Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A/C issue.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issue.

I am having an issue with my 2006 Evo IX MR's A/C. The problem started last year but became far worse just recently. Lately, the vehicle's A/C blows ice cold for about 15 minutes, then the compressor kicks off and won't come back on until the car cools down for a while. A/C has a full charge. I've read about a few people who had bad windings in the compressor which were causing it to disengage when hot, and not come back on. I would be ready to put a compressor in, but I tested the 2 pin connector at the compressor and there is no voltage to it. If I put battery voltage to it, the compressor kicks back in. This makes me think that I have a bad relay that is powering off when it gets hot. I checked my interior and engine bay fuse blocks, and tried swapping all the relays with other known good relays, but no fix. Is the A/C compressor relay located somewhere else in the vehicle? Anybody seen anything like this before. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just keep i mind that the pressure switch that is on the high pressure side of the line works with the compressor,so when the pressure reaches full it turns of the compressor off and when the refrigerant is low it turns it on so I am suspecting your clutch and or coil is bad.Or you can just replace the whole compressor and fix the problem all together.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:40 PM

Right, I get the purpose of the high pressure switch, but what bothers me is the fact that after the compressor kicks out, there is no voltage to the compressor at any point. If the problem was in the clutch or coil, I should still see voltage at the compressor connector.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This is an ultra common problem on the Evo's

Do a search, it's that the compressor clutch wears so that when the car gets hot, the clearance gap gets larger not letting the clutch grab the compressor to spin it. There is a shim kit that you can move the clutch closer... or in my case, so worn that I removed the shim all together.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the thread jack Diseasicon but i too am having problems with my ac. So when you said you tested for power with the two pin cables. You tested the female connecters with test leads positive and negative? I'm getting power from the single wire which is just one positive wire.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:55 AM

It looks like the Evo 8's have a single wire to the compressor, while my 9 has a two wire connector. I'm going to try pulling the clutch and shim, and seeing if changing the air gap corrects the issue. I'm still concerned about my readings at the connector, but maybe I just had a bad connection.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

By looking at most pictures the evo 8-9 should have the same compressor. Take a look at this picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-LANCER-...-/281045237398

There's a black plug and a white two wire plug. The black goes to the pulley/clutch and the white one comes from the clutch/pulley that leads into the compressor it self. Are you testing the white clip?