Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Im sorry to ask but...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im sorry to ask but...

I have a legitimate question, Ive asked on my local forums and I know the info they gave me is true and honest. Yet, that still didn't improve my situation and I really want ideas from everyone here.

I am tuned to 24psi on the IX turbo tapering to 21psi(ish) depending on load and conditions. The taper starts to happen around 5500rpm I would say, without going external wastegate how would I go about getting the IX turbo to flow 24psi to redline with little to no taper. I am running a FFTEC 3port EBS and the locals are saying it is "normal" which I am not fine with, I plan to switch over to e85 VERY SOON and want to push more boost (max the IX out) Im guessing around 30psi on e85 and I want it to hold till redline without falling off, to me that is lost power....please help I am guessing a 25psi FP wastegate is my answer or manual boost controller?

Last edited by mitsubeastlee; Jun 2, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
You wont get it to hold boost to redline it's a 16g turbo. Name of the game. You don't like it buy a bigger turbo

Even on E85 it'll drop like a rock in the higher RPM.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no EWG? It's really your only option other than going bigger turbo... On my WRX, I held 21lbs. all the way through redline on a VF43. If noise is what's holding you back, you can route it back into your downpipe. Otherwise, there's really no downside to it.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousEvo
Why no EWG? It's really your only option other than going bigger turbo... On my WRX, I held 21lbs. all the way through redline on a VF43. If noise is what's holding you back, you can route it back into your downpipe. Otherwise, there's really no downside to it.
It's cause these are Subarus for one. You will do damage to the turbo if you tell it to hold more pressure causing it to possibly over spin. You could do a stronger wga, but by doing that if your not running that much boost again you will overspin the turbo being its not letting off pressure. Only way to get away with it is with a ebc. It will open the wg but the boost pressure will stay consistent being you will be able to tell the ecu to hold it that way.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The turbo is already spinning faster than it is designed to. If you do a boost leak teat and the system doesn't leak then you are just out of Turbo. A compressor upgrade will help to maintain boost but even the upgrades stock Turbo's fall off at higher rpm. The pressure in the turbine housing could also be pushing the wg flapper open. If that is the case an external gate would help.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can shim the waste gate actuator with a few washers, should hold a few more psi.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
I am tuned to 24psi on the IX turbo tapering to 21psi(ish) depending on load and conditions. The taper starts to happen around 5500rpm I would say, without going external wastegate how would I go about getting the IX turbo to flow 24psi to redline with little to no taper.
24 to 21 psi is almost no taper at all actually. I've seen a lot worse with a stock IX turbo. You can get the boost to hold up top with a 3-port or 3-port + MBC (hybrid boost control) but its not necessarily a good idea. You are going to overwork a restrictive turbo. If you want higher flow up top you should go to a different turbo.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 06:51 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
24 to 21 psi is almost no taper at all actually. I've seen a lot worse with a stock IX turbo. You can get the boost to hold up top with a 3-port or 3-port + MBC (hybrid boost control) but its not necessarily a good idea. You are going to overwork a restrictive turbo. If you want higher flow up top you should go to a different turbo.
Agreed.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

3port and port the stocker!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Mine spikes to 28 and I believe it tapers off at like 26 on E85.
I'd say you're going to be hard pressed to find a way to stay at 30psi the whole way
through the powerband w/ stock turbo
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well thanks for responding guys, yeah I was thinking external was prob gonna be the best route to force the sucker to hold more. Yeah I'm getting "your gonna force it to overspin and over work" a lot and I totally believe that but I'm not too worried about killing the IX turbo because I plan to only run this setup for at most 6 months while I collect the twinscroll 6466 hot parts custom kit I'm trying to build. I would set my defi peak warning to 25psi to try and keep the turbo happy for as long as possible and only rape her when racing.

I guess I just miss the billet 5858 I used to run on my Honda lol, it ripped from 3800rpm to 8k HARD. Anyways...

I am open downpipe so I could care less about a screamer pipe aka external dump, but if you were to build one what would be the cheapest route to go of looking for extrnal options? I just want to make 400/400mustang on theIX turbo but iI don't want it to fall to 350whp from lets say 5k to redline. Thanks again
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're putting together another kit, why are you chasing numbers on what you have now if you're only planning on staying that way for 6 months? May as well not grenade the turbo and make some money back.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
I am open downpipe so I could care less about a screamer pipe aka external dump, but if you were to build one what would be the cheapest route to go of looking for extrnal options? I just want to make 400/400mustang on theIX turbo but iI don't want it to fall to 350whp from lets say 5k to redline. Thanks again
400/400 Mustang on the stock IX turbo with E85 is do-able, but that turbo is going to be jacked up. It' just not designed to be run like that. I assume you mean you don't want the torque to fall off... but the turbo is too small to avoid it. The torque is going to plummet after 5k. If you are swapping in a larger turbo soon, like other posts said chasing numbers with the stocker is pointless. Just run safe boost levels and sell the OEM turbo, plenty of the VIII guys still want them, or people who want cores for stock frame rebuilds.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:26 PM

your best best is to just hold out for your new turbo and keep the boost safe for the time being. As everyone else said, you're going to overwork the turbo.