Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stock evo 9 wastegate actuator

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock evo 9 wastegate actuator

hello EVO M. I'm a little confused on wastegate actuator. i have a evo IX with sock turbo. i contacted a tuner around my area and i told them im looking for 350 or so WHP. and they gave me a list of modification that i need to achieve that and changing the Wastegate actuator was one of them. now my question is how much can a stock evo IX actuator handle? and do you guys think i should get an aftermarket actuator for stock turbo and 350ish WHP? i already have all the supporting mods.
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You don't need to change it until you run a larger turbo. Are they the ones trying to sell the parts? If so then it makes sense why they said to swap it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subbed.. would like to kno too
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

no all they said is that i need to have the wastegate actuator to be close to the 350 WHP mark. so as far as stock EVO IX turbo i should be fine with the stock actuator?
Thanks for the reply guys
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Ive seen a few people run around the stock WG and accomplished 350+ but I have no idea on how long they were doing that for.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

You'll hold more boost up top if you change to a FP 18psi WG, the stock spring get's lazy after time and will bleed. It's a cheap part to add to your list and will pay for itself.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Alright thanks gentlemen. Appreciate your help. So Just get a 18PSI WG and I should e good.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yep. You should look into the FP or the Forge wastegate actuator. I personally have the Forge unit and love it.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No need in changing it unless yours is failing. I made and still make over 400 on the OEM one. The car has been running around 26-27psi for 45,000 miles and making this power for 2 years or so.

mdsevo06, since he is running stock turbo he does not need it to "hold more boost up top" because the stock turbo is blowing hot air and needs to taper. If it is failing then he should changed it though.

Last edited by evo8426; Apr 27, 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

What's the PSI rating on a stock WG? Anybody knows. Looked online couldn't find anything.
Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by benIX
What's the PSI rating on a stock WG? Anybody knows. Looked online couldn't find anything.
Thanks
Pretty sure its ~10-12psi.. This: http://www.theboostlab.com/store/pro...-Actuator.html says the OEM spring is 11lbs, so its around there.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:42 AM

my stock one held 20psi and my turbo was spiking to 24 with the stock one
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:32 AM

Evo ix actuator problem please help

I LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE AM ONE OF THE 2 EVO 9 OWNERS. THE MITSUBISHI DEALERS THERE ASKED ME NOT BRING IT TO THEIR SHOPS FOR REPAIR SINCE ITS NOT A MODEL THAT THEY SELL IN THE COUNRY. BOTTOM LINE, I PURCHASED THE CAR WITH A BLOWN TURBO AND FIGURED THAT OUT AFTER ME AND MY MECHANIC SPENT WEEKS WORKING ON IT, IN THE MEAN TIME I BOUGHT A STOCK BOV, A NEW WASTEGATE SELENOID, A NEW EGR VALVE, A NEW EGR SELENOID, THE TWO O2 SENSORS, ETC.. AND FINALLY I PURCHASED A NEW STOCK TURBO. AFTER INSTALLING THE TURBO THE CAR WORKED FINE AND BOOSTED AND IT WAS FUN THEN 4 DAYS LATER I STARTED HEARING A LITTLE WHINING FROM THE ENGINE THAT BECAME OBVIOUS LATER AND MOST OF THE BOOST WAS GONE. I RUN A LEAK TEST AND I FOUND A LEAK FROM THE Y ( y SHAPED HOSE) HOSE, ONE OF THE WG SELENOID HOSES AND THE THROTTLE BODY SEALS. I FIXED ALL THE LEAKS AND REPLACED THE TB SHAFT SEALS AND NOW THE CAR IS BOOSTING BETTER BUT NOT LIKE IT USED TO WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THE TURBO. I STILL HEAR THE WHINE ESPECIALLY WHEN I CHANGE GEARS AT HIGH RPM ( METAL STOCK BOV) PLUS WHEN THE CAR IS ON NEUTRAL N I GIVE IT GAS FROM THE TB THE ACTUATOR DOESNT MOVE AT ALL . WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THE TURBO THE ACTUATOR USED TO MOVE !!!!
COULD IT BE MY WG SELENOID WENT BAD?? MY ACTUATOR CAME WITH THE TURBO NOT EVEN 500 MILES IN THEM!!! PLEASE HELP
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:36 AM

I LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE AM ONE OF THE 2 EVO 9 OWNERS. THE MITSUBISHI DEALERS THERE ASKED ME NOT BRING IT TO THEIR SHOPS FOR REPAIR SINCE ITS NOT A MODEL THAT THEY SELL IN THE COUNRY. BOTTOM LINE, I PURCHASED THE CAR WITH A BLOWN TURBO AND FIGURED THAT OUT AFTER ME AND MY MECHANIC SPENT WEEKS WORKING ON IT, IN THE MEAN TIME I BOUGHT A STOCK BOV, A NEW WASTEGATE SELENOID, A NEW EGR VALVE, A NEW EGR SELENOID, THE TWO O2 SENSORS, ETC.. AND FINALLY I PURCHASED A NEW STOCK TURBO. AFTER INSTALLING THE TURBO THE CAR WORKED FINE AND BOOSTED AND IT WAS FUN THEN 4 DAYS LATER I STARTED HEARING A LITTLE WHINING FROM THE ENGINE THAT BECAME OBVIOUS LATER AND MOST OF THE BOOST WAS GONE. I RUN A LEAK TEST AND I FOUND A LEAK FROM THE Y ( y SHAPED HOSE) HOSE, ONE OF THE WG SELENOID HOSES AND THE THROTTLE BODY SEALS. I FIXED ALL THE LEAKS AND REPLACED THE TB SHAFT SEALS AND NOW THE CAR IS BOOSTING BETTER BUT NOT LIKE IT USED TO WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THE TURBO. I STILL HEAR THE WHINE ESPECIALLY WHEN I CHANGE GEARS AT HIGH RPM ( METAL STOCK BOV) PLUS WHEN THE CAR IS ON NEUTRAL N I GIVE IT GAS FROM THE TB THE ACTUATOR DOESNT MOVE AT ALL . WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THE TURBO THE ACTUATOR USED TO MOVE !!!!
COULD IT BE MY WG SELENOID WENT BAD?? MY ACTUATOR CAME WITH THE TURBO NOT EVEN 500 MILES IN THEM!!! PLEASE HELP

Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pendujatt
my stock one held 20psi and my turbo was spiking to 24 with the stock one
You can hold more power then 12 psi with the stock one. That's the spring pressure rate not what you are boosting at. You can also unscrew the top part of the actuator arm and cut 2mm off then screw that part back on and hold 30 psi with that stock wga all day long....

Quick Reply: stock evo 9 wastegate actuator