Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not reaching full boost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c.o.p. coil on plug, factory has two coils and two wires, cop is individual coils for each spark plug, used plugs and wires are a lot cheaper then new, it's easy to buy off here, all you need is a paypal account
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a few friends run into trouble with aftermarket oe replacement wires. Factory wires seems to be the way to go. Only reason I bought a coil on plug kit was because I bought in to the the whole "c.o.p. kits will solve all your problems, perform miracles, cure cancer and bring about world peace" hype. Didn't notice any improvement. Anyways....

Kick me $20 and I'll ship the ones I have. Hell, for $50 I'll ship you the coil packs too.

Side note: Uhhhson, cops in layton don't seem to like Oregonians very much do they? I was there last September and was followed everywhere.

Last edited by Thore; Apr 21, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

So I pulled my plugs out today and holy crap! The porcelain peice that's in the middle, you know that part that's sopose to be white. They are a burnt orange color! I replaced then maybe 2000 miles ago..
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thore
I've had a few friends run into trouble with aftermarket oe replacement wires. Factory wires seems to be the way to go. Only reason I bought a coil on plug kit was because I bought in to the the whole "c.o.p. kits will solve all your problems, perform miracles, cure cancer and bring about world peace" hype. Didn't notice any improvement. Anyways....

Kick me $20 and I'll ship the ones I have. Hell, for $50 I'll ship you the coil packs too.

Side note: Uhhhson, cops in layton don't seem to like Oregonians very much do they? I was there last September and was followed everywhere.
50 for your oem coils? Didnt you replace them because their bad? How do I test them to see if they are bad. I don't see any cracks or anything
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Have you added any octane boost lately? If so, I imagine the coloring is what is left of the additive.

Back when my car had 19k miles, Magnacore wires were installed. at 65,000 my car started missing at higher rpms and boost. Put the factory wires back on and that went away. Still seemed off and, instead of investing in new coils, I decided to just get a brand new coil on plug setup. Didn't make a difference, so the coils are fine, it's something else. Figured I would leave the cop kit on. So, that is my story on that. (sorry for the novel)

Either way, see what new plugs do for you and keep us posted

Last edited by Thore; Apr 21, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Have you added any octane boost lately? If so, I imagine the coloring is what is left of the additive.

Back when my car had 19k miles, Magnacore wires were installed. at 65,000 my car started missing at higher rpms and boost. Put the factory wires back on and that went away. Still seemed off and, instead of investing in new coils, I decided to just get a brand new coil on plug setup. Didn't make a difference, so the coils are fine, it's something else. Figured I would leave the cop kit on. So, that is my story on that. (sorry for the novel)

Either way, see what new plugs do for you and keep us posted
Ha we'll finish your novel! What was the issue with the miss firing? What are the best plugs to order if I'm pushing 25lbs of boost? Also what's the best wires? Oem or just whatever I can get from the auto store?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Miss-firing was the Magnacore wires going bad. I didn't know how notorious Mangacore wires were for going bad until after I started researching the problem.

Whats good? Factory plug wires and stock temp ngk spark plugs. Gap them at 0.020-0.022 and you are good to go. That setup should be good for 400-500hp but don't quote me on that.

Also, I'd pull your front o2 sensor. If your plugs look like that, then your o2 sensor would look the same and that is no good.

Last edited by Thore; Apr 21, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Miss-firing was the Magnacore wires going bad. I didn't know how notorious Mangacore wires were for going bad until after I started researching the problem.

Whats good? Factory plug wires and stock temp ngk spark plugs. Gap them at 0.020-0.022 and you are good to go. That setup should be good for 400-500hp but don't quote me on that.

Also, I'd pull your front o2 sensor. If your plugs look like that, then your o2 sensor would look the same and that is no good.
Alright so the plan is. Buy new plugs wires. Check for a boost leak. When I pull my 02 what am I looking for and how should I go about cleaning it? Also I need to put a 02 spacer on my back one
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I got a project this week!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:17 AM

do work! I don't think the boost leak would be a real problem yet if you still have your maf sensor, THORE: yes cops in Utah suck dick, I get pulled over for the little things, I had a cop tell me he was trying to keep "street racers" like me off the road, he pulled me over for modded exhaust
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uhhhson
do work! I don't think the boost leak would be a real problem yet if you still have your maf
What so you mean if I have a maf sensor still?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:58 AM

yea, the maf sensor usually compensates for small boost leaks, still want to fix them, but when you get a boost leak on speed density your car will usually drive like ****
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

A maf would compensate for a few things but not in this case. the boost leaks will be after the turbo which is after the maf.

The maf will register the air coming in but if there is a leak downstream, that metered air wouldn't all make it into the engine. So your air/fuel mixture will be off.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Utah police probably were questioning my emissions quality because of the rich exhaust stained rear section of my car lol. 920 miles will dirty a car right up.

Last edited by Thore; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: wtf. 2 posts? I just edited the first one.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

You said you just changed to shell 91. What were you using previously? Cars can become upset by changing brands of gas no joke. Were you using 91 before?

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not reaching full boost