Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Power steering cooler removal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Good info, I think I still have most of my stock lines in my parts bin. I found the p/s line diagram in the evoscan pages so I just need to figure out which ones I need.
I think I'm for sure missing the cooling loop but I should be ok with out it until summer if need be.

Putting a car back to stock sure is a pain in the butt.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
The inner diameter of the AN lines are usually smaller than say a regular rubber hose of equivalent outer diameter. The design of the AN system seems to not take into account the inner diameter but rather its outer diameter. Because of wall thickness, inner diameter can vary.

http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stpg...faf68fc8391439

so here its saying a -6AN line that you have is about .355" for its inner diameter.
Its table above shows that this line is used for 3/8" hose.

Looking at the conversion here, the 3/8" hose actually has a .3750" inner diameter. That difference can cause enough of a restriction in the system and cause issues.
http://www.edsebooks.com/paper/inchm...tml#inchmetric

I was reading on here a while ago some folks having a similar issue when they tried going with AN hoses to replace the coolant hoses. The inner diameters of the oem hose were much larger than the AN and I believe it was causing them some issue. I was gonna switch to AN lines when I had my steering rack off but after researching more into it, the oem lines work just fine. If you wanted to do something custom then I recommend using a ss crimped fitting vs the regular AN fittings that press in. This is what I went with for my ACD relocation line, and while it doesn't have a fancy swivel fitting, it will handle the high pressures in your power steering system better. G/L
That restriction is irrelevant.

The coolant issues you talk about are for the morons who got from a 1 3/8 hose to a 12an hose that had a inner diameter of less than 3/4 of an inch. When they should use a 20 or 24an.

As far as deleting the ps cooler I would not.

I just did a custom front mount oil cooler setup and the oem tube cooler was in the way. So I removed it and put a tube and fin cooler to replace it. It's a 6 inch by 5 inch cooler and gets the job done. Cost me about 40 bucks from jegs.

You can see it but it's behind the ic on the lower left.
Attached Thumbnails Power steering cooler removal-image.jpg  
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can tell you this, Collin specifically told me that 6AN wasn't big enough.... It has to be 8AN. I purchased a TF tucked power steering reservoir off of the evo AK guy who commented before and spoke to Collin about building a system so I could start amassing parts. The one I bought had 6AN fittings so this is how we ended up discussing the size of the lines.

Also, Collin stated that he deleted his PS cooler and has had no issues even in the Texas heat. If and when I end up found mine I am definitely going to buy a small cooler to put in. I want to do track days and I am not going to risk it.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
That restriction is irrelevant.

The coolant issues you talk about are for the morons who got from a 1 3/8 hose to a 12an hose that had a inner diameter of less than 3/4 of an inch. When they should use a 20 or 24an.

As far as deleting the ps cooler I would not.

I just did a custom front mount oil cooler setup and the oem tube cooler was in the way. So I removed it and put a tube and fin cooler to replace it. It's a 6 inch by 5 inch cooler and gets the job done. Cost me about 40 bucks from jegs.

You can see it but it's behind the ic on the lower left.
Are those pushlock fittings and hoses for your cooler in that pic?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
I can tell you this, Collin specifically told me that 6AN wasn't big enough.... It has to be 8AN. I purchased a TF tucked power steering reservoir off of the evo AK guy who commented before and spoke to Collin about building a system so I could start amassing parts. The one I bought had 6AN fittings so this is how we ended up discussing the size of the lines.

Also, Collin stated that he deleted his PS cooler and has had no issues even in the Texas heat. If and when I end up found mine I am definitely going to buy a small cooler to put in. I want to do track days and I am not going to risk it.
Someone should tell chase bays this. If it were 8AN lines though wouldn't the fitting that connect the line to the rack itself still have to be a 6an so that it will fit the rack?? Wonder if I could just drill out the hole in those fittings... I do have a second set of them.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Have you guys looked where this stuff is routed.

The ps cooler comes off the pump and the reservoir the rest of the system is untouched
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Are those pushlock fittings and hoses for your cooler in that pic?
No they are Aeroquip fittings.

The oil cooler has an 8 an adapter
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i highly doubt you will have issues removing that cooling line unless you are rallying the car, or MAYBE at some hardcore autox/rallyx
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AreSTG
i highly doubt you will have issues removing that cooling line unless you are rallying the car, or MAYBE at some hardcore autox/rallyx
Go for a drive and grab the ps lines. They get very hot.