Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ricer evo project - should i buy it?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricer evo project - should i buy it?

Hey guys i am in the market on buying an evo, i currently drive an 08 4dr civic si and i wanted to upgrade to something better and that had awd since up here in minnesota winter sucks. I ran across this hideous evo for dirt cheap with 50k miles was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase it and try to get it back to stock form. Motor looks stock except for an aftermarket bov and an upgraded turbo.

Would this be a good idea?
Heres a pic

unless someone wants to trade their evo for an 08 civic si
Old May 23, 2013, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the roadrash on the front tells me that its been abused... but in reality you can't tell much from this plain pic.... more under the hood and what not would help... usually people who do stupid **** to like this to a car such as this don't have any clue what they are doing... which typically means this car is ****ed... personally i know how to fix everything top to bottom on an evo so it wouldn't be to much for me... but if you are unsure in your abilities i would say don't waste your time. the shop time to repair this pos will cost more then its worth...
Old May 23, 2013, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

WOW just WOW

I would take it somewhere and get a mechanical report done, Get them to cheek all oils, brake fluid, antifreeze, clutch and suspension bushings along as these are ok then you could have a fine evo under the hood and just horrible paint job.

Looks like he has been tailgating logging trucks
Old May 24, 2013, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure to check it out in detail.
If something is wrong with the drivetrain, youll be in for one huge headache.
Besides the exterior, you should check ALL the fluids under the hood.
Im saying that because I wouldnt expect you to check something like rear diff fluid lol.
That alone gives you a better clue if the car was abused or neglected.
Then visual inspection of the rest of the car led by your gut.
If you are still interested after that, I would have a shop take a look at it in further detail to help you get more details on the car.

For me, the picture isnt enough to judge the condition, but I have a good feeling that the car was abused and the previous owner didnt know what they were doing.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

depends on how "cheap" it is.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:43 AM

i definetly will have a shop take a look at it, hopefully its just the aesthetic modifications that need a fix. heres a pic of the engine bay
Looks like somethings may have been done it as i notice theres an aftermarket bov and its missing the heat shield
the guy has all oem body parts except for a front bumper so visually it would just need a new bumper and a paint job mechanically, that is unknown

Old May 24, 2013, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Did you read the CL posting? It's been linked on EvoMN.net a few times now. Salvage title and the guy talks about putting some ball bearing turbo on it-but didn't have it retuned after.

The general consensus on EvoMN was to not touch it with a 10ft pole.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:31 AM

What a monstrosity. If its salvaged, get a good price. Double check with a good mechanic on this one. On a side note, the zebra stripes are terrible.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Get it checked out buy a credible evo shop. Do an engine compression test and all that jazz before you commit to buy it. Also it seems to have a bit of rust. The cosmetic portion isn't that hard to fix.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Would not touch.
Old May 24, 2013, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet everything leaks about this evo. 4K-6K would be the max I'd pay. That would mean replacing all the hideous bodykit($700), blown/rusted shocks ($200-300), maybe leaking headlights, beat up engine, clutch and transfercase fluids, transmission fluids (easily pass $3000). Then you have the 60K timing service you need to do($500) and a tune($300). Everything is faded on it, if not its rusting(more $$$). Its too much trying to restore this crap. If its possible to keep restoration when its said and done totaling 10K it might be worth it for 50K evo with salave title.
The salvage title itself, total price of restoring it and how long you plan on keeping it should be circulating in your mind. GL

Last edited by Sil'vr-Boi6; May 24, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: price change
Old May 24, 2013, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

That Evo if it has 50k on it, has had a very hard 50k... I would keep looking in my opinion. God knows what issues lie beneath that thing.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea.... Umm yeah, only mod for best horsepower was the hks bov vent to atmosphere.

A retard drove this car and did not take care of it
Old May 24, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo has hit classic status and I if you're into Evos I'd give it a try. I'd personally only offer 2k or even 2.5k with that title and start from there. Plan on like *Boi6 said, spending about ~8k to get it back into shape.

The chassis and frame are really not that bad to tweak / tune up, and I would add in to that list a set of suspension bushings, and a frame alignment / checkout. Get those rust spots out of the front, even if you need a new front subframe ring.

The Evo is surprisingly easy to repair.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol I thought you meant STM's Ricer..

Quick Reply: Ricer evo project - should i buy it?