Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is making this noise in my Evo IX ? (Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is making this noise in my Evo IX ? (Video Inside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QoTc...ature=youtu.be

I think its a pulley. But im not a mechanic so I wouldn't know. Can anyone give me some opinions on what it is? If I rev the engine I don't hear it getting louder or anything like that. And it sounds like its coming from the side of the engine near the pulleys and belts.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Kinda sounds like something hitting your timing cover. Maybe the pully or the belt. I have heard it before on my car and that's what it was one mine. Hard to tell for sure though.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...elt-video.html
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup the notorious timing belt and tensioner^^^^
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:18 PM

Well let me add this:

When it just starts up, there is no noise at all. When it starts to get warmer that's when the noise appears. Im in the Wisconsin area so its cold outside always around here.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Spray some wd40 on the outside pulleys and seen if it quiets down.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:18 AM

I just sprayed WD40 on the pulley that is on the alternator. The noise goes away completely for maybe 10 minutes. Now it only makes a slight quieter version of the noise. So IDK about the whole timing belt suggestion.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:29 AM

get under the car with a breaker bar and loosen the serp belt tensioner. Then just check that it is lined up on the teeth/grooves correctly. Not sure how old yours is but if its been awhile then just get a gates belt replacement for $20-30 from rockauto and swap it out. Kind of a PITA but takes like 20 minutes.

if thats not it then it is most likely the timing belt. How many miles on your current timing belt? did the tensioner get replaced when you last changed it?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdonIX
get under the car with a breaker bar and loosen the serp belt tensioner. Then just check that it is lined up on the teeth/grooves correctly. Not sure how old yours is but if its been awhile then just get a gates belt replacement for $20-30 from rockauto and swap it out. Kind of a PITA but takes like 20 minutes.

if thats not it then it is most likely the timing belt. How many miles on your current timing belt? did the tensioner get replaced when you last changed it?
I would agree. Also if you are already in there to replace the timing belt, I would strongly suggest you change the balance shaft belt at the same time. I have seen these loosen up over time in the industrial version of the 4G engines (I deal with this variant for work). I haven't yet seen one loosen up enough to fail but enough to possibly cause a squeal like that.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just simply remove your serpentine belt. Start the car. Is the noise still there?? if so its in the timing area. If not, its obviously an accessory. You can take a long screw driver or pry bar and put it on each pulley bolt, the other end to your ear, and see which one makes the loudest noise. Its either the pulley itself, or whatever the pulley is driving (like the alternator like you stated) Or it can be just as simple as a stretched or worn out serpentine belt. In that case replace it. Hope that helps.