Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine knock

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine knock

I was doing a pull today and After I was done the engine knocks now its pretty loud. No noise from idle to 3k rpm but after 3k it sounds like its a loud knock noise. I'm trying to eliminate what it is. Btw the car is about stock boost if that matters
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nateevo8
I was doing a pull today and After I was done the engine knocks now its pretty loud. No noise from idle to 3k rpm but after 3k it sounds like its a loud knock noise. I'm trying to eliminate what it is. Btw the car is about stock boost if that matters
Possible rod about to go out maybe... my buddies car did that last week but only at 3k and was getting worse then it just completely locked up.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
You can try isolating it using a 2x4 or piece of wood. Have someone rev the car lightly on and off and put the piece of wood to your ear. Place the piece of wood near the oil pan,cylinder head,trans and exhaust.
Have someone push the clutch in and see if the noise changes to eliminate possible transmission issues. If you still can't pinpoint it don't drive the car.
Cut open the oil filter and see if its full of metal particles. If it is then you will need to take the engine apart and fix it. If this is over your head, take it to a reputable shop and have them diagnose.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it is clutch noise. I launched it on the pull. I replaced the clutch about 2k miles ago it defiantly isn't rod knock
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:29 PM

I think I have it narrowed down to clutch. When its in gear and the clutch pushed in when you rev it up the car lunges forward alittle and the knock noise has really quieted itself up. Anybody have any opinions
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you launched it, it's probably your throw-out bearing. The ticking or "knock" is very common. Launching the car only damages or acclerates the wear of a TOB.