Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TAKING DEPOSITS ON EVO VIIIs IN DFW, TX.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2002 | 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last I checked there isn't any official date the STi will be here. It could be another year or two...who knows. Mitsubishi would be STUPID to come out with a Cedia Turbo and wait for the Sti. Grab the market while your the only one in it sounds better to me. That is what Subaru did with the WRX. Then if Subaru releases a slightly better Sti can always counter it with the next model year.
Btw, I'm pretty confident we will see 280hp, 6-speed, etc. They will do their best to bring it over close to JDM spec....Gagnon said they wouldn't bring it if they couldn't get it real close...they don't want to hurt the Evo image...and most of all they want to boost the image of
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 06:05 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
In other words, I produced the information, and you're dimissing it. I guess that's exactly what I expected.
Well I guess I am then...

I'm just trying to help all of these prospective Evo buyers from believing all the rumors and crap out there regarding the US Evo. We'll probably have to wait till the Auto Shows in Jan 03 to get the final word on the Evo. For now all we know is what was said in the press release (and MAYBE what the front end will look like).

P.S. I'll be expecting a 2 page reply. Thanks

j/k
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 06:33 AM

Originally posted by broeli
Last I checked there isn't any official date the STi will be here. It could be another year or two...who knows. Mitsubishi would be STUPID to come out with a Cedia Turbo and wait for the Sti. Grab the market while your the only one in it sounds better to me. That is what Subaru did with the WRX.

Guys I hate to sound like a know it all...Cause I'm NOT...but my store sells two car lines...Mits and Suby...and you are RIGHT..there is NO date for an STI at all!
But we do know that the Evo will be here in December.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 06:34 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
street lancer
Your talking about the 1.8L gdi engine? That is the lancer GDI turbo. That is not even a rally car. NO flair fenders nor able to compete with the wrx. Besides it's 2wd unless they just released the 4wd. You really believe they'll put that engine in the US evo? GDI requires serious octane.

Lets have a gentlemens bet. I bet you we'll have a 260hp+ full bread evo. Except we might not have the acd and or ayc because of warrenty issues they had in asia and fuel capacity in the U.S.

What is your point? You think we'll have a 30K super OZ 4wd?

Basically, reports indicate that what would be released would be basically a Lancer Turbo Cedia (that's the Cedia with Turbo and AWD... no Brembos, computer controlled drivetrain, etc.) but with an EVO VIII shell. Then, when Scooby lays down it's STi, the company would respond with something called the Ralliart Evolution, which would be similar to the previous Evolution VII.
Did you just got into evos. I've been a evo fan since 1997 with the movie thunder bolt by jakie chan evoIII. The Ralliart Evolution started after the lancer turbo and the GSR. Evolution is by ralliarts. Nothing new.

I've actually been to Asia, and you can basically order any options you want. You can still go to a scooby dealership and want sti version 4. OR whatever to suite your needs. My point is that i seen the car evolved and you probably just started reading up and believing what you want to believe. We'll see what happends and no use debating. Until then..........

Again, i don't think that a intercooler is enough evdience
Have you've taken autoshop?

Ford possibly pulling the Mustang to redo the exterior completely and maybe add an inline 8 to the line..
Where did you get this info????? DId you know an inline 6 is about the same size as an 8 and an inline 8 would require a dodge viper like hood. Ahh, please don't respond. On second thought i don't care what you believe after that statement. We'll talk after i post pics of my evo. Time will tell and i can't wait to say i told you so but until then, no hard feeling just debates

Last edited by gtr; Aug 14, 2002 at 06:54 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer Wow, didn't see that coming. Seriously, though, you think that Mitsu would simply cater to us, the minority when they can rape the general public who would love to see another WRX out there, with less controversial looks? Really.
That's exactly what I think. Companies having been doing it for years. That's where all the flagship models come from (i.e. - RX7, 3000gt, etc.) Not a lot of the public knows about those cars. Mitsubishi has said repeatedly that the reason this car is being brought over here is A) because they saw the market for a car like it and B) because Mitsubishi needs a "flagship" model that will hopefully bring back 's reputation as a maker of great cars.

Originally posted by StreetLancer I'm sorry, that last post reeked of naiveity. At best, you're looking at a 25-30 drop in power from the JDM. Secondly, the EVO VIII is a prototype. The EVO VII is the one that has been out for years.
There's NO way they would drop the HP # much...they have to have something to compete with the STI. There is NO question about it. They won't be stupid enough to water down the Evo...then suddenly say, "ohh shiz...Subaru's bringing over the STI...we better make something to compete with that". Not only would that cost way too much for developing a totally new vehicle...They also know that the STI's already coming.

The Evo VIII is a prototype, but they've been making new Evo's at a rate of one a year. I don't see why Mitsu would waste all the development in bringing DOWN the hp rating. I mean the obvious issues would be the emissions ratings, but I don't really think that would bring the HP rating 25-30...

Hooby
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MitsQueen

But we do know that the Evo will be here in December.
January sweety
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

You know, it's futile for me to even try to debate. It's like some kind of beer goggle is over your eyes... you simply refuse to believe any arguments that goes against what you think. I am at least trying to say something different than what everyone else is saying, and with good reasons, and all I get is the same answer... that because Mitsubishi says so. Well, you know, that's great. Believe whatever you want, I'm simply trying to provide a COUNTER-argument to what has been accepted with something akin to blind faith. Basically, all I'm saying is that there is good reason to believe that there WILL be a pseudo-EVO so that when a HIGHER model is released, it can more readily compete with the STi...

Is it so hard to believe that the idea of competition will make for a better "rivalry" which in turn will lead to more free advertizing and subsequent boosts in sales? I mean, you can talk about autoshop and all that other stuff, but, this comes down to Business and Economics, which is, let's be honest, what fuels all of this. Not love for cars. It's foolhardy to believe that the profit driven car industry would cater only to the minority of the car buying population. That's absolutely ridiculous. Why do you think the 3000GT, the Supra, and the RX-7 are no longer in production?

GTR, I don't know what to say. There is a turbo, AWD version of a Cedia, and has always been since the beginning of that line. Obviously you never knew about the Cedia line, so, don't even question the existance of options on a car that you didn't know existed until today. Again, read, it's not going to be a version of the OZ, but POSSIBLY a Turbo AWD Cedia with a EVO VIII shell. This, again, is a possibility, but, if you look at it from a business standpoint, it's a good one. In fact, the basis for the EVOs of the past were based off of the Turbo AWD Cedia, just refined by Ralliart. In other words, it would be just like in the past, except the first thing released would be the Turbo AWD Cedia, with a shell, and then Ralliart would refine them much in the same way that STi refines the WRX. Does that make even an iota of sense to you people? As for the Mustang plans, again, that was broken in Automobile magazine as something being considered by Ford, and was supplemented by sketches of body plans, in which it strongly resembled the old Boss's of the old glory days. There was Inline 8s in the mid-fourties, but, they were inefficient. With current technology, they could be made to be highly efficient... having all the pluses of V8s, and the pluses of Inline 6s... in other words, high top end, and outstanding low end torque. Again, this is something being CONSIDERED by Ford... as I said before. In any case, the gap left by the GM products being gone is more than enough to cause growth in the import performance market. What's gonna fill that? The GT and the Dodge Charger? Maybe if the economy continues to slide down, but...

In any case, this is my last post, because obviously there isn't room in the Evo Rumors section for people being bearers of bad news, or talking about possibly negative outcomes. Again, time will tell. All I wanted was someone to just come out and say, "you know, that's a possiblilty," and not just basically stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la."
Old Aug 14, 2002 | 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I know what you're trying to say...

It's just that these arguments have been brought up before.

I know yer trying to provide us "the worst case scenario", and we see it....it's just that we've been over that before, and we don't really see any logic behind why they would do such things. It'd just be plain ignorant/stupid/etc. to such things.

Trust me, we're not trying to rip on you er anything...or your point of view....it's just we've been over this before. And it's not as though all of us on this board are HUGE fans....I'll be the first one to admit that I see a lot of flaws in some of their cars, and there's a lot of cars that I would rather have. But for the $$$ it is/will be the best thing in the US. I garauntee it.

Once again. I'm not trying to downplay your arguments...we've just been over them many times before. If makes those mistakes....then I think everyone here AND Mitsu. knows that they would be pulling the trigger on themselves.

Hooby
Old Aug 15, 2002 | 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, Hooby, that's fair enough, but, I do think that while it would be a horrendous mistake for mitsu to go ahead and do what I have mentioned, and has been mentioned before, that's from an enthusiast's and a mitsu fan's point of veiw. I think that from a business strategy point of view, it is the most realistic, and I dare say likely thing to happen, simply because the amount of people who would know the difference are slim to none. Pretty much the only people up in arms would be people on boards like this, and let's face it, that doesn't constitute a majority of the population. The magazines really wouldn't pay much mind, since what they focus on most is power stats given to them from the manufacturer, and the 0-60 times. There might be some editorials about it, but, I seriously doubt that.

Hooby, I know you have listened, and I appreciate it, but, as I have said, some people don't even do that. While this subject has been brought up ad nauseum, I felt it was necessary AGAIN simply because we have people high-fiving each other over an uncertain future, not to mention people putting half a K on a car that has yet to exist as a production model. You and I both know that most people don't ever search the forum, and as mentioned before, there was alot of simple denial of the fact that this COULD happen at all, and ignorance to even the possibility.

Simply, there are not enough people in the US population that would know the difference between a real deal, and really raise hell about it. There are more than enough people willing to put the cash down in order to override a small minority of people who would actually even notice. Not saying Mitsu is guilty of it, per se, but, I think that a car's reputation bears little weight in comparison to profit to most execs, no matter what a CEO or corporate mouthpiece might say. Look at the generation previous to the current Thunderbird. I think that competition and profit are more of a motivating factor to car company heads than catering to the enthusiast, so, that's where my opinion comes from.

Thanks for being civil, Hooby.
Old Aug 15, 2002 | 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetLancer
The magazines really wouldn't pay much mind, since what they focus on most is power stats given to them from the manufacturer, and the 0-60 times. There might be some editorials about it, but, I seriously doubt that.

Hooby, I know you have listened, and I appreciate it, but, as I have said, some people don't even do that. While this subject has been brought up ad nauseum, I felt it was necessary AGAIN simply because we have people high-fiving each other over an uncertain future, not to mention people putting half a K on a car that has yet to exist as a production model. You and I both know that most people don't ever search the forum, and as mentioned before, there was alot of simple denial of the fact that this COULD happen at all, and ignorance to even the possibility.

Simply, there are not enough people in the US population that would know the difference between a real deal, and really raise hell about it. There are more than enough people willing to put the cash down in order to override a small minority of people who would actually even notice. Not saying Mitsu is guilty of it, per se, but, I think that a car's reputation bears little weight in comparison to profit to most execs, no matter what a CEO or corporate mouthpiece might say. Look at the generation previous to the current Thunderbird. I think that competition and profit are more of a motivating factor to car company heads than catering to the enthusiast, so, that's where my opinion comes from.

Thanks for being civil, Hooby.
Werd....no problem. Right back at cha.

As far as the magazines go...I think you may be incorrect there considering the rise of the WRX in the past couple years, but maybe that's jst me.

And as far as the US population goes...I think they're smarter than you think. Look at how many dealers have taken deposits, and even the ones that have stopped taking deposits simply because they can't assure everyone who puts a deposit down a car. Take the dealer Rax and I are getting ours from. They stopped taking deposits after numero 7. And this is in MN....nto exactly a large market

People know it's out there....and people know what it's all about (Rock that is ).

Other than that...I see where yer comin from, and that's cool with me

Hooby
Old Aug 15, 2002 | 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I think that while the American public might suprise me with it's knowledge, I don't think it'd astound me. I mean, again, look at the disappearence of the 3000GT, the Supra, and the RX-7. Granted, there are supposedly new versions of some these cars slated to be released in the coming years, but, if the demand for most of these was high enough, they would still be on the market while a new version was being devised. Mitsu would surely realize that, and as most businesses, if there is an oppurtunity to capitalize on be it ignorance or misinformation, you think they wouldn't?

Also, I'd say that the WRX is the exception rather than the rule.
Old Aug 21, 2002 | 05:23 AM

the only advice i can give is just to wait and see what the final specs are going to be

no magazine will have the final specs, so all the magazine quoting is pretty useless considering they are only trying to give a first glance at what the car will be like. so just think that it will be much better than the lancer we currently have and that's it. if you want some hard facts, the us never gets the full j-spec cars. but, considering the immense popularity of the wrx, this could be an exception. only time will tell.

but, as far as the stupid mf'er dealer and his butt buddy co-worker, you guys are idiots. claiming you worked with ralliart on design....sure buddy. and saying that you were doing the enthusiasts a favor by overcharging them $5k for dealer markup is gay. just because you guys work at a mitsubishi dealership doesn't mean you are a part of MMUSA. you guys aren't even MMUSA employees, so quit pretending like you are anything special and have any word on what upcoming vehicles mitsubishi is selling. dealers are usually privately owned middlemen and are only buying cars from MMUSA. unfortunately, us as consumers have to go through them to buy cars from MMUSA.

and because you guys get 100 phone calls per day concerning the evo doesn't mean much. even if the callers say they want to buy immediately, they're probably only saying that to get some decent attention. when i was looking to buy a car, i know i told every dealer i was ready to buy their cars immediately, but i was basically just talking a whole lot of trash because i didn't even have the money at the time.

and quit making up stories about having anything to do with the making of fast & the furious 2 and helping them choose the evo as the car. please. next thing your gonna say you sold vin diesel a car and now you own him. the fudge packer dealer and his boyfriend are a bunch of idiots!!!!

so if anyone reads this, please, do not leave deposits for cars you have absolutely no reliable information on. and if you are smart, you won't pay more than a couple $100 over invoice, not MSRP or dealer markup.

Old Aug 21, 2002 | 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm so disappointed. I've been waiting for someone to respond to this, and it's just a foul mouthed, ignorant noob. Pity.
Old Aug 21, 2002 | 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I must declare that I think that those of you who think that you are going to get a 280 HP lancer are out of your mind!

I think that a figure of around 250 is more realistic. The thing is, it is going to be "VERY" easy to uncork that extra 30+ ponies.
Old Aug 21, 2002 | 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AlanTheWoo
the only advice i can give is just to wait and see what the final specs are going to be

no magazine will have the final specs, so all the magazine quoting is pretty useless considering they are only trying to give a first glance at what the car will be like. so just think that it will be much better than the lancer we currently have and that's it. if you want some hard facts, the us never gets the full j-spec cars. but, considering the immense popularity of the wrx, this could be an exception. only time will tell.

but, as far as the stupid mf'er dealer and his butt buddy co-worker, you guys are idiots. claiming you worked with ralliart on design....sure buddy. and saying that you were doing the enthusiasts a favor by overcharging them $5k for dealer markup is gay. just because you guys work at a mitsubishi dealership doesn't mean you are a part of MMUSA. you guys aren't even MMUSA employees, so quit pretending like you are anything special and have any word on what upcoming vehicles mitsubishi is selling. dealers are usually privately owned middlemen and are only buying cars from MMUSA. unfortunately, us as consumers have to go through them to buy cars from MMUSA.

and because you guys get 100 phone calls per day concerning the evo doesn't mean much. even if the callers say they want to buy immediately, they're probably only saying that to get some decent attention. when i was looking to buy a car, i know i told every dealer i was ready to buy their cars immediately, but i was basically just talking a whole lot of trash because i didn't even have the money at the time.

and quit making up stories about having anything to do with the making of fast & the furious 2 and helping them choose the evo as the car. please. next thing your gonna say you sold vin diesel a car and now you own him. the fudge packer dealer and his boyfriend are a bunch of idiots!!!!

so if anyone reads this, please, do not leave deposits for cars you have absolutely no reliable information on. and if you are smart, you won't pay more than a couple $100 over invoice, not MSRP or dealer markup.

I understand your frustration, and I agree with much of what you have said. However, do try to keep it civil and keep the name calling(idiots, buttbuddy etc) out of the post. It is unnecessary and a violation of the TOS.

Thanks.

Mordeth

Quick Reply: TAKING DEPOSITS ON EVO VIIIs IN DFW, TX.