Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boosting problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boosting problems

Hi everyone i am a new member and im from new zealand.. i am slowly learning my way around and i hope to meet good people with wise knowledge.. sorry if i am posting in the wrong place

I have a evo 4 with evo 7 motor , gearbox and turbo , evo 5 ecu and evo 5 afm.. currently is boosting 10psi but if i try to go over this i get a fuel surge.. mods are as follows below

3inch exhaust all the way ( no cat)
38mm tial wastegate (on stock manifold)
hks mushroom air filter with intake
hks bov
bigger intercooler with ralliart piping
560cc injectors out of evo 7 but using the evo 4 intake manifold
500hp walbro fuel pump

I am abit of a noob so sorry if sometimes i dont know what im talking bout haha
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im a noob also, i wish someone would explain to me about a turbo because i want to get one for my ralliart and i am looking at buying a 2006 evo or Evo MR
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolution4.7
Hi everyone i am a new member and im from new zealand.. i am slowly learning my way around and i hope to meet good people with wise knowledge.. sorry if i am posting in the wrong place

I have a evo 4 with evo 7 motor , gearbox and turbo , evo 5 ecu and evo 5 afm.. currently is boosting 10psi but if i try to go over this i get a fuel surge.. mods are as follows below

3inch exhaust all the way ( no cat)
38mm tial wastegate (on stock manifold)
hks mushroom air filter with intake
hks bov
bigger intercooler with ralliart piping
560cc injectors out of evo 7 but using the evo 4 intake manifold
500hp walbro fuel pump

I am abit of a noob so sorry if sometimes i dont know what im talking bout haha
Hey man, can't get enough Kiwis on here! Don't worry about sounding a bit noobish, I knew nothing when I joined here and I've learned enough to know next to nothing Where in NZ are you?

First things first, you have an Evo 5 ECU so it has been tuned? And tuned for all the modifications on your car right now?

You have an external wastegate, has the internal wastegate been disabled? What kind of boost control are you using, manual, electronic, ECU?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Hey man, can't get enough Kiwis on here! Don't worry about sounding a bit noobish, I knew nothing when I joined here and I've learned enough to know next to nothing Where in NZ are you?

First things first, you have an Evo 5 ECU so it has been tuned? And tuned for all the modifications on your car right now?

You have an external wastegate, has the internal wastegate been disabled? What kind of boost control are you using, manual, electronic, ECU?
hey thanx man.. im from wellington..

yes it has been reflashed and tuned for everything on the car. internal gate has been disabled by welding shut the flapper.. i am using a turbosmart boost tee.. another thing ive realized is that its very laggy! full boost at 5500rpm and yes stock td05-hra 9.8t
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:18 PM

Anyone got any idea
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

hey thanx man.. im from wellington..

yes it has been reflashed and tuned for everything on the car. internal gate has been disabled by welding shut the flapper.. i am using a turbosmart boost tee.. another thing ive realized is that its very laggy! full boost at 5500rpm and yes stock td05-hra 9.8t
No worries, I'm from Hamilton.

What does the surge feel like? Is it like a harsh cut or a bog or something different?

As for your lag, boost is compounding, so the cause of your surging may have something to do with your lag or vice versa.

When you said you have an Evo 5 AFM, you meant MAF right?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:41 PM

No worries, I'm from Hamilton.

What does the surge feel like? Is it like a harsh cut or a bog or something different?

As for your lag, boost is compounding, so the cause of your surging may have something to do with your lag or vice versa.

When you said you have an Evo 5 AFM, you meant MAF right?
Not really a harsh cut.. it feels like theres something holding it back. I thought its called afm as In air flow meter lol?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Not really a harsh cut.. it feels like theres something holding it back. I thought its called afm as In air flow meter lol?
Sorry about the irregular replies. From what I can tell by researching an AFM and MAF are similar but the MAF sensor is newer and more advanced. If you are using an Evo 5 unit with an Evo 5 ECU they will be directly compatible no worries.

One of the first things I should have mentioned is to do a boost leak test (sorry, better late than never).

Has the car been running right at all since the work was done and turned to **** recently or is this been happening since the swap? Has your tuner given you any feedback?
Old May 27, 2017, 03:16 PM

Sorry about the irregular replies. From what I can tell by researching an AFM and MAF are similar but the MAF sensor is newer and more advanced. If you are using an Evo 5 unit with an Evo 5 ECU they will be directly compatible no worries.

One of the first things I should have mentioned is to do a boost leak test (sorry, better late than never).

Has the car been running right at all since the work was done and turned to **** recently or is this been happening since the swap? Has your tuner given you any feedback?
i have an Evo 4 and put a 6 engine in. Since I put in Wally 255 pump and 6 ecu in it has been doing something similar like I loose power and have no eccelration but then will kick back in and run fine. I thought it was maybe because of running Evo 6 ecu and Evo 4 AFM but maybe we need to check our coil packs? Or have your found what the problem was? I see it's a bit of an old post now. I'm from NZ too 😎