Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX 71HTA before/after boost leak test

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
EVO IX 71HTA before/after boost leak test

So I posted a VD chart (it's all I got, nearest AWD dyno is hours away) on the dyno forum the other day. It was cool, maybe 40 degrees out and the car put up almost 420 awhp. I've used the same road every time and it was within 3 awhp of a dynojet chart I got when I first bought the car. It's not perfect but it's all I got.

Anyway, several posters wondered why I wasn't seeing full boost until almost 4300 RPM so I started to dig in a little. I added a little preload to my wastegate actuator and did a boost leak test. I had some significant leaks at couplers I've never touched, so they've basically been there the whole time. The difference in how the car drives is ridiculous. Power seems almost instantaneous where before, it definitely felt a little laggy. Turbo is an FP HTA71, basically a CHRA upgrade with an 84mm anti-surge cover on it.

Here's the chart:

Power is down in part because it's about 40* warmer out today than the first chart, plus boost is down a tad. I've already cleaned up the AFRs, they were a little lean for my tastes on 93 octane. All runs were knock-free except for the dreaded "shift knock" that I still can't figure out, so she's running very well IMO. Not the fastest thing on four wheels by any means but the powerband really compliments the AWD system to make for a pretty fun daily ride

I also posted the chart in that thread so I hope it's not a violation - I just thought it might be valuable for folks to see. I took it for granted that the UICP, installed before I bought the car, was installed correctly but, alas, it was not. So if your car feels laggy, test it! I still have TB shaft seals to do, that should help even more. Then TSCOMPUSA is converting me to SD which also should help, I think.

Todd
Old May 6, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is why EVERYONE should be testing their cars for boost leaks regularly, AND why whenever someone is having some "issue" we say to do a BLT FIRST!

Graphs look good though man!
Old May 6, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I was being arrogant and lazy with not checking it when I first picked up the car and again after I made mods. I just hope this post inspires someone else to check and fix their leaks. The difference in drivability is astounding, seriously. Power everywhere now, it seems.