Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not reaching full boost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 not reaching full boost

Hey so this weekend I went on a 800 mile round trip and I was babying it the whole way. But I decided to build up boost one time ad noticed that it was , I wouldn't call it "bogging" but it almost felt like it was getting a fuel cut and wouldn't go over say 15 lbs . I did it a few more times and had a huge BOOM . Sounded like it came from my test pipe or somewhere close to that.when I got to my destination and let it sit over night it did it again for a little bit but then started acting fine. Then on my way back home it did it again ofcourse. So I bought some Lucas injector cleaner and ran it in their and it went away. What's my issue here? I just started using shell vforce 91 octane because I read that it was some good fuel do you think my injecters are clogged?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 701evo
Hey so this weekend I went on a 800 mile round trip and I was babying it the whole way. But I decided to build up boost one time ad noticed that it was , I wouldn't call it "bogging" but it almost felt like it was getting a fuel cut and wouldn't go over say 15 lbs . I did it a few more times and had a huge BOOM . Sounded like it came from my test pipe or somewhere close to that.when I got to my destination and let it sit over night it did it again for a little bit but then started acting fine. Then on my way back home it did it again ofcourse. So I bought some Lucas injector cleaner and ran it in their and it went away. What's my issue here? I just started using shell vforce 91 octane because I read that it was some good fuel do you think my injecters are clogged?
Might need a tune, sounds like theres a fuel cut
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How your engine maintenance looking?

+1 on tune. Any new mods since then?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

But the weird thing is is that it runs fine now since I put Lucas in the gas I did a few pulls with it and it did it again.. Then less. Then less till it was pulling as hard as it always pulls hitting about 1.65 bars. I just don't understand it. Would I get fuel cut before I hit full boost? Iv owned it for quite a few months with no issues untill my trip
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thore
How your engine maintenance looking?

+1 on tune. Any new mods since then?
I keep my car well mainenenced only new mod that I have put on my car is a test pipe. Just a random question, do you think an exhaust leak can cause this? I don't think so but ill ask the gurues on this forum haha
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Test pipe may cause your car to overboost without a tune. *shrugs* Not sure if that applies here or not.

I know when I drove from the middle of Oregon to Salt Lake City, UT and then back, My car didn't like it one bit.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Test pipe may cause your car to overboost without a tune. *shrugs*

I know when I drove from the middle of Oregon to Salt Lake City, UT and then back, My car didn't like it one bit.
It wasn't over boosting tho. Are these cars just not ment for long distance trips? I mean no cruise control ?runs like **** after a long trip!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:32 PM

my car was kind of acting like that, ended up being a misfire from a bad coil pack, didn't throw any codes either
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

The test pipes messin it up. Tune it
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uhhhson
my car was kind of acting like that, ended up being a misfire from a bad coil pack, didn't throw any codes either
Oddly enough, the issues I was having after that trip was the magnacore wires going bad. Threw on the stock wires and immediately noticed an improvement.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Probably a boost leak. Those that say it is because of the test pipe you guys are wrong and are just spouting out the first thing that comes to mind.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Oddly enough, the issues I was having after that trip was the magnacore wires going bad. Threw on the stock wires and immediately noticed an improvement.
Does anyone know the best place to get new coil packs
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:41 AM

there not all that cheap, I borrowed a friends just to make sure before I bought new ones. I ended up going coil on plug, spoolin up offers a good cop setup
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'd start with plugs and wires. Since I went with a cop kit, I have some oem plug wires I could ship your way. They have probably 20k miles on them.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'd start with plugs and wires. Since I went with a cop kit, I have some oem plug wires I could ship your way. They have probably 20k miles on them.
What is a "cop" kit? If I'd buy wires I'd just get them from my local parts store but thanks man! I honestly don't even know how to buy stuff on here yet haha... :/

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not reaching full boost