Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock clutch limit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock clutch limit

Anyone have experience on how much the stock clutch will hold? I bought my 05 Evo GSR last year 100% bone stock and when I put it on the dyno it put down 258whp and 257wtq. My tuner said it might have a mild tune on it because my AFR was slightly leaner (11.5 I believe he said) than most stock VIII's run apparently. Anyways, since then I've done my full turbo back (Map DP w/wastegate dump) including tubular manifold and test pipe. Recently installed my guages and I'm peaking 23psi and holding 20psi steady, however I'm holding at 12.3 AFR ( I know I need a tune), which is more lean than I want. Now, my clutch doesn't slip AT ALL. But The few times (and I do mean few) I've launched it, I smell clutch no matter how fast or slow I let out. Obviously I'm done launching at this point, but how much more power will it hold? I plan on doing my front mount and piping, BOV (it will not go on until the day I'm driving to the tuner), fuel pump, then getting a tune and calling it quits for a while. Just curious how long it will hold up until I can get a new one.

Not a bad line for stock (at the time)?

Last edited by McSlides; Apr 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
As long as your not launching your car it will hold up. After getting some bolt ons on my car the first time and my power was 325 whp/ 319 wtrq on a dyno-jet I would have the same issue on launches. I would get a tune if I were you because those 12 afr's are just a little lean.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:15 PM

Sweet cause I really don't want to buy a clutch right now. My ACD needs servicing at the moment lol. I know I definitely need one, but I really don't wanna pay $300 for a tune right now, just to get a another one in a few months. She is lean, but she runs perfectly fine. Thanks for the info man.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by McSlides
Sweet cause I really don't want to buy a clutch right now. My ACD needs servicing at the moment lol. I know I definitely need one, but I really don't wanna pay $300 for a tune right now, just to get a another one in a few months. She is lean, but she runs perfectly fine. Thanks for the info man.
Yeah I agree, just wait to tune it and pay once. Just take it easy. Your afr's should richen up with the warmer weather though. GL
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:19 AM

I have seen a few guys running well into the 11's on the stock clutch. They don't last long drag racing but if treated gently for launches, they could live on the street for some time.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can make some decent numbers on a good tune I made off after replacing the stock clutch with another stock clutch.and I have boltons and its not so bad.