on the car going into "foreign territory" that your tuner has more than likely made extremely safe just in case if you accidentally over boost or something. Which will more than likely make your car slower. Plus there is something that the tuner can setup called a "boost cut" which is in case you over boost you'll hit the boost cut, hitting the boost cut feels like you hit a brick wall, saves your engine but not good for racing.

Just practice your driving and take some weight out of the car.
+1

If you happen to look at your fuel and timing maps you'll see clearly what Cursedsm and hiboost2.0 are talking about.

Been going through this with a friend of mine on his VIII, he'd crank up the boost and the car would go slower, finally got tuned for the "high boost" and now he wonders why he ever messed with it before.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i want chocolate milk now!!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:06 AM

do not do it! i asked my tuner if i could a while back right after i got my tune he specifically told me not too

Quick Reply: can I crank my boost up 1psi without a tune?