Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

inconsistent timing belt tension?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
inconsistent timing belt tension?

Just replaced my timing belt, balance shaft belt and all components( all gates products). Im getting a loud squeak and smoke from timing cover and noticed the belts hella tight. So i went back in to readjust and reset the motor to tdc, and while at tdc the belt is at perfect. Rotated back off tdc and its super tight again. Any suggestions before i take everything back apart? Any help is much appreciated!
Old May 6, 2013, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

When you have it set correctly you should be able to slide the grenade pin in and out freely. What procedure did you use to set the eccentric pulley? Smoke and squeak are bad, are you sure you have all the pulleys on correctly and and torqued to spec?
Old May 6, 2013, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the tension is perfect in position A, and not in position B, then the issue is likely with your eccentric pulley.

I would also consider making sure you put the cap (plate) on the one pulley correctly (crank iirc)... putting it on backwards allows the belt to move around, and usually destroy itself.

Something else I might suggest... I'd replace that belt again.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take it back apart and double check everything again.

Don't take any chances
Old May 6, 2013, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Keep in mind; depending on where the cams are at, the tension you feel on top of the belt may vary slightly throughout the rotation. If its squealing and smoking though your going to want to start from scratch and triple check EVERYTHING, consider a new timing belt as well..

The plate the above poster is talking about is the trigger plate for the crank angle sensor (noted in pic), if its backward your motor will barley run and it will destroy you CAS and timing belt in short order.

Old May 6, 2013, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Post up some good pics when you get the covers off so I can take a look at it.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:03 PM

Well i had a good buddy whos got many 4g timing belt jobs under his belt do most of it, so i appologize for any vagueness. This was the first belt ive actively participated in haha. I know he had a specialty tool to set the eccentric tensioner, but how exactly he went about it im unsure. I only had the car running for 5-10a minutes afterwards and notices a small amount of smoke so i shut it down. Runs fine, just squeaks:/. Before we put it all back together it squeaked, but i related it to possibly a small amount of coolant in the timing cover( from water pump removal) i dont have an air compressor so i just brake cleaned everything out to help dry it up and wiped it down. Ill try to get it all back apart tonight and take some pictures, also ill fwd this thread to my buddy and have him go through the suggestions and let me know how he did what. Thanks everyone!
Old May 6, 2013, 04:05 PM

Oh, and without an air compressor i couldnt remove crank sprocket, so i just snaked my balance shaft belt behind it with easy, just removed crank sensor and moved crank back and fourth slightly.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:29 PM

Figured it out. My eccentric tensioner is wrong. Its an 1/8th of an inch taller, and the pulley its self is ever so slightly different. Matching p/n's in larger print, Koyo 6006rrid, but in very small print along ridge of stock pulley reads PU106018J and the new one reads PU106018F. New belt and another tensioner
The following users liked this post:
SimonE7 (Oct 17, 2019)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmmk4
Figured it out. My eccentric tensioner is wrong. Its an 1/8th of an inch taller, and the pulley its self is ever so slightly different. Matching p/n's in larger print, Koyo 6006rrid, but in very small print along ridge of stock pulley reads PU106018J and the new one reads PU106018F. New belt and another tensioner
Hello

I am facing this issue as well.

PU106018J appears difficult to be seen in the market. Most carry PU106018F.