Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crate engines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Crate engines

Sooooo..... got an email today that Mitsu is doing a crate engine sale for IX and X engines.
More or less complete, oil pan to throttle body, alternator, intake, exhaust, turbo and clutches all installed. Dealer-set pricing, but the dealer cost is barely more than MSRP on a short block.

Anyone game?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
and the price is?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Price info please...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
and the price is?
Originally Posted by superbovine
Dealer-set pricing, but the dealer cost is barely more than MSRP on a short block.

I would wager most dealers will price this in the $5000 range, which while sounds like a lot is quite the steal considering not just the engine but the manifolds, complete clutch, turbo, alternator, etc.
Again, dealer-set pricing though, your mileage may vary.

Edit: Link to flyer
Edit: Internal flyer 1
Edit: Internal flyer 2

Last edited by superbovine; Jun 3, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Necro-bump.....

Mitsubishi is putting these kits together again for anyone thinking about an OEM engine. Lead time is 90 days, built to order.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
Necro-bump.....

Mitsubishi is putting these kits together again for anyone thinking about an OEM engine. Lead time is 90 days, built to order.
Typically who do you contact? I'd prefer an email or phone number than my clueless dealer. Is it shipped to a dealer or to your house? Sorry for all the questions. :-). I've always wanted to plastic wrap one of these and keep it in the back of the garage for a rainy day.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

According to one of the flyers you posted there is a special order form that is faxed to MMNA.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

You order through your local dealer; it would be shipped to them. If you ordered from an online dealer it could be shipped to home at the expense of freight and willingness of online dealer of course. The fax reference was an internal document I included for reference (And it is labeled as such, "Internal flyer").

The current build run actually has a few more options from that, as they are differentiating a few different X engines now (likely due to minor changes like valve cover etc). The IX engines are still the same of course.

If your local dealer sucks, I suggest shopping around. RC Hill Mitsubishi in Florida sells these in stock when they do a run as do a few other dealers down here. I could order them as too, but due to the nature of the internet and the wide range of evo dead beat buyers.... well, I wouldn't. Well not without a person in front of me with cash or cashiers check anyway :P

Anyway.... expect to see them popping up on ebay too as RC, Daytona, Coconut Creek area dealers are big on buying these when they do builds.

Just remember your warranty starts at the date of the sale, not the date of install.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering a block is now about $1800 a long block for $5k would be a steal!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

^^ It's a ridiculous deal even at MSRP. When you calculate in the loaded head, the exhaust and intake manifolds, the turbo, the throttle body, coils and injectors, the clutch... hell an alternator.... its a steal for sure no matter the price. It looks like MSRP is going to be a good $2000 less than last year too. I'm fighting the urge to get a IX engine for my DD VIII just for the sake of having it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks superbovine! I'll call the dealers here in NJ and find out who has even heard of this. I realize the warranty starts upon delivery that makes sense.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

If they are ignorant of the promotion, you can use these part numbers to brush them up. YMMV on pricing, but odds are when they see the cost versus retail they will likely deal on it.
GL
Attached Thumbnails Crate engines-intern.gif  
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting, i'll have to inquire
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Just called my local dealer in NJ and was quoted a price of $7800. Is this place marking up the motor or is this price legitimate?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:50 PM

Is this deal still valid since the flyers date back to 2013??? Has anyone at all confirmed the super low pricing?? If you get a good price please let us know from which dealer and where.

Quick Reply: Crate engines