Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TAKING DEPOSITS ON EVO VIIIs IN DFW, TX.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2002 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MitsQueen
I am actually agreeing...thats why I was mad that someone was taking deposits on this car.....
I know

I was referring to your regional manager comment
Old Aug 13, 2002 | 01:06 PM

I am just saying that I will do everything that I can from my end to find out what I can...and tell the truth even if the truth is that we know nothing...

P.S. I did hear that Voice stream is making some changes...lol..I do know that you are getting new tents,,they ordered them from my bestfriend.... www.exhi*****ic.com
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hooby, I like your convoluted agreement with my statement, but, I do have to say that while Mitsubishi has not out and out lied, they HAVE "misrepresented" their intentions on at least one documented occasion.

What I refer to was the mini-article in Car and Driver entitled "The worst kept secret in the Autmotive Industry" about how Mitsubishi finally released information that they would be releasing the EVO VII (not VIII) with the ACD, AYC, Brembos, and the other goodies that makes the EVO VII so desirable. Mitsu stated in said release that the car would be released in January 03 for about 30K. That was about 6 months ago. Now, we get a complete about face, in which there will be the EVO VIII, and Mitsu is holding their cards real tight on what will be included. RUMORS suggest that the car will be without Brembos, ACD/AYC, and a majority of the goodies. In fact, there is so LITTLE information, that assuming that these things will either be on there or not really is pointless. I personally think that it makes sense that these features will not be offered with the initial EVO, seeing as Subaru has plans to release the STi version of their venerable WRX Impreza. What would Mitsu answer with? How about a fully loaded Ralliart Edition EVO VIII? Makes a hint of sense. But, that's opinion.

Fact is, we know Jack and ****, and Jack just left town, as Ash would put it. And I doubt that anything below, as you said, a CEO or Executive board member or people in direct development of this vehicle knows much more on what will actually be offered on the car. In other words, to put a deposit on a car that you know next to squat about reeks of stupidity. I feel for those of you that had deposits on the EVO VII, and should now be worrying about what the hell you put a deposit ON.

I think that for the American enthusiasts who are waiting, condolences rather than praise is in order. Call me paranoid... but, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and before anyone says, "You're just naysaying because you're jealous..." That would only be true if I didn't think some people might end up paying 9K extra for what ends up being a Mitsu version of the current WRX. Fact is, if the hype is true, I would be jealous. But, there isn't enough info to substantiate said jealousy.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 03:57 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want to state that the evo has always has goodies. Brembos, recarios, and etc.. What your saying sound like their is a possibility of a wrx version of the evo. The matter of fact is that the upgraded oz will probably be that and the evo will alway be an evo.

Your like basically telling me that if i go back to asia and order a mustang cobra, I'll get a live axle, SOHC GT motor without the brembo brakes. WTF.... are you talking about ?

Look at that intercooler! Does that look detuned to you? If they don't use brembos they'll put regular lancer brakes under those huge 17" wheel? They said it'll have brembos. Remember they engineered a new bumper just to have the bumper to work with that intercooler. Do you still think they have the intention to down size to the wrx?

Think, If the engine was detuned it's not feasible to put such an overengineered unit. Besides mitsubishi announced at the auto show that they will keep everything except for what is required for U.S. regulations. Meaning that we are getting the japanese specs + U.S. emissions and safty.

Mitsu version of the current WRX
Look at that intercooler again It's larger than the sti intercooler.

Last edited by gtr; Aug 14, 2002 at 04:01 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

To StreetLancer:

I understand what yer saying, and beleive me....I've had my doubts with my dealer, and how they were going to screw me over, but after repeatedly asking them about the car, and the price, I have complete faith in them. It's really not good to have faith in a dealer, but I've been in sales for over a year now...so I've been able to figure out when someone's jst feeding me a line of bull, and whether it's because they're trying to get me to buy the car, or whether they just don't know, and they're a decent person.

You're right...RUMORS have suggested that it won't be loaded, but take a look back with me, and you'll realize that it's been about 50/50 as to whether it will be with or without the goodies. Personally...I think Mitsu would be stupid not to include that stuff. And although they've made some pretty large mistakes in the past....I don't believe that they're quite THAT dumb.

Hooby
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 04:26 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
What I refer to was the mini-article in Car and Driver entitled "The worst kept secret in the Autmotive Industry" about how Mitsubishi finally released information that they would be releasing the EVO VII (not VIII) with the ACD, AYC, Brembos, and the other goodies that makes the EVO VII so desirable.
Mitsu didn't tell the magazines ****. All Mitsu has ever said is 250+ HP, AWD, and eyeball displacing Brembo brakes. They also did NOT say that we would be getting the 7. They just said the Evolution or EVO and left it that. This all comes from Mitsu's official press release and so far has stayed true to what they said...
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Rax, uh, they did say all this in CAR AND DRIVER ABOUT 6 months ago.. If you'd like me to go and check my back issues, I'll do it later on tonight. But, they did state it would have the goodies aforementioned. This was an official, documented release from Mitsu of America.

GTR, sorry, but, you just sounded clueless. WTF am I talking about? About two or three months worth of information. More like WTF are you talking about. Oh, and as for the intercooler... come on... that's not even close to genuine proof of the true nature of the EVO VIII. Look at the first released pictures of the VIBE GT, and the kind of power it was running compared to the production version... that being the most recent example I can remember.

Hooby, while I hope Mitsu doesn't make that monumental mistake, I think that it is a good possibility if for nothing other than trying to keep up with Subaru. I mean, it would be a classic case of one-upmanship if the EVO with the goodies came out, and then Subaru came out with the STi. What in hell would Mitsu answer with? So, I think that something between a Lancer Turbo Cedia (which is the Mitsu equivalent of the current WRX, btw, GTR) and the actual Brembo, ACD/AYD equipped EVO came out, to compete with the WRX, and then they release the Ralliart EVO at a similar time as the WRX STi... I dunno, that just sounds like a pretty good strategy. And the general public who knows next to nothing about the true nature of the EVO's overseas wouldn't see the first released EVO as a deEVOLUTION as some here would, but as the greatest thing since sliced bread. And, whoa, you mean there is a bigger and better one?!?! Wow, didn't see that coming. Seriously, though, you think that Mitsu would simply cater to us, the minority when they can rape the general public who would love to see another WRX out there, with less controversial looks? Really.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 04:53 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

In case you weren't around with us at the beginning of this year, this is the official press release:
Friday January 4, 4:00 pm Eastern Time
Press Release

Big News for 2002 Los Angeles Auto Show:
A 'Bionic' Lancer for the U.S., Rally Racing, Tuner Candy, Montero Evolution Concept and RPM 7000

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. announced today that the Lancer Evolution, a rally-tuned model previously unavailable in North America, will be coming to U.S. showrooms next year. The announcement is sure to please enthusiasts who have hungered for the high-performance version of the popular new Lancer sedan.

Last year, the Lancer badge, already renowned in global markets, burst onto Mitsubishi's North American product line-up to great reviews and strong sales. This compact sedan -- replete with big-car features -- lets customers know that a low sticker price doesn't require a compromise in comfort, fun or durability. Evolution is a standout in the U.S. market's Lancer family.

Lancer Evolution: It's Coming!

The magnificent Lancer Evolution will appear in U.S. showrooms in the spring of 2003. ``The Lancer EVO is our chance to stir the blood of every enthusiast and build our reputation as a major performance player in this country,'' said Pierre Gagnon, president and chief operating officer of MMSA. ``It will cast warm light on every product we sell. When we say we build spirited cars for spirited people, everyone will be listening.''

Building on the Lancer sedan's robustly designed unibody, Mitsubishi's engineers pulled out all the stops, taking ``The Bionic Man'' approach to reinvention of a stronger, faster and smarter performance car. This unrivalled compact, super-sedan speaks volumes to Mitsubishi's technological prowess, and World Rally Championship winning heritage. Expect the Lancer Evolution sedan we'll see in U.S. showrooms to rumble with a 2.0 liter turbocharged, inline-four developing more than 250 rabid horses, gravity-defying four-wheel-drive handling, eye-ball displacing Brembo brakes and a sub-30K sticker price.

Lancer Motorsports

Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. will showcase its resilience, technical expertise and competitive spirit with an expanded motorsports commitment for the 2002 SCCA Pro Rally campaign that will feature the Lancer and its wild Evolution derivative. With Rhys Millen behind the wheel, Mitsubishi Lancers will do battle for the championship of the SCCA's premier rally series in both the Open class with an EVO VII, and the nearer-to-stock Group N class with a modified Lancer sedan.

Tuned Lancers

In the spirit of this LA Lancer celebration, several modified examples of Lancer sedans are on display, and give testament to the compact sedans resounding acceptance by the growing tuner culture. Modern Image, Rhys Millen Racing, and Shawn William are responsible for these Lancer-based creations that show just what the vehicle can become with just the right mechanical and styling brushstrokes. Turbochargers, lowered suspensions, wild graphics, racing bucket seats, roll bars, and lots of attitude are the touches applied to this tuner canvas known as Lancer.

Montero Evolution Concept

A Lancer Evolution cousin, the Montero Evolution Concept, will make its North American debut at the 2002 Los Angeles Auto Show. This concept vehicle summarizes the visual emphasis on passion and driving enthusiasm that will go into every one of Mitsubishi's vehicles as part of the chosen direction of new chief designer Olivier Boulay. The production Montero's elegance is replaced by an inspired and urgent sense of race-ready passion in Paris-Dakar bred Montero Evolution Concept. The athleticism of the design is evident through the chiseled and expressive lines of the concept. Mitsubishi technology appears beneath the alluring skin of this concept with a 3.5 liter V6 MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve Lift & timing Electronic Control) engine powering a Super Select 4WD system with AYC (Active Yaw Control) and an ACD (Active Center Differential).

RPM 7000 Concept

Also appearing for the first time in Southern California is the RPM 7000 Concept. The RPM 7000 is a rolling exclamation point of a design that embodies, or rather screams of the sporty image and competitive rally spirit that is Mitsubishi. This vehicle takes the ideology of the wild Lancer Evo series, and blends it in an over-the-top styling exercise that merges S.U.V. with tarmac dancing supercar. More than just a concept bottled up by conventional ``hybrid'' or ``crossover'' labels, the RPM 7000 uses a 315 horsepower all-wheel drive system to bring new levels of jaw-dropping performance to a vehicle that is also at home towing jet-skis.

Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. was established in 1981 by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Tokyo, and markets a full line of vehicles, including coupes, convertibles, sedans and sport utility vehicles. Its Web site can be accessed at www.mitsubishicars.com .

For more information or images, please feel free to contact the Mitsubishi News bureau at 888-560-6672.

For further information, please contact Janis Little of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc., 714-372-6429, jlittle@mmsa.com; or Maurice Durand of Fleishman-Hillard, Inc., 213-489-8247, durandm@fleishman.com, for Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.

SOURCE: Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.

Source: Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.
This is the only press release from Mitsubishi (other than the one from the Detroit Auto show). Magazines can say all they want to, but the fact is they are not Mitsubishi. If they were then we'd be getting a twin turbo Evo 7 (i.e. Motor Trend). I'll go look in my Car & Driver mags to see what you're referring to...
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Not to sound like I'm challenging you, but, go ahead. Oh, as for believing magazines... that argument is kind of weak when talking about taking the company's word for things.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and the Car and Driver thing... word for word:

Evo a go-go: The worst-kept secret in athe car business is now officially not a secret: Mitsubishi will import to the US a version of the racy Lancer Evolution VII beginning in the spring of 2003. The UsS version will offer about 250 hp from it's turbocharged 2.0 liter four cylinder. That compares with 276 horses in Japanese-market, with a different intercooler.The Evo coes with all-wheel drive, a yaw control system, and an active center differential. For an expected price of between $25,000 and $30,000, the Evo wears 17-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, and a racy body package. Mitsubishi has sat on it's hands with this little screamer, and now, very shortly after it appears here, Subaru's Impreza WRX will show up with a new STi version packed with about 50 more horsepower than the current WRX.

That is from Vol. 47 Issue no. 10, April 2002, featuring the Pontiac Solstice on the cover, page number 37 in the Up Front section.

If you want to hem and haw, that's your thing, but, there it is in print, and a little more recent that "at the beginning of the year."

Last edited by StreetLancer; Aug 14, 2002 at 05:08 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 05:16 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetLancer, that fine that we have a difference in opinions on the matter. I was just making a point that the turbo and engine is the real thing considering the size of the intercooler. That means with the emission "deturned" can be retuned easily to the normal state. Mitusbishi uses the alot stronger drive tran than the wrx "not sti".

Vibe gt was a protype and the evo was out for a long time. We know for sure it'll be more than 250hp agreed?

What do you consider as a turbo cedia? An evolution without brembos, ayc,acd, and recarios? What if we get half of the items listed would you still consider it not an evolution?

If you really believe a 30k evo will really be stripped to a new hybride good for you! The evo is hand welded and modified lancer. The wrx is a mass produced car built for the ground up. That is the difference is that the impreza was built to have a many models. 2wd, 4wd, turbo, and the sti and the evo was made as a statement. Production numbers were about 10,000 per year all over the world. Who know's maybe they'll get built a turbo cedia just for us . However for 30K i doubt it. It's just common sense that if they wanted to compete against the wrx they'll sell your turbo cedia for 25k and if they haven't said around 30 i'd never ordered one.

All i'm saying is that I hardly doubt the car would be nothing other than an awesome machine very close or exactly like the JDM. We'll definite see what will happen but,i'm saying we're getting the real thing because I trust the speech given at the car show.

No use argueing because we are all fans right?
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry, that last post reeked of naiveity. At best, you're looking at a 25-30 drop in power from the JDM. Secondly, the EVO VIII is a prototype. The EVO VII is the one that has been out for years.

The Lancer Turbo Cedia, if you're a halfway decent mitsu fan, is exactly on the exterior the same as the current USDM Lancer. It has the same chassis as well. The engine and drivetrain, however, are different. You can get one with a turbo or not, AWD or not. Basically, reports indicate that what would be released would be basically a Lancer Turbo Cedia (that's the Cedia with Turbo and AWD... no Brembos, computer controlled drivetrain, etc.) but with an EVO VIII shell. Then, when Scooby lays down it's STi, the company would respond with something called the Ralliart Evolution, which would be similar to the previous Evolution VII... the one with the goodies. If you think about it, that is a better marketing strategy, in that the people who would know the difference are those who spend alot of time looking at JDM spec vehicles... in other words, the specialty mags, and enthusiasts like us. Not even close to a majority of the population. They could release the EVO (the Cedia version) and the general public wouldn't know the difference. But, if Subaru opened up the STI, and Mitsu didn't have anything to answer to it... that could be a disaster. In other words, a fully loaded EVO would make a pretty damn good ace in the hole, whereas a Cedia version would make plenty of money simply because most of America doesn't know jack **** about JDM cars, and it would whet the appetite of the performance starved public for more. Without the Camaros and Firebirds on the market, and Ford possibly pulling the Mustang to redo the exterior completely and maybe add an inline 8 to the line... there will be a major marketing war between the import companies to produce sporty cars to fill in the void left by the domestics, and a company with an ace in the hole would have more security than just slamming out a top of the line immediately. If you say this doesn't make sense... well, I think you're not using a little thing called logic.

I do not agree that the car will have 250 horses, simply because there is no real information, specs or anything to really back that estimate up. Again, i don't think that a intercooler is enough evidence.

Simply put, Mitsu didn't exactly let folks poke around under the hood of the EVO VIII that they showed at Las Vegas, so who the hell knows what the hell they've got going on. No news is not exaclty good news in this case.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 05:47 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
Oh, and the Car and Driver thing... word for word:

Evo a go-go: The worst-kept secret in athe car business is now officially not a secret: Mitsubishi will import to the US a version of the racy Lancer Evolution VII beginning in the spring of 2003. The UsS version will offer about 250 hp from it's turbocharged 2.0 liter four cylinder. That compares with 276 horses in Japanese-market, with a different intercooler.The Evo coes with all-wheel drive, a yaw control system, and an active center differential. For an expected price of between $25,000 and $30,000, the Evo wears 17-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, and a racy body package. Mitsubishi has sat on it's hands with this little screamer, and now, very shortly after it appears here, Subaru's Impreza WRX will show up with a new STi version packed with about 50 more horsepower than the current WRX.

That is from Vol. 47 Issue no. 10, April 2002, featuring the Pontiac Solstice on the cover, page number 37 in the Up Front section.

If you want to hem and haw, that's your thing, but, there it is in print, and a little more recent that "at the beginning of the year."
Thanks for looking it up, I was too lazy. Since it was the April 2002 issue (went to subscribers and news stands beginning of March) and then add in the additional lag time for monthly magazines (at least 2 months) and you'll realize that they are simply basing their info off the press release I quoted above, with some of the usual speculation thrown in.

So to sum it up: All we know as fact is what said in their press release. That's it. Period. Everything else is just rumors and alleged "inside" info.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

In other words, I produced the information, and you're dimissing it. I guess that's exactly what I expected.

Quick Reply: TAKING DEPOSITS ON EVO VIIIs IN DFW, TX.