Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil feed to block won't thread?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil feed to block won't thread?

Chaps...

For my stupid question of the day today...

The oil feed hardline at the block will not thread in. It feels like it will catch a thread or 2, and then just snaps back out.

The bolt threads in just fine with the hardline out of the way. Presumably, I just need to line it up better (although it appears to be practically perfect)?

Just wondering if there's a trick I don't know about.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using a 1/8 npt plug?

Edit: disregard that ^ I thought it was for a oil sending unit

Is this the oil line going from the block to the head on the back of the motor? Under the intake manifold there is a bolt I took off to make it easier. Mine did the same thing as you described, I took a socket and played with it while wiggling the hardline. It should bolt up but dont strip the threads

Last edited by Czarcasm; May 23, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Czarcasm
Are you using a 1/8 npt plug?
It's whatever the stock plug and piping are.

Came out no problem. Removed the turbo, swapped manifolds, and O2 housing. Banjo bolt threads in without the line with absolutely no fuss. Put the line on, and it won't bite.

I'm guessing the hardline has to be slightly misaligned. Something fishy is going on that in my sleep deprived state, I'm missing.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so you swapped the exhaust manifold with an aftermarket one? Seems like its misaligned, might have to stretch it to fit. Dont bend it too much to snap the line
Old May 23, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Czarcasm
Ok so you swapped the exhaust manifold with an aftermarket one? Seems like its misaligned, might have to stretch it to fit. Dont bend it too much to snap the line
Yeah. Stock mani to toxicfab. It looks all lined up, just isn't catching. If there's no trick or anything that I'm missing though... I'll just spend some time aligning it, and get it sorted.

Don't have many options really. It either goes in and the car works, or it doesn't, and it stays in the garage.
Old May 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will have to slightly bend the line until it is a PERFECT line up to the head. The toxicfab manifold is great stuff but I'm sure its just very slightly off.
Put the bolt in the line up to the head and look at it from every angle and you will see which angle is off.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll jump in here to mention the line was more then likely under slight tension when installed previously (almost always are)

My stock replacement manifolds are 100% identical placement to stock. I test this this on each manifold I build. I have three stock manifolds that get put in the fixture the manifolds are built in to assure the fit is flawless. Unlike most, each runner I build Is 100% stress relieved before being welded to the collector/head flange. This means the manifold does not have tension from the welding process keeping the manifold placement spot on.

If there are further issues please feel free to email for some help, I stand behind my products 100% and I'm glad to help.

Thanks, Collin
Old May 24, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This hardline is always a pain to get back in. Do not force it in as you will eventually tear up the threads. I eventually blocked this off and used the FP line that connects to the oil filter housing.

You just have to slight bend the hard line to get it to line up correctly. Good luck.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToxicFab
I'll jump in here to mention the line was more then likely under slight tension when installed previously (almost always are)

My stock replacement manifolds are 100% identical placement to stock. I test this this on each manifold I build. I have three stock manifolds that get put in the fixture the manifolds are built in to assure the fit is flawless. Unlike most, each runner I build Is 100% stress relieved before being welded to the collector/head flange. This means the manifold does not have tension from the welding process keeping the manifold placement spot on.

If there are further issues please feel free to email for some help, I stand behind my products 100% and I'm glad to help.

Thanks, Collin
Collin, thanks for chiming in.

A couple of things.

1. The hardline of course moved slightly, so there was the tension.

2. When I pulled the turbo, the whole thing got caught on something, and I'm holding this heavy a** thing trying to figure it out, and sure enough... it's the hardline, so I bent it around slightly.

3. I was able to get it threaded in after wrestling with the ANGLE of the banjo fitting rather than it's placement, so no worries.

4. The manifold I have, is used, and it's probably a relatively early manifold that you did, because it lacks the radioactive plate. As someone with good welding experience, it certainly LOOKS to me like your handywork, and the fellow I bought it off of said that you had verified it to be yours. My point is... the work looks and feels great, but I didn't want to imply that there were some issues with your manifold when there aren't, and I couldn't even say for certain that it's your manifold.

For anyone searching/reading looking for tips.

The way we were able to get it was to loosen the oil feed line stabilizer bolt (10mm) on the turbo. Then, because it was unfeasible to loosen the oil line itself on the turbo due to clearance, we loosened the bolts holding the manifold to the block. This gave us just enough movement in the whole unit to get the oil feed threaded.

As is typically the case, it was literally a game of mm.

Anyway. Go team... and such.