Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 Chain like noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 9 Chain like noise from rear

So i notice when i go over bumps, or drive on a uneven road, i hear this chain like noise from the right rear, it sounds like if i was dragging a chain. Any ideas what it would be? Im guessing the noise started today because yesterday i didnt hear any noise. All help greatly appreciated. Edit- i think its from the rear i had a friend in the passenger seat and was told it sounds like its coming from the rear
Old May 12, 2013, 08:25 PM

If it makes any difference. I have a 06 gsr, mods that I know of, are walbaro 225 fuel pump, aftermarket injectors not sure which ones, tunabi cat back, no catalytic converter, after market intake. It recently got slotted and drilled rotors I stalled and new break pads. It's tuned but idk to what( don't know about tunes) I have the dyno paper work tho. Can anything installed cause something that sounds like chains being dragged ?
Old May 13, 2013, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
does that noise occur only when you hit the bump, then once the road smooths out it goes away? Or does the noise continue? I ask this because if you hit a bump and it clunks or clanks, it could be multiple things.

For example:
-exhaust hitting something
-rear sway bar link, or sway bar bushings worn out
-rear control arm bushing worn out
-rear strut mount
Old May 13, 2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by donzilla2004
does that noise occur only when you hit the bump, then once the road smooths out it goes away? Or does the noise continue? I ask this because if you hit a bump and it clunks or clanks, it could be multiple things.

For example:
-exhaust hitting something
-rear sway bar link, or sway bar bushings worn out
-rear control arm bushing worn out
-rear strut mount

Only only bumps or uneven roads. It goes away after. No clunks or clanks either. I think I found out what it is. I think it is the splash, dust shield behind the right rotor. I didn't get a chance to completely check it out because it was late but, if I hit the Right rear wheel with my hand, I can hear a rattling noise, and when I hold the splash shield and hit it the noise stops, so I'm assuming it is that. Maybe the shield is loose or something?
Old May 13, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
It is very possible its the dust plate behind the rotor. I would make sure that you don't have any other rattles from exhaust heat shields underneath either. I can't imagine it being something huge causing the noise.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:17 AM

I'm check on that today after work, hopefully that is what's making the noise.