Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Galant VR-4 owner...need a hand with my EVO 8 MAF/intake setup please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galant VR-4 owner...need a hand with my EVO 8 MAF/intake setup please

Hello,

EVO 0 GVR4 owner here. I could just as easily ask this question over at GVR-4 or dsmtuners etc but I am going to ask it here since I am using an EVO 8 MAF and for other rhetorical reasons.

I had a problem overruning my stock GVR-4/1g MAF and was sold an EVO 8 399 MAF. My problem is now gone.

However, I am a cheap bastard and want to know what your thoughts might be on a MAF adapter and filter setup from the EVO 8 MAF on. I have the entire ETS intercooler and intake setup already for the GVR-4 right up to the 3 inch coupler that mates to the MAF.

Previous owner spent for the ETS setup and while I love ETS products, their customer service, and their attitudes but their setup is a bit spendy for me.

I do like the fact that their setup comes with all of the bolts to mount the MAF to the adapter and it seems like none of the other kits have that. Sure I can run to Lowes to get the bolts on a cheaper kit but I really want things to be bolt on. (Don't worry, I already have a working 1g to EVO adapter for the electronic portion).

Really thinking of getting this and being done....

http://www.topgearsolutions.com/etsmievo8and6.html

Space is a consideration. I only have 5 inches before a filter will rub the wiper reservoir (not sure what they did with it in this picture)

Thoughts?

Thanks you

This is the setup that I am running right up to the coupler before it meets the MAF (No this is not my GVR4 engine bay...I wish):

Last edited by blkchr91; Apr 30, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What number GVR4 you have?

As far as filters go, there was a dyno comparo that talked about which filter produced what. That's on the Evo's 4G63 though...

As for that product you mentioned... any adapter would be fine, and then select the filter of your choice.

The only other thing worth noting is... Evo MAFs tend to be a bit finicky if you run a hard pipe from the MAF to the turbo. Some people have no issues, and some people have strange issues. YMMV.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Vibrant makes a maf adapter for around $20... filter is your choice but Amsoil and Perrin are both great choices... as for the bolts go to ace hardware and get some button head bolts and matching nuts and be done with it...
Old May 5, 2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks all...car is 76/2000.

I ended up getting this one before you all posted. Did some searching on here and hadn't seen any negatives.

Price was right and satisfied my goal of not running to Lowes. The filter needs to be 5 inches or less and it seems to be about 5 inches in length from a post I saw on here. Anyways, it is Amazon so if I don't like it I can return it with a prepaid label. It is a Blox air filter (The link is double posting so not sure if you can see it at all)

BLOX AIR FILTER Air Filter Assembly Kit - Mitsubishi VIII, IX : Amazon.com : Automotive BLOX AIR FILTER Air Filter Assembly Kit - Mitsubishi VIII, IX : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blkchr91
Thanks all...car is 76/2000.

I ended up getting this one before you all posted. Did some searching on here and hadn't seen any negatives.

Price was right and satisfied my goal of not running to Lowes. The filter needs to be 5 inches or less and it seems to be about 5 inches in length from a post I saw on here. Anyways, it is Amazon so if I don't like it I can return it with a prepaid label. It is a Blox air filter (The link is double posting so not sure if you can see it at all)

BLOX AIR FILTER Air Filter Assembly Kit - Mitsubishi VIII, IX : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thoughts?

Thanks again.
That filter will be just fine. Frankly any of them are fine. With turbo's of course, the effectiveness of a filter is magnified, but you still aren't going to see any crazy gains or losses from filter to filter.

Let us know how it works!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:17 PM

Thanks...seems to have worked out well. Filter is about 6 inches in length though. I am rather surprised that it fit. I haven't really taken it out for a drive yet but hopefully the deal helps someone else. I found out the hard way that the hardware is not included with the filter and based on some pictures that I have seen around I expected it to.

I hate going to the hardware store, but luckily I did for another project today (the project failed though) which left me four perfectly sized screws. I had some lock washers laying around and put it all together. Screw/bolt size is M6x1.0 if anyone ever needs it.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
That filter will be just fine. Frankly any of them are fine. With turbo's of course, the effectiveness of a filter is magnified, but you still aren't going to see any crazy gains or losses from filter to filter.

Let us know how it works!