Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TAKING DEPOSITS ON EVO VIIIs IN DFW, TX.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002 | 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by StreetLancer
I'm so disappointed. I've been waiting for someone to respond to this, and it's just a foul mouthed, ignorant noob. Pity.
I understand your frustration StreetLancer, and I do appreciate the time you have spent researching this and reporting here. But please keep the name calling and insults out of your posts. They are unnecessary and a violation of the TOS of this board. Any more of this and the thread will be closed.

Mordeth
Old Aug 21, 2002 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Is that true? The EVO VIII will be the main car in the movie The Fast and The Furious 2?
If it is....it's about time the EVO gets some publicity

Peace
Old Aug 21, 2002 | 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

You guys know that 2 or 3 days ago, Vin Diesel backed out of the movie? As did the original director. TFATF 2 is going to suck.

Do you guys want some inside information on the movie? I know that one of the feature cars is going to be the unsightly APC/Super Street WRX! They had a choice between Rob Shaw's car (The pimped out black Greddy sponsored WRX), or the APC/SS ride, and they went with that God awful fugly orange jobber.

Greddy has been tweaking the orange car too. I am just dissapointed. TFATF2 is really going to suck nutz, but if the EVO VIII is in it, I will still pay to watch it. Vin Diesel probably wanted too much money in the end.

Andy
Old Aug 22, 2002 | 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

As I have posted elsewhere... the Fast and the Furious 2...

John Singleton is slated to direct. The "lead" car has changed several times, as has the cast. Currently, it appears that the storyline is that O'Conner will return, and go to Miami, as his last chance to make up for the Toretto incident, to infilitrate the import racing scene there, and take down a drug lord. He is joined by Tyrese, who was directed in Baby Boy by Singleton. The climactic end scene (like the supra vs. the charger in 1) will be a "high powered BOAT race". Boo. Vin Diesel backed out due to scheduling conflicts with the trilogy known as the "Chronicles of Riddick," whose writing team is headed by the Oscar nominated writer of "A Beautiful Mind," and the script itself has been compared to a cross between the Alien Series, and an extremely dark version of the Star Wars original Trilogy.

As for the lead car, the Evo VIII probably was never seriously considered, in my opinion. There is no real aftermarket product placement oppurtunity for it, unless the aftermarket companies already have the specs of the car itself. There was an article a month back at the Hot Import Night's website featuring the Blackbird Skyline GTR stating that in fact, the Blackbird Skyline would be the "car to beat." Of course, there were so many "cars to beat" in the first movie, that none or all of the rumors could be true.

In my personal opinion, this movie will be WEAK! I've stated my recent conversion to being anti-street racing, but, as an enthusiast, and a lover of cheesy action flicks with good stunts, I was severely disappointed to see that Cohen wasn't going to direct. Cohen, granted, cannot seem to get a good performance out of any actor, but, does well as a director of action scenes. I think that Singleton might not do well since his past films main action scenes have been basically drive bys, group beat downs, and other "urban" forms of action. Car races, chases, and crashes don't seem to be his strong suit. And he might try to make it overly preachy, which isn't what this film needs at all. If they wanted a bigger name director, maybe they should have gone after Ridley Scott. Ha ha.

And as for if the EVO is in it... I think it could be the worst thing for this car. do a search of the forums... I know I've posted why I think that somewhere.

Oh, and Mordeth? So sorry to violate the TOS, yet again. Just said what was on my mind.
Old Sep 20, 2002 | 05:57 AM

Lightbulb the rumor and the facts

Hey guys (and girls) hello all....
You know.... I carried the same anxiety as some of you have had.
Just perhaps I am about a month to two months late for the discussion. Actually in last couple of days I have been trying to use google site to search for the latest information on Mitsubishi since I viewed one of the magazine on newstand a few days ago at Safeway that the Evolution VIII is posted on the Mitsubishi's lineup carrying an estimated $30,000 msrp.

As of my feeling... some folks are right... because of the 5mph crash test, Mitsubishi might really need to either reinforce the front bumper to take on the impact or they 'd have to relocate the oil intercooler. If latter is under its way, the picture (rumor or legal or not) shown in that magazine I checked out is not possible there since that one has a hugh intercooler just behind the bumper.

Re-reading the page 1, 2, 6, and 7 of this thread... I think the idea of the Lancer Cedia 4wd turbo is quite possible. Basically an Evo 7 without the brembo brakes, the Recaro seats. By omitted these two packages can save a stock cost of $3,000 to 4,000. As of AYC, ACD... I just need to tell you people if you haven't checked out the J-spec's video... if you are planning to drive the car on track with these goodies pushing out its limit (so novice drivers 'd abuse likely), the car might just scare you. These goodies might make you riding like a Pro on your local curly street or take it on a off ramp, on ramp... so perhaps if without AYC, ACD... the Evo might be more easy for maintanence... oh
what the heck,,, why 'd I write these stuff...

Anyway..., I think it is a real treat from Mitsubishi USA to bring over the Evolution VIII (if as well equipped as their J-spec VII) and be able to warrant it through the next 3 years or 36,000. Basically I know the Evo will carry a higher maintanence cost than any of their vehicle ever. Perhaps in the long run higher than 3000GT VR4. And as the ACD, AYC died out... you are going to pay more by ordering a new set from Japan. Anyway... is your $$. however if you wish to keep one just to go Ebay or babying it in your garage... still your choice.

As of the markup, i think it is fair to pay the local dealer/sales abit more cos' they deserved. My last visit of a Mitsu dealership was 96 or 97 when I took my galant there for warranty service. Overheard a few guys taking delivery of their Eclipse gs-t convertible for ~$28k. Anyway if Mitsu USA ever bring over the real Evo VIII (after the VII) I think 4500 units are probably what they 'd make. (they made less for their Japan locale market), 8000 'd be a treat. or you might have to wait till 2004 for the next round... or perhaps that will be called Evo IX (9).

But if Mitsubishi is just going to compete against the 227 hp WRX, the cedia 4wd turbo makes alot of sense. Yes, without Brembo, without Recaro, might be without AYC, ACD; but only the limited differential. Then you might expect to get one yourself at a reasonable amount of $25k~28k, and there might be still a fews left at their year end clearance.

hope I am wrong laaaa.... but Japan Mitsubishi is about a few selfish rulers who don't care to bring the best stuff to alien countries. They won't be meeting every demand especially for foreign people...?? hehe...
Old Sep 26, 2002 | 11:08 PM

If there will be approximately 8 lan evos per dealer, that actually is pretty good. Most of the time people don't want to spend 30k+ on a vehicle. Only the rich doozers will have the fat wallets. I've emailed 5 mitsu dealers here in FL. One dealer had the pre-order B/S set up, "we have 4, already sold one @ $39k. The other 4 dealers 2 in Orlando, 1 in Tampa, 1 in Gainesville, told me that that one dealer is full of it. The one in G-ville quoted $32-34. Everyone is excited but no one wants to be overcharged. Remember that Acura Integra Type R? Released in 2000. Used Type R's in lots 2001, supposedly a "limited" supply. That's like the company saying... "we want limited profit."
Old Sep 27, 2002 | 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

I disagree somewhat. In the grand scheme of things 30k isnt that much for a car. Maybe for a mitsu, but I mean you cant even get into a new Audi or BMW for that much money. I think there will be plenty of people willing to pay 30k for the car and then plenty more that will pay over MSRP. I mean if people werent able and stupid enough to pay a surplus fee, dealers wouldnt get away with charging one.
Old Sep 27, 2002 | 07:36 AM

Well, my point was, that everyone is all hyped up with money+ in hand clawing over each other to be first in line. What I wanted to show was how everyone (like the Honda enthusiasts like myself) are not thinking of the "big picture." Lay people (non-import enthusiasts) looking at the WRX didn't really know what they were looking at, the ones that did know that it was a World Rally Cup champ via Colin McRae waited and bought one $25k out the door. I can vouch for the Honda enthusiasts, we heard the word "limited" on the Integra Type R, never expecting to see the Holy grail of JDM performance in Gweedo's Used Car Sales. It looks as if Mitus cult leaders are in a hurry to put the over-time hours hoping to the first in line, like the "Furby ****'s" doing an all nighter at Walmart. This time a simple email put me on a waiting list for the Lan Evo from a Gainseville dealer, and I didn't have to shell out any benjamins. I'll be notified as soon as the beloved AWDer's hit dry dock. If he goes 500 bones over msrp, it'll look like I'm gettin a Scooby, just like ma man McRae!
Old Sep 27, 2002 | 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

If delears do indeed mark up the evo a significant amount I think everyone should ( i know i will) write mitsu and complain that you want to buy their product but can't find anyone willing to sell it anywhere near their suggested price. Maybe it will persuade them to make more.
Old Sep 28, 2002 | 04:45 AM

I dug up some old SSC rags, Super Street, Car and Driver... found one back from 2001 when they initialized the Lancer rumors, it was interesting to see how the rumors evolved, but still no certainties. I for one, pray to the gods to have them hurry the hell up!